Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
What type of horse is he? I know he ran in the Juvy Turf,but is he a stalker?closer?

Any info is great
he is a stalker, nothing really stands out with his running style, but he is consistent and classy. Plus his breeding all suggests the classic distances is what he was born to do. Ran a nice race in Dubai, his first off the layoff and just got a bit tired in the end which was very justifiable. Look for O'brien to have this one at 100% if and when he runs in the derby, the horse he lost to Khawalah is a filly but a real exceptional one who could very well be one of the best horses at the end of the year male or female.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
he is a stalker, nothing really stands out with his running style, but he is consistent and classy. Plus his breeding all suggests the classic distances is what he was born to do. Ran a nice race in Dubai, his first off the layoff and just got a bit tired in the end which was very justifiable. Look for O'brien to have this one at 100% if and when he runs in the derby, the horse he lost to Khawalah is a filly but a real exceptional one who could very well be one of the best horses at the end of the year male or female.
Thanks-ya thought was stalker but just wanted to check. Seems like Santiva to me
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
What type of horse is he? I know he ran in the Juvy Turf,but is he a stalker?closer?

Any info is great
He appears to be a stalker, has tactical speed and distance won't be a problem based on his breeding...my biggest concern is the fact he's had only one three year old prep! Note: just saw Seattle's answer, I concur...could be a major player if he takes to CD surface.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Santa Anita

He'll come on a ton for his first run, but he is only decent - but as people have said, a decent year to shoot for it. The article also states that Jan Vermeer may be heading for the Woodford Reserve but I have heard rumours that they may send Cape Blanco instead..

#Grand
Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy View Post
He'll come on a ton for his first run, but he is only decent - but as people have said, a decent year to shoot for it. The article also states that Jan Vermeer may be heading for the Woodford Reserve but I have heard rumours that they may send Cape Blanco instead..
By all indicators, this is a very good year to take a shot...still wish he had at least two 3yo preps though....can't argue with his dosage numbers: 12-2-30-12-0, if he takes to the dirt it will be interesting!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
Yeah, I can certainly understand why they'd want to try with him this year. It's really the perfect time to take advantage of what's unfolded over the last month or so, then you have Frankel and the others across the pond that he'd have to deal with if he stayed there. It's not like Kingmambo hasn't gotten a dirt router before.

You have to admit, the name's got an air of regal Britishness to it. Red coats, ladies and gentlemen on fine mounts, it has all that going on. Uncle Mo and Archarcharch are the kind of names that might grow on you as cute, but regal is not the word I'd use. However, if the right racing career elevates the name to that of legend, generations from now someone will go 'it's a shame that horse doesn't have that classic Derby name, like Archarcharch.'
Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Yeah, I can certainly understand why they'd want to try with him this year. It's really the perfect time to take advantage of what's unfolded over the last month or so, then you have Frankel and the others across the pond that he'd have to deal with if he stayed there. It's not like Kingmambo hasn't gotten a dirt router before.

You have to admit, the name's got an air of regal Britishness to it. Red coats, ladies and gentlemen on fine mounts, it has all that going on. Uncle Mo and Archarcharch are the kind of names that might grow on you as cute, but regal is not the word I'd use. However, if the right racing career elevates the name to that of legend, generations from now someone will go 'it's a shame that horse doesn't have that classic Derby name, like Archarcharch.'
LOL...I agree, winning changes everything (or, as Cyndi sang, "money")
Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Does he fart once or twice before a winning start? Because that's just as useful as his dosage numbers. FYI.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Randwyck

Khawlah had a weight advantage in the race, FWIW.

I don't see it. They ship the horse to Dubai four days before the race, he runs 9.5 furlongs first off the plane, gets back on a few days later, back to Ireland. Now he's going to get on another one and come into the US for the Derby? One trip - over and back, maybe. Straight from Dubai to US, more understandable.

But two big trips in seven weeks...not interested, at all. I'll put $20 to win on him to soothe any wounds if he happens to freak, but it'll be a complete shock to me if he finishes in the top four....and that doesn't even consider pedigree, style, taking to the track, jockey, etc.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Does he fart once or twice before a winning start? Because that's just as useful as his dosage numbers. FYI.
FYI...that's your opinion which is as important to me as one of your farts!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
Khawlah had a weight advantage in the race, FWIW.

I don't see it. They ship the horse to Dubai four days before the race, he runs 9.5 furlongs first off the plane, gets back on a few days later, back to Ireland. Now he's going to get on another one and come into the US for the Derby? One trip - over and back, maybe. Straight from Dubai to US, more understandable.

But two big trips in seven weeks...not interested, at all. I'll put $20 to win on him to soothe any wounds if he happens to freak, but it'll be a complete shock to me if he finishes in the top four....and that doesn't even consider pedigree, style, taking to the track, jockey, etc.
I agree with your point regarