Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Blue Eyes

Medaglia D'Oro will be the next Super Stud.

Last edited by Blue Eyes : 06-18-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyes
Medaglia D'Oro will be the next Super Stud.
you may be right on
Old 06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Dee Tee Stables

came home is already getting a lot of notice.
i like mineshaft as well. he's the heir apparent to ap indy.

as for some of the horses who will pass on unsoundness, GZ would never get near any mare i had. and you can pay 200k to get that fragility. hey, go for it.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
What about this guy?

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/isd...ion_no=4299496

Hasn't had anything great yet, but he's definitely a nice looking stallion.
I liked Include as a racehorse, but the fact is taht sons of Broad Brush haven't been a success as stallions and I could never breed to them until they were proven....not enough speed in the family..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Rockhardten Just a big boy.

I absolutely loved this horse...might be the best looking horse I have ever seen....couldn't take my eyes off of him...but, sons of Kris S. haven't been very good sires and a lot of bloodstock agents believe that Rock Hard Ten will suffer because of his paternal side.....I'm very anxious to see how he turns out...his foals should have a lot of size, at least...I actually considered him for my best mare before going to Vindication..
Old 06-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I absolutely loved this horse...might be the best looking horse I have ever seen....couldn't take my eyes off of him...but, sons of Kris S. haven't been very good sires and a lot of bloodstock agents believe that Rock Hard Ten will suffer because of his paternal side.....I'm very anxious to see how he turns out...his foals should have a lot of size, at least...I actually considered him for my best mare before going to Vindication..
Joel, its slighty off the topic, but yet somewhat related. I am wondering what you think of the stud possibilities for the last few darling three year olds, Afleet Alex and Smarty Jones?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Joel, its slighty off the topic, but yet somewhat related. I am wondering what you think of the stud possibilities for the last few darling three year olds, Afleet Alex and Smarty Jones?

Whew, that's a toughy and I'll be bruttally honest...

I think Smarty Jones will get every chance to be a good stallion obviously because he is getting an unbelievable book of mares....Personally, I think he will only be okay when you look back on him and consider the mares he is getting....he was never a big horse and i question his pedigree to a degree..with that being said, Elusive Quality has a solid reputation and its not like he is horribly bred....I percieve Elusive Oualitys to get good racehorses more so than good stallions, if that makes any sense at all. (same principle of broodmare sires who can get producers but not necessarily good racemares)

The market allows for him to stand for $100K right now but I would not at all be surprised to see him come way down after a few crops hit the track....just my opinion....I always thought Lemon Drop Kid was way overpriced at $100K and would not prove to be a great stallion ad now he stands for $20K...we'll see, but if I had $100K I would rather go to Empire Maker or Pulpit or another stud....we'll see.

But with that being said, I also thought Mineshaft would prove to be a very good sire at $100K and it looks like I will be wrong because everybody is really cold and concerned about his babies...not nearly as good as expected and now his stud fee looks like it will plumit in a year ot two...

As for Afleet Alex, I personaly thing he was a better horse than Smarty Jones and had tremendous ability...on his best day he could beat about any horse in the world...I really believe that...his 3/8 of a mile burst was maybe the best I've ever seen (but I'm young).

With that being said, he has a very uninspiring pedigree and will be labled as a Skip Away or Silver Charm (and any other great horse that had a subpar pedigree) until he proves that he can produce past his pedigree.

I, for one, think he'll be the type of horse who will have some really fast horses and some really bad horses, and will be a useful stallion at a certain level...now, will $40,000 be the level?...he'll probably drop from there. But, I see him having a more prductive stallion career than some of the greats I mentioned above at a solid fee range of around $20-$30 K...we'll see
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Well I'm not Joel, but I think Afleet Alex might turn out to be a very good sire. He is out of a Hawkster mare, and Hawkster could run short or long, turf or dirt and be effective (and I think he once set a world reecord for 12f). He also won G1 stakes at 2, 3 and 4.
Afleet Alex actually has a few really good turf runners on his dam side (I believe former US grass horse of the year Hawaii) and AA won stakes races on dirt from 6f all the way to 12f. His offspring could be very versitile runners. I like his chances a lot.

As for Smarty Jones. I loved him as a racehorse, and I hope he turns out to be a great sire, but I am just really not sure.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Idlewild Airport

Mineshaft...
Old 06-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Randwyck

Cunningham, my question to you re: Mineshaft:

No matter how ugly/awkward/ etc.......his offspring appear to be now, don't you think breeders will at least wait until they run before judging him? Ok, maybe he won't sire the big, good-looking horses that sell well, but he is was still a superior racehorse with a superior pedigree and still has every right to be a great sire. Are stud fees set based on expected yearling sales prices or racetrack performance? If the former, then based on the lack of buzz, I guess I can understand why his stud fee would go down. However, isn't it still all about performance? How can any farm manager who dislikes Mineshaft's foals possibly even know whether they can run or not?I guess what I don't understand is that he was very highly regarded coming off the track; he was expected to be AP Indy's successor. Why is that not still possible? It makes no sense. Mineshaft hasn't lost his genetic ability between the time he retired and now - his pedigree is still the same. What is different, other than his foals are not precocious?

