Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Denver an OK team of nobodies. They aren't quite a title contending team yet but noone in the West wants to play them in the playoffs
Not now but early this season that is pretty much what everyone thought, along with Igoudala being a bust.

Playing them in the playoffs means coming here, nobody wants to play here in any sport except hockey and baseball this season of course.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Well that was fun while it lasted. Now another loss at SA is next. Hope they can turn it back on for the playoffs since this conference is weak.
New Orleans played out of their minds. Sometimes in the NBA the other team shoots 14-25 on 3's and you just get too far behind which makes the Heat streak so unbelievable.
The talk that the NBA is weaker now than in the early 70's is bizarre. Are there more bad teams? Sure but mostly because there are more teams. There are international players, no ABA competing for players and the sophistication of defenses and level of athleticism is not close. Not to mention the media spotlight is far more intense even if the travel is easier. There were some bad NBA teams that year too.

The year of the Lakers streak was Julius Ervings rookie season in the ABA. He averaged 27 ppg and 15 rebounds and that was only good enough for a 2nd team all ABA team selection.

NBA all stars Rick Barry, Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Zelmo Beaty, Charlie Scott, George McGinnis, Joe Caldwell, Hall of famer Mel Daniels, multiple ABA all stars Ralph Simpson, Ron Boone, Louis Dampier and Roger Brown arguably all in the top 40 players at that time, all didnt play in the NBA that year.

Winning 33 in a row in any pro sport in any era is an unbelievable accomplishment.

The West is weak? Compared to what? The ACC?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Not now but early this season that is pretty much what everyone thought, along with Igoudala being a bust.

Playing them in the playoffs means coming here, nobody wants to play here in any sport except hockey and baseball this season of course.
Who thought that? Skip Bayless?

They had a tough schedule early having to play 22 of 32 games on the road.
No one wants to play them in the playoffs not only because playing in Denver is tough but because they are young, deep and athletic, rebound like crazy and George Karl is a very good coach. They are 2nd in the league in steals, 1st in offensive rebounding, 2nd total rebounding, 3rd in assists, 3rd in blocked shots, 2nd in forcing turnovers, 1st in points and 3rd in points per game.

Tough to argue with those numbers.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Your insane if you actually believe this. One team is OK at best. With a ceiling of second round exit. The other team is going to go down as one of the all time great teams ever. With one of the all time great players ever. And a top 3 SG ever.
Come on man!

Top 3
Jordan
Kobe
Jerry West
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Who thought that? Skip Bayless?

They had a tough schedule early having to play 22 of 32 games on the road.
No one wants to play them in the playoffs not only because playing in Denver is tough but because they are young, deep and athletic, rebound like crazy and George Karl is a very good coach. They are 2nd in the league in steals, 1st in offensive rebounding, 2nd total rebounding, 3rd in assists, 3rd in blocked shots, 2nd in forcing turnovers, 1st in points and 3rd in points per game.

Tough to argue with those numbers.
touche on the schedule, I had forgotten about that. I cannot argue with the numbers or Karl but the expectations for this team were not anywhere near as high as they have played, at least not in this city.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
New Orleans played out of their minds. Sometimes in the NBA the other team shoots 14-25 on 3's and you just get too far behind which makes the Heat streak so unbelievable.
The talk that the NBA is weaker now than in the early 70's is bizarre. Are there more bad teams? Sure but mostly because there are more teams. There are international players, no ABA competing for players and the sophistication of defenses and level of athleticism is not close. Not to mention the media spotlight is far more intense even if the travel is easier. There were some bad NBA teams that year too.

The year of the Lakers streak was Julius Ervings rookie season in the ABA. He averaged 27 ppg and 15 rebounds and that was only good enough for a 2nd team all ABA team selection.

NBA all stars Rick Barry, Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Zelmo Beaty, Charlie Scott, George McGinnis, Joe Caldwell, Hall of famer Mel Daniels, multiple ABA all stars Ralph Simpson, Ron Boone, Louis Dampier and Roger Brown arguably all in the top 40 players at that time, all didnt play in the NBA that year.

Winning 33 in a row in any pro sport in any era is an unbelievable accomplishment.

The West is weak? Compared to what? The ACC?
That was tongue in cheek since the Heat are "unbeatable"
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Top 3
Jordan
Kobe
Jerry West
Fair enough. So he's 4th ever right now. He will ride Lebron to at least 2 more titles. When Wades done you can argue one of the greatest of all time.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Fair enough. So he's 4th ever right now. He will ride Lebron to at least 2 more titles. When Wades done you can argue one of the greatest of all time.
Being 4th best SG in basketball history would generally be considered one of the best of all time.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Flemington

Where would you rank Paul Pierce?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Where would you rank Paul Pierce?
He is not a SG
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Top 3
Jordan
Kobe
Jerry West
Not a big NBA guy but was George Gervin better than Wade? I understand Wade is probably a better defender and rebounder.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Flemington

Earl the Pearl

http://youtu.be/UBHYe_10lEg

Black Jesus

http://youtu.be/vZUUPZrsP_8
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Flemington

Quote:
He is not a SG
He's always been a combo 2-3.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
Not a big NBA guy but was George Gervin better than Wade? I understand Wade is probably a better defender and rebounder.
Uh no.

I loved George Gervin. Tried to emulate the finger roll for years. He could score from just about any angle, could put up points like crazy seemingly without breaking a sweat. But George wasn't much of a defender but at 6'8" he was a pretty good rebounder as a guard. He didn't seem to feel the need to do too much passing either. There really has never been another player like him that I can remember.

I know that it seems that virtually every white person on the planet hates him, but Allen Iverson is probably in the conversation as number 5 with Gervin.

Last edited by Cannon Shell : 03-27-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
He's always been a combo 2-3.
Paul Pierce is, has, was and always will be considered a small forward. He is the epitome of small forward. When you look up small forward in the dictionary Paul Pierce is staring out at you.

Interesting Paul Pierce factoid. Last year when they were playing the Sixers in the playoffs a friend of mine was playing cards at Parx when Paul Pierce arrived and sat down at his table. Said he was a competent player and this guy passes out card playing compliments like manhole covers.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Flemington

Chuck I like picking your brain. If you took the original NBA top 50 and did it over right now. Who gets kicked off, and who from this era makes it?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Chuck I like picking your brain. If you took the original NBA top 50 and did it over right now. Who gets kicked off, and who from this era makes it?
Who knows? It is hard to compare era's. Do you rate a guy versus how he was against his time period or try to compare overall? I can't really rate the guys who played before the mid 70's very well because not only didn't I see them there isn't much TV footage from that time period.

I know the Marvin Gaye All-Star game National Anthem is the unquestioned number 1 version.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I dont know if you read books but there is a great book about the ABA called Loose Balls by Terry Pluto.

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-Balls-Am...ds=loose+balls

Some of the stories told are priceless.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Being 4th best SG in basketball history would generally be considered one of the best of all time.
Better than AI or drexler? I don't think so.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Better than AI or drexler? I don't think so.
Iverson is better then Wade?? No shot.