Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Keeneland

This entire thing has played out like a South Park episode and really speaks to why I hate politics.

The left sucks and the right sucks.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
This entire thing has played out like a South Park episode and really speaks to why I hate politics.

The left sucks and the right sucks.

douche bag vs turd sandwich
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
The media has now reversed course. At first they were saying that the video showed no injuries to Zimmerman. Now they are admitting that there do appear to be injuries on the video:

http://gma.yahoo.com/george-zimmerma...opstories.html
I saw that color enhanced new video. I agree, at the one point it certainly appears that there is a circular head abrasion/wound with a big welt/swelling.

Unfortunately, I can't see it on other views in the same tape. So that means we're left with the special prosecutor and the FBI.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Meanwhile, the 911 tapes that "proved Zimmerman was a racist" according to Riot have been uncovered to be doctored by NBC to make him look as though he volunteered Martin's race as the reason he thought he was guilty of some sort of impropriety:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/02...rtin-shooting/

Way to go, Riot!!

Don't bother responding, thanks!
Nobody has to listen to the one doctored morning show tape (I've never heard it), the entire tape of the phone call is available in multiple locations everywhere else in the media, undoctored and clear as day, and has been for some time now.

I'm surprised you haven't heard them? Are you speaking of this issue without even having personal knowledge of what's out there in the media? Really?

A bunch of people here are having a very reasonable discussion about a very contentious issue in a good way, with no personal attacks, just very differing and heated opinions. But the talk is about the subject matter. It's fine.

Don't barge in here and try to insert personal snarks. You have issues with posters, keep them to yourself. Everyone else here is discussing the issue, no matter their varying opinions.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Glocks do not have "safeties", no guns really have safeties other than the holder. Carrying a weapon without a chambered round is as useless as not carrying a weapon at all.
"Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people". Sure.

Yeah. Carrying his Glock with the safety off and a round chambered was exactly what unstable citizen vigilantes shouldn't be doing. Maybe Zimmerman ought to be lecturing police departments how to really carry their weapons?

I think the gun was brought out by Zimmerman, but it accidentally discharged. I think he had it pointed at the kid, but he didn't mean to fire it.

We'll see.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
"Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people". Sure.

Yeah. Carrying his Glock with the safety off and a round chambered was exactly what unstable citizen vigilantes shouldn't be doing. Maybe Zimmerman ought to be lecturing police departments how to really carry their weapons?

I think the gun was brought out by Zimmerman, but it accidentally discharged. I think he had it pointed at the kid, but he didn't mean to fire it.

We'll see.
I am not kidding, Glocks do not have any safety at all, like some other pistols do have a mechanism that is meant to prevent accidental discharge but in no way is meant to make the weapon safe.
If they were indeed fighting, Zimmerman having the gun on him makes it life and death automatically. He doesn't know what happens if Trayvon gets the gun so he pulls it, potentially freaks out and shoots him. Has there been any report on the distance from which the shot was fired, I have not seen that anywhere?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I am not kidding, Glocks do not have any safety at all, like some other pistols do have a mechanism that is meant to prevent accidental discharge but in no way is meant to make the weapon safe.
If they were indeed fighting, Zimmerman having the gun on him makes it life and death automatically. He doesn't know what happens if Trayvon gets the gun so he pulls it, potentially freaks out and shoots him. Has there been any report on the distance from which the shot was fired, I have not seen that anywhere?
I haven't held a Glock since I was dating cops in the 1980's and they'd take you to a shooting range for a date but are you sure about that?

There is an official autopsy report, but that's the one thing that hasn't been leaked yet. All I have heard in the media was that he was shot in the chest, and fell forward on his arm. Yet other people, witnesses, were apparently around as Zimmerman got up off Trayvon, and saw Zimmerman put his hand up on his forehead as if, "what have I done!?" ... but alot of variance in what different alleged witnesses have said publicly about what went down.

Witnesses, unfortunately, are notoriously bad at objectively actually seeing what happened (for example, their true and accurate self-recollections will vary widely from a security videotape)
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I haven't held a Glock since I was dating cops in the 1980's and they'd take you to a shooting range for a date but are you sure about that?

There is an official autopsy report, but that's the one thing that hasn't been leaked yet. All I have heard in the media was that he was shot in the chest, and fell forward on his arm. Yet other people, witnesses, were apparently around as Zimmerman got up off Trayvon, and saw Zimmerman put his hand up on his forehead as if, "what have I done!?" ... but alot of variance in what different alleged witnesses have said publicly about what went down.