I would sincerely hope that, since Mineshaft was AP Indy's best horse (although Pulpit was right up there - he was brilliant) and the best hope to carry on the Bold Ruler line (what are the odds on Vindication being anywhere near as good as Indy at stud? Not very good, no matter how nice his foals are), breeders will at least give him a shot to suceeed before calling him a dud and forcing Lane's End to send him to Japan. How depressing -IMO,Mineshaft is still a better prospect at stud than Empire Maker and before he even gets off the ground, he's already deemed a failure.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:50 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Cunningham, my question to you re: Mineshaft:

No matter how ugly/awkward/ etc.......his offspring appear to be now, don't you think breeders will at least wait until they run before judging him? Ok, maybe he won't sire the big, good-looking horses that sell well, but he is was still a superior racehorse with a superior pedigree and still has every right to be a great sire. Are stud fees set based on expected yearling sales prices or racetrack performance? If the former, then based on the lack of buzz, I guess I can understand why his stud fee would go down. However, isn't it still all about performance? How can any farm manager who dislikes Mineshaft's foals possibly even know whether they can run or not?I guess what I don't understand is that he was very highly regarded coming off the track; he was expected to be AP Indy's successor. Why is that not still possible? It makes no sense. Mineshaft hasn't lost his genetic ability between the time he retired and now - his pedigree is still the same. What is different, other than his foals are not precocious?

I would sincerely hope that, since Mineshaft was AP Indy's best horse (although Pulpit was right up there - he was brilliant) and the best hope to carry on the Bold Ruler line (what are the odds on Vindication being anywhere near as good as Indy at stud? Not very good, no matter how nice his foals are), breeders will at least give him a shot to suceeed before calling him a dud and forcing Lane's End to send him to Japan. How depressing -IMO,Mineshaft is still a better prospect at stud than Empire Maker and before he even gets off the ground, he's already deemed a failure.
it may not be that they are ugly/awkward but actually twisted/crooked--he may have a lot of foals getting their ankles done, or they may be over or back @ the knee etc...not that I have actually seen his foals but it's a possiblity. If they are seeing serious faults in a large sample of his get that can be a problem. Happens all the time with some of the best, how often do you hear someone say 'he's very correct for a storm cat'....

Last edited by paisjpq : 06-18-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Arlington Park

smarty jones was a very good horse and had great determination.
afleet alex, i think, had more overall talent and just as much if not more determination.he could have been a great horse. i'd love to seen alex on the turf!
if they can pass along their determination qualities, their youngster will do well.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:08 PM
pgardn

This is interesting, but it kind of makes me sick. I watch racing to see athletes run.

A sample of my nausea, a direct quote from Bloodhorse, Throroughbred Champions of the 20th century:

Easy Goer died at the age of eight after having sired JUST 136 foals in four years. The son of Alydar didn't have enough time to PROVE HIS WORTH...

Alrighty then. WTF is this supposed to mean?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Mineshaft...
mineshaft the best since the bid randy? i know you love the horse but how do you come to that conclusion? who did mineshaft beat? by the way in case if you forgot mineshaft ducked out and didnt show for racings biggest day. sheet numbers and beating 5 horse fields dont make you "great" or the best since any1
Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
mineshaft the best since the bid randy? i know you love the horse but how do you come to that conclusion? who did mineshaft beat? by the way in case if you forgot mineshaft ducked out and didnt show for racings biggest day. sheet numbers and beating 5 horse fields dont make you "great" or the best since any1
Playa.
Mineshaft ran against 5 horse fields because everyone was scared to death to get on the track with him. Those other horses were expecting a share of the purse money. Good God. Think back on how many times Frankel ran away with Megs... It was ridiculous. Everyone knew they would not beat this guy so they ran AWAY. The only way you beat this guy was to completely weigh him down. And thats when you get the really good races, like with PD. This was a tremendous animal. I loved his running style. One of the most efficient horses I have ever watched.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 PM
pgardn

Oh yes.

And I hope all of these guys offspring are complete flops.
Keep em on the track if they are healthy.
Keep em running.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
This is interesting, but it kind of makes me sick. I watch racing to see athletes run.

A sample of my nausea, a direct quote from Bloodhorse, Throroughbred Champions of the 20th century:

Easy Goer died at the age of eight after having sired JUST 136 foals in four years. The son of Alydar didn't have enough time to PROVE HIS WORTH...

Alrighty then. WTF is this supposed to mean?
In the first few years a stallion is at stud, breeders often have no idea about which type of mares will go best with him. Early in his stud career, Damascus was expected to sire stamina, so he was given speedy mares but it turned out that Big D sired his dam's speed and needed staying mares to sire anything more than sprinters. With his early death, Easy Goer didn't get a chance to get the adjustment to his matings that would have given him the best shot as a stallion.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
Playa,

I can only go by what I've seen. He was ducked like nobody else. He ran for Howard who is as clean as it gets. He was never asked in any of his races. Like I said all I do is watch races. He is the single best horse I've seen since I started watching. And say what you will about sheet numbers, they mean something and based on them only Ghostzapper has ever run faster (in history, not just the last 20 years) and that was 1 time. I know what I saw. I don't look to convince anyone else.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Playa,

I can only go by what I've seen. He was ducked like nobody else. He ran for Howard who is as clean as it gets. He was never asked in any of his races. Like I said all I do is watch races. He is the single best horse I've seen since I started watching. And say what you will about sheet numbers, they mean something and based on them only Ghostzapper has ever run faster (in history, not just the last 20 years) and that was 1 time. I know what I saw. I don't look to convince anyone else.
By the way I think a serious argument can be made that Spectacular Bid was better than Secretariat (at least over a career.) I will hold off making that proclamation b/c I simply haven't seen enough of the races on videotape. But Bid's career as I have looked at it is astounding. Fast everywhere he went. Few flops, Secretariat would throw in some stinkers.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Narragansett Park

Dance With Ravens might be the heir apparent to AP Indy. It will take several years to tell, but he is by A.P. Indy and out of a champion mare from a family that has already produced the top stallion Smart Strike. His first two dams are Champions and he was a Graded stakes winner on both turf and dirt in an injury shortened career. He is just 4 and has already serviced a full book. If he has success early his books will get much better and he'll still be very young.