Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Maybe a little bit of her greatness just rubs off on everyone around her.
Not on her fans on the internet.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i've seen mentions about zenyatta helping the sport, bringing attention to it, etc. it's simply not true. everyone who knows me knows i'm a racing fan, and many folks are also sports fans. every year, there are questions about the derby winner, the ark derby winner. people ask about the dee tee horses. there was mention of rachel when she was running. not one person has ever asked me about zenyatta. that's how much she's in the mainstream, and how much attention she's garnering outside of racing and outside the west coast.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
St. Trinians is the only horse she's faced all year who isn't a complete joke - and anyone with any sense knows St. Trinians was the better horse that day.
I agree with your overall point, but I think the Baffert filly who ran second yesterday is actually pretty decent.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2 View Post
I agree with your overall point, but I think the Baffert filly who ran second yesterday is actually pretty decent.
Switch is a Sadler filly.

I'd like to see her run on dirt again - Devil May Care beat her by 9 lengths at Gulfstream in the Bonnie Miss.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i've seen mentions about zenyatta helping the sport, bringing attention to it, etc. it's simply not true. everyone who knows me knows i'm a racing fan, and many folks are also sports fans. every year, there are questions about the derby winner, the ark derby winner. people ask about the dee tee horses. there was mention of rachel when she was running. not one person has ever asked me about zenyatta. that's how much she's in the mainstream, and how much attention she's garnering outside of racing and outside the west coast.
Good Points but here's were I disagree I was sitting in a Pizza Restaurant at 7:15 EDT last night in Ocala Fl, it was full 60 or 70 people. We switched over to TVG to watch the Race a couple of tables Ask why did you do that. I went on to explain what was going on atleast 1/2 the people were listening to me and they had no Ideal who Zenyatta was. but as the race was unfolding everyone in the Place was cheering for Zenyatta it was actually kind of crazy. So atleast in Ocala Fl last night Zenyatta did help bring attention to the sport in a restaurant were 1/2 the Crowd had no ideal who she was.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen View Post
Good Points but here's were I disagree I was sitting in a Pizza Restaurant at 7:15 EDT last night in Ocala Fl, it was full 60 or 70 people. We switched over to TVG to watch the Race a couple of tables Ask why did you do that. I went on to explain what was going on atleast 1/2 the people were listening to me and they had no Ideal who Zenyatta was. but as the race was unfolding everyone in the Place was cheering for Zenyatta it was actually kind of crazy. So atleast in Ocala Fl last night Zenyatta did help bring attention to the sport in a restaurant were 1/2 the Crowd had no ideal who she was.
i'd say it was you, not zenyatta, who brought their attention to a race. but hey, if you made a couple new fans yesterday, good for you.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Switch is a Sadler filly.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

She might not be much on dirt, but her last three synthetic efforts have been pretty good.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
I make it a point to ask people who won the Kentucky Derby in the week after its run and 99% dont even know that the race was run. Our sport just isn't main stream anymore.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Not on her fans on the internet.
Now THAT was funny.

Gotta say I'm a big Z fan, seen her 3x and never fails to amaze & thrill me. There are no numbers or stats for that.
I think she will win the BC classic again. The question is...who will be second?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
I'm a big Z fan, seen her 3x and never fails to amaze & thrill me. There are no numbers or stats for that.
Okay, and if Andy Beyer writes a column claiming that you haven't seen her three times, or that she sometimes fails to amaze and thrill you....he would probably deserve harsh criticism.
However, pretty much everything he said in this piece happens to be true.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Gulfstream Park

If someone would've told me five or ten years ago that someday a 6-year-old mare will be the morning line favorite in the BCC … I would've called them a clueless moron.

This is just sick.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen View Post
you know she doesnt gather much attention when half the people in a thoroughbred town named Ocala dont know who she is.

With that said, I'm not sure if any of my friends here in Ocala know who she is.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
If someone would've told me five or ten years ago that someday a 6-year-old mare will be the morning line favorite in the BCC … I would've called them a clueless moron.

This is just sick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-A1ps_m7Jk
Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
the cheers move to tears on nov 6 ?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Oriental Park

Just wow....

Beyer today

Zenyatta now has to prove that she can win at the highest level of the sport.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Gulfstream Park

Going from synthetic to dirt (see Zardana, et al)

Had perfect prep race after being on shelf for two months

Fresh, fit, and moving from less than ideal distance (8.5f) to ideal distance (10f)

Trained by a guy who owns big score at CD.

You guys do realize that Z could be sitting on a big one here … right?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

This is just sick.
If someone 5 or 10 years ago told me that people would be rating a mare that is all out to beat creampuffs on a fake dirt track in CA in the same class as Seattle Slew and Citation, I would have held an intervention for them.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Fresh, fit, and moving from less than ideal distance (8.5f) to ideal distance (10f)

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

That "big one" is a career top of a 104 on dirt against a shaky field where the other horse in the race who wasn't much to begin with ran like crap anyway. Gonna take a whole lot better than a 104 to beat Blame, Quality Road, etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Just wow....

Beyer today

Zenyatta now has to prove that she can win at the highest level of the sport.
She hasn't exactly been facing the highest level of the sport lately. And this is a watered down version of the highest level.