Witnesses, unfortunately, are notoriously bad at objectively actually seeing what happened (for example, their true and accurate self-recollections will vary widely from a security videotape)
Called a safe action trigger mech, only prevents firing from being dropped etc. finger on the trigger gun fires.
Curious on the distance of the shot though if he was able to fall forward and not get blood on Zimmerman I have to assume he was clear of him and not on top.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Called a safe action trigger mech, only prevents firing from being dropped etc. finger on the trigger gun fires.
Curious on the distance of the shot though if he was able to fall forward and not get blood on Zimmerman I have to assume he was clear of him and not on top.
Another reason the family was so incensed at the police department, what type of real forensics on what went down were done? They say little to none, only Zimmerman's story was listened to (and lead investigator didn't believe him and wanted him charged) and that's their original beef with the police department, why they went around the PD to the congresswoman and the feds in the first place.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Coach Pants

I'm hoping for a race riot now. It's obvious that the herd needs a good culling. I'll watch from the comfort of my bunker.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I'm hoping for a race riot now. It's obvious that the herd needs a good culling. I'll watch from the comfort of my bunker.
I think we're well on our way to that.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I think we're well on our way to that.

Amongst other things. IMO this is a perfect distraction. The global economy is in complete shambles. We hit another borrowing limit by September-October right when the election reaches it's climax.

It's a perfect storm. It was absolutely disgusting how Obama played top narcissist and crowbarred his opinion on this case.

And our only option to him is Romney? I want to leave the country but there are no safe and affordable alternatives.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
It's a perfect storm. It was absolutely disgusting how Obama played top narcissist and crowbarred his opinion on this case.
What nonsense. Obama was in a rose garden press conference and he was asked to comment directly by the press. His comment was respectful of the young dead boy, didn't slam Zimmerman, gave sympathy to the family for their loss, and acknowledges the reality that "walking while young male and black" is still a crime in some places.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
What nonsense. Obama was in a rose garden press conference and he was asked to comment directly by the press. His comment was respectful of the young dead boy, didn't slam Zimmerman, gave sympathy to the family for their loss, and acknowledges the reality that "walking while young male and black" is still a crime in some places.
Wow gives me comfort that our president convicts Zimmerman without a trial.

Damar Hamlin
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Flashback: "The Cambridge Police acted stupidly..."

This is not the first time the president convicted someone in advance of any formal proceedings.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
He didn't do that at all. Not even close. I don't know if he even mentioned Zimmerman. As I said, "didn't slam Zimmerman at all". You might listen to it.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
Flashback: "The Cambridge Police acted stupidly..."

This is not the first time the president convicted someone in advance of any formal proceedings.
He didn't do that. Why are you commenting on something you clearly didn't even listen to? Stop it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Keeneland

Hardly the nonsense some are pretending Obama said. Ridiculous.

President Obama: Trayvon Martin case a ‘tragedy’
By Lesley Clark
lclark@mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama spoke out Friday on the Trayvon Martin shooting for the first time, calling the incident a “tragedy” and invoking his own children.

“I can only imagine what these parents are going through,” the president said, adding that he couldn’t help but think about his daughters. “I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this.

“My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin,” he added. “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

The president said he was pleased to hear that Florida Gov. Rick Scott has appointed a task force to look into the incident.

“I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen,”

Noting that his attorney general is looking into the case, the president prefaced his remarks by saying it was important he was not “impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.”

Obama’s remarks came as he stood in the Rose Garden to introduce his new choice for the president of the World Bank.

They were his first remarks on the incident. The White House earlier in the week noted it was a “local” event.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
I saw that color enhanced new video. I agree, at the one point it certainly appears that there is a circular head abrasion/wound with a big welt/swelling.

Unfortunately, I can't see it on other views in the same tape. So that means we're left with the special prosecutor and the FBI.
I would think the testimony of the paramedics who treated Zimmerman at the scene would be important. I'm sure at some point we will hear what they have to say.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
The safety on my 9mm and .45 does not prevent the trigger from being pulled but rather disengages the hammer action. Neither will or can fire with safety on though you can pull the trigger on both.
i'll have to take a look, but i'm pretty sure my .45/.410 taurus judge has a safety that prevents trigger pull.