Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Is this your version of Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmations?

But excuse you, as you digress, since I never mentioned a head nod in reference to Havre De Grace.

Who cares? The examining veterinarian noted a grade 1-1.5 lameness on his report.

I know that now. The horse smells bad and tastes funny.

How are you gonna "show" me? It's not a visual thing. Don't worry, I'll stock up on some palate cleansers in preparation.

But Dr. Bramlage said the mare was lame. You said she was not. Which is it?

I wonder what Dr. Bramlage looks like then...

Sure, as soon as you apologize to Dr. Bramlage for calling him a fool.

Poor Rollo ... no, Havre de Grace is not lame. She is not limping. There is no "lameness" when a lameness exam is rated 1/5. As you found out, when you quickly googled "horse lameness" to find out what I was talking about when I said 1/5 isn't visibly lame or limping.

I'm sorry that you are ignorant of veterinary medical charting, and you have confused the exam findings of " 1/5 lame" to mean she's lame, rather than a score of 1/5 on her lameness exam (you know, rather than "1/5 card ausc" for example)

Because you'll note that the diagnosis section doesn't include any lameness. Just a small technicality.

Good thing we have your internet expertise to correct the professionals! Even though you've made a fool of yourself. Perhaps you should have just gone away when I noted mildly to you that "1/5 isn't visibly limping"? Rather than you doubling down on something you now absolutely nothing about?

No, Rollo. The mare was not limping. I'm glad her trainer found this injury during routine inspection, before she went out on the track again. Some would not.

Now - at this point you started telling me that I was wrong and the mare was lame. If I were you, after all this, I'd just either apologize for being an azz, not being familiar with either lameness scales and what they mean or how to read the "examination" section of a medical report, or just possibly fade away in embarrassment.

I don't care that you don't like me. But when you attack me with your ignorance it's just ... sad. For you.

And I know Dr. Bramlage, I'll be sure and tell him you said hello next time I'm at R & R
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts

Last edited by Riot : 04-23-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Oriental Park

riot. next time u are at r n r tell them they charged me too much for a semen viability.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid View Post
riot. next time u are at r n r tell them they charged me too much for a semen viability.
Your own, or a horses?

Sorry, couldn't resist ...
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Oriental Park

A horse.

I'm like War Emblem
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
A horse.

I'm like War Emblem
TMI, thanks, I deserved that
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Oriental Park

You had it coming

no pun
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Poor Rollo ... no, Havre de Grace is not lame. She is not limping. There is no "lameness" when a lameness exam is rated 1/5.
Pure insanity. What you are saying is that there is no lameness when the lameness is difficult to observe.

Actually, sounds like denial. And more talking in circles.

Quote:
Because you'll note that the diagnosis section doesn't include any lameness. Just a small technicality.
Is a detectable lameness considered a "diagnosis" or a "clinical sign"? Maybe you can rally some 3rd year vet students to come to your aid on this one.

Just a small technicality.

Quote:
And I know Dr. Bramlage, I'll be sure and tell him you said hello next time I'm at R & R
Do they receive mental patients at Rood and Riddle?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You had it coming

no pun
Groan
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Pure insanity. What you are saying is that there is no lameness when the lameness is difficult to observe.
Yes, imagine that! Sometimes way of going, stride length, leg weighting, arc of limb movement, etc. changes, and there are positive signs on various movement or flexion tests, and yet the horse isn't "lame".

But you knew that
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Santa Anita

If a horse gets a 1/5 on a lameness exam in the middle of a forest, do we still argue about it?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
If a horse gets a 1/5 on a lameness exam in the middle of a forest, do we still argue about it?
Naw We thank HDG barn manager for finding the heat in her ankle, and regret we don't get to see her run any more. And wonder what's her reserve, and who she'll be bred to to next year.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i can imagine it...very well actually! she'd buy several good ones.
"several good ones" - If you have money you can buy "several good ones" all you want. Once you put them on the track in a race, try and keep them happy and healthy, well, that takes "several good ones" to another place.

I think it was the owner of Lava Man that said something about why he would not take any of the offers he was getting for LM. Something like, what was he going to do with the money? Try and purchase "several good ones" and come up with another Lava Man?

Same concept with HDG. Just saying, If that were my filly I would hold on to her.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Belmont Park

I know Dr Riot is a Vet it just seems Rollo is a better one and he is an internet nobody.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59 View Post
"several good ones" - If you have money you can buy "several good ones" all you want. Once you put them on the track in a race, try and keep them happy and healthy, well, that takes "several good ones" to another place.

I think it was the owner of Lava Man that said something about why he would not take any of the offers he was getting for LM. Something like, what was he going to do with the money? Try and purchase "several good ones" and come up with another Lava Man?

Same concept with HDG. Just saying, If that were my filly I would hold on to her.
as rick porter explained, it's part of his business plan to sell his horses when they're done racing. that money he gets out of them at sales makes up for money he spends at sales. that he can't afford a large broodmare band. he named two horses that he kept because he became attached to them. yeah, hdg gets a lot of press, but rick has other horses that maybe don't do so well at the track-but still cost him money. he's not the only one who does this, and i can understand why. as chuck said a few years ago, whether a horse is fast or slow, it costs tens of thousands to keep just one in training-and that's just for basic upkeep. i doubt most of porters buys get what HDG potentially can earn when he sells them.
he's in racing, not breeding. HDG is no longer a racer...he'll sell her to enable him to remain in the racing game. makes perfect sense.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Coach Pants

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Who is she?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Please, just admit you overlooked the first part of the report and let's move on.

If you're too proud to put it in writing, a consistently observable head nod will be taken as a "yes" instead.
I dont know about this one.. 1 / 5 isnt really lame.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
as rick porter explained, it's part of his business plan to sell his horses when they're done racing. that money he gets out of them at sales makes up for money he spends at sales. that he can't afford a large broodmare band. he named two horses that he kept because he became attached to them. yeah, hdg gets a lot of press, but rick has other horses that maybe don't do so well at the track-but still cost him money. he's not the only one who does this, and i can understand why. as chuck said a few years ago, whether a horse is fast or slow, it costs tens of thousands to keep just one in training-and that's just for basic upkeep. i doubt most of porters buys get what HDG potentially can earn when he sells them.
he's in racing, not breeding. HDG is no longer a racer...he'll sell her to enable him to remain in the racing game. makes perfect sense.
It all about the money, not the horse. I get it. For some it would be all about the horse. That's my point.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I know Dr Riot is a Vet it just seems Rollo is a better one and he is an internet nobody.
I'm no fan of Riot but she explained what 1 / 5 lame is and she is correct.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
I'm no fan of Riot but she explained what 1 / 5 lame is and she is correct.
I agree she is a fine Vet. I bet she has neutered at least 100 cats.

Last edited by freddymo : 04-24-2012 at 10:10 AM.