Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revidere
You seem very angry. It's a shame.

BTW, the Breeder's Cup Dirt Mile hasn't been run on dirt or at a mile since its inception.
I don't know where you get angry from, just amazed that people for a second really feel that horses should be running on wax, plastic used carpet and what ever else they put in that crap, it just isnt natural. Horses have been racing and champions have been crowned on dirt since the inception of horse racing. To think that synthetics have any place in horse racing has to come from a person that really doesnt care about the history of horse racing or hasnt been in the game long enough to know or realize that natural dirt is the only surface that horses, who have been bred for thousands of years to do, should be racing on.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311
Your mindset is puzzling to me.

The only thing that I was unimpressed about this year is the way Zenyatta won her 4 prior starts. Talk about dissappointing. The feeling before each one of those races was is this the day Zen get beat by a bunch of horses that are no better then 40k claimers in NY.
I never said that Zenyatta's 4 wins before the BC were spectacular. But there were reasons why she didn't win by huge margins. First of all, she seems to pretty much just do what she needs to do. She runs to her competition. She pretty much just toys with them. And in the race she won by a nose, that was simply jockey error. Mike Smith rode her too confidently and gave her too much to do.

In addition, some of her races were actually much better than they appear. For example, take her win on May 23rd in the Milady. Watch that race. The race doesn’t look that good on paper and it doesn’t even look that good on video if you don't watch it carefully. But it was actually an incredible performance. Garret Gomez was on Life Is Sweet in the race. He knew that Zenyatta was the horse to beat so Gomez had Life Is Sweet off the rail going down the backstretch to try to force Zenyatta to go inside. It worked. Zenyatta went inside and then Gomez let Life Is Sweet go and Zenyatta was forced to check. So Zenyatta checks going into the far turn and after she checks, she is about 10 lengths back.

Anyway, by the time they hit the stretch, she basically had the lead. She didn’t quite have the lead because she went really wide but she was within a length or so of the lead. If she didn’t go so wide she would have had the lead at the top of the stretch. So she basically made up 10 lengths around the turn. It was unbelievable. Considering that she is a big, lumbering horse, I would have never thought that she could accelerate that quickly. It was amazing. Mike Smith totally mis-timed his move. When you make a premature, wide move like that and gun the horse around the turn, your horse will totally flatten out in the stretch. If the finish line was at the 1/8th pole, that wouldn’t be a bad move. But since the finish line is not at the 1/8th pole, it is a big mistake for a rider to time a wide move as if the finish-line is at the 1/8th pole. The horse will have nothing left for the final 1/8th of a mile. This is especially true if the move is a wide move. A premature move on the rail is not nearly as costly as a premature wide move.

Anyway, her winning margin would have been much bigger that day if she didn’t check going into the turn and then make that totally premature wide move. It was actually a pretty amazing performance on her part. By the way, you can’t really blame Mike Smith for making that move because he knew that Life Is Sweet was the horse to beat and he wanted to get the jump on her.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 11-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
To think that synthetics have any place in horse racing has to come from a person that really doesnt care about the history of horse racing or hasnt been in the game long enough to know or realize that natural dirt is the only surface that horses, who have been bred for thousands of years to do, should be racing on.
Or be from Europe
Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Sha Tin

And I dont think thoroughbred racing goes back "thousands of years" nor has it always been contested on dirt. You see over in Europe they run on this green stuff called grass....
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
natural dirt is the only surface that horses, who have been bred for thousands of years to do, should be racing on.
So now you are saying that we should do away with turf racing.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
To think that synthetics have any place in horse racing has to come from a person that really doesnt care about the history of horse racing or hasnt been in the game long enough to know or realize that natural dirt is the only surface that horses, who have been bred for thousands of years to do, should be racing on.
Says who? I never knew you were the sole definitive voice of horseracing.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
And I dont think thoroughbred racing goes back "thousands of years" nor has it always been contested on dirt. You see over in Europe they run on this green stuff called grass....
You're pretty smart there Chuck, what college did you go to?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
So now you are saying that we should do away with turf racing.
The discussion is about dirt racing, keep up.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You're pretty smart there Chuck, what college did you go to?
Its my Spa catholic education kicking in.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

be proud of your Arizona Wildcats
Old 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Flemington

Quote:

I think I scored 38 points against them in CYO.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
I dont know why she needs an excuse for the Preakness and the Woodward.. I mean not only did she WIN both races but she had by FAR and by Far I mean like 1000 times tougher trip than anyone in those races. The Preakness and the Woodward may have been her best 2 races when you look at the trip.. though I do feel the Haskell was her best race.
I agree with you that RA went much too fast early in both the Preakness and the Woodward. I said that in a previous post in this thread. She ran good in both of those races.

With regard to the Haskell, she ran great but it was in the slop, so it's kind of hard to compare that race to a race on a fast track.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
I don't know where you get angry from, just amazed that people for a second really feel that horses should be running on wax, plastic used carpet and what ever else they put in that crap, it just isnt natural. Horses have been racing and champions have been crowned on dirt since the inception of horse racing. To think that synthetics have any place in horse racing has to come from a person that really doesnt care about the history of horse racing or hasnt been in the game long enough to know or realize that natural dirt is the only surface that horses, who have been bred for thousands of years to do, should be racing on.
Your responses seem like personal attacks. You categorize people as "total jokes" for having a difference of opinion. OPINIONS. Which, by the way, has been what racing has thrived on for "thousands of years". The opinion that my horse is faster than your horse. My opinion is that Zenyatta is a better race horse than Rachel Alexandra. Unfortunately we will never know. You insinuate that people who are in Zenyatta's corner are pro-synthetics or don't care about racing? I've been involved with the game for over 30 years in one way or another so I'm very secure in what I know and understand about it. Frankly, I could care less who wins Horse of the Year. I saw both of them run and I consider myself lucky. It's a fun argument until someone like you comes along.

The history of football also had players in leather helmets.......
I'll leave it up to you to provide the snide comment.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
The Woodward is only 1 1/8 miles, not 1 1/4 miles. I think it would come down to the track just as much the distance. At Churchill in the Ky Oaks, it looked like Rachel could have gone another 1/8 of a mile with no problem.
I stand corrected... yea she sure does love CD surface, and a little help from mother nature sure wouldn't lower her chances!!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
I think I scored 38 points against them in CYO.
They arent what they once were but there is no way that happened.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
be proud of your Arizona Wildcats
I'll be proud if they can beat the Cal Commies this weekend.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
They arent what they once were but there is no way that happened.

I was a LEGEND. Led St. Anthonys to the Albany Diaosesis Championship...
I averaged 31 points 17 rebounds 7 blocks a game.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
I was a LEGEND. Led St. Anthonys to the Albany Diaosesis Championship...
I averaged 31 points 17 rebounds 7 blocks a game.
where did you play in college? Memphis?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Flemington

Quote:
where did you play in college? Memphis?
LOL...I did not play after Junior year at Schenectady High...I will point out, thats the home of Pat Riley.. and a few decent College hoops players.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revidere
The history of football also had players in leather helmets.......
I'll leave it up to you to provide the snide comment.
That was an utterly f.ucking retarded comparison.