Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Steve Byk

Default Baffert responds to criticism over Tweebster

STATEMENT FROM BOB BAFFERT REGARDING HIS HORSE, TWEEBSTER
December 31, 2012

We all know racing is a sport of extreme highs and lows, and there is nothing lower than the death of a horse. When the public's perception is that you are somehow responsible it makes the pain all the greater. Not only am I distressed over the death of this tough, gallant horse, I am deeply troubled by the comments on social media. They insinuate Tweebster's death was a result of my dropping him down for a $12,500 claiming tag, suggesting the horse was unsound and I was merely trying to get rid of him.

I respect and fully appreciate the sensitivity regarding the well being of animals, so I feel I owe it to everyone to explain the events that led to Tweebster's injury and subsequent death.

As is required, Tweebster was thoroughly examined by the state veterinarian yesterday morning and found to be perfectly sound going into the race. The decision to run him in this particular race was not based on a lack of soundness, but rather a lack of races available for him at higher claiming prices. Tweebster was healthy and happy. I felt he was in need of a confidence booster and thought this would be an easy spot for him to get it. I understand a severe drop in class can indicate a horse is unsound, but I assure you that was not the case with Tweebster. Just before the race, heavy rain and hail poured down, making the track more muddy and heavier. The horse was moving great and his jockey says he felt comfortable throughout the race. It wasn't until after the finish that Martin felt him take a bad step. We brought him back to the barn in hopes of saving him, but knew quickly that wasn't going to be the case.

I have run horses at lower levels in the past and seen them regain their old form by getting their confidence back. Sometimes I have had the horses claimed from me in the process and they have gone on to win stakes and allowance races for other owners and trainers. I realize that is part of the claiming game.

The death of any horse on the racetrack is hard to accept. When that horse is one who you saw and took care of everyday, the pain is physically gut wrenching . While I realize some people are going to think what they want, I want to express my feelings and deepest regret over the loss of a horse for whom I had a great deal of affection.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Les Bois

i guess the best thing was Tweebster was not claimed for the tag of $12,500
so Baffert keep him in his barn
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Keeneland

By no means am I a pretty horsey person and I'm not saying a cheap claimer is any less or more important than a stakes horse.

But, the drop from stakes to 12.5k claimers doesn't seem like a move made out of affection for the horse.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Santa Anita

Bob would make an excellent bridge salesman.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Oaklawn

The guy could sell snow to an Eskimo.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Les Bois

Default baffert

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/sp...uthanized.html
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM
helicopter11

only 2 public workouts since his last race on Oct 21st
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

The idea of dropping a horse sharply in class "to boost the confidence" is a whole lot of trainer speak.

Claiming these horses is like trying to catch a falling knife ... they normally continue to see a form decline unless some physical issue gets addressed. Occasionally, you'll see someone will catch the handle and be rewarded when the form comes back around. Normally though, you're going to end up getting at least some blade.

Tweebster had been on a steady decline down the class ladder since he was competitive in Graded Stakes races at around this time last year.

It was one supposed "confidence booster" after another if you fall for the trainer speak ... in reality, the horses form was steadily deteriorating and he was losing a step all the time.

Baffert, for the most part, puts horses where they belong on paper. Based on recent efforts, I think spotting Tweebster for $12,500 was very appropriate and consistent with how he places horses ... however, Tweebster is a two-turn horse and cutting him back to a sprint over the wet track might have been a little more demanding race for him than some of his recent slow paced routes.

He obvious had some issues, but he was sound enough to at least complete the race and the problem seemed to occur while he was pulling up.

Even though I don't agree with what Baffert said ... this breakdown would not have got any attention at all if the horse wasn't trained by Baffert.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Flemington

Horses break down daily. Its a shitty part of the game we all love. Does every trainer release a public apology? Baffert is the best trainer in the world, lets give him a break.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

he really crushed on breeders cup day 1 and 2
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
The idea of dropping a horse sharply in class "to boost the confidence" is a whole lot of trainer speak.

Claiming these horses is like trying to catch a falling knife ... they normally continue to see a form decline unless some physical issue gets addressed. Occasionally, you'll see someone will catch the handle and be rewarded when the form comes back around. Normally though, you're going to end up getting at least some blade.

Tweebster had been on a steady decline down the class ladder since he was competitive in Graded Stakes races at around this time last year.

It was one supposed "confidence booster" after another if you fall for the trainer speak ... in reality, the horses form was steadily deteriorating and he was losing a step all the time.

Baffert, for the most part, puts horses where they belong on paper. Based on recent efforts, I think spotting Tweebster for $12,500 was very appropriate and consistent with how he places horses ... however, Tweebster is a two-turn horse and cutting him back to a sprint over the wet track might have been a little more demanding race for him than some of his recent slow paced routes.

He obvious had some issues, but he was sound enough to at least complete the race and the problem seemed to occur while he was pulling up.

Even though I don't agree with what Baffert said ... this breakdown would not have got any attention at all if the horse wasn't trained by Baffert.
agree with all of it. had the horse been claimed, i doubt he'd have minded. an odd spot? perhaps. but hindsight is called that for a reason. we'd all go back and change decisions if we could.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Horses break down daily. Its a shitty part of the game we all love. Does every trainer release a public apology? Baffert is the best trainer in the world, lets give him a break.
I rest my case.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Belmont Park

The horse was completely mismanaged - I guess this was the owners doing, but he was always in over his head. He was a glorified 30-40k claimer that would occasionally hit the board in bad west coast graded races - but hadn't won a race in over 2 years.
What did seem odd was that his preferred surface, Hollywood Park, was completely ignored this fall (possibly due to issues) and brought back over an off SA track.

I completely agree that if it was any other trainer, there wouldn't have been a mention.

But to infer that this horse was "stakes caliber" dropping, while technically accurate, wasn't really at all the case.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
helicopter11

There was a similar horse that Baffert dropped to 12.5 claimer (after a long layoff and winning with a very high beyer speed figure in an ALW the race before) last year at Santa Anita that won and was claimed by Mark Glatt that won a couple of races for him. I believe the horse's name is Solar Rocket
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I see Joe Drape is still being Joe Drape...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Now that's funny!! Everything Baffert does is about Bob. it's almost never about the horse. What I can't understand is some owners want him as their trainer, the love of money before everything else can't be a good place to live.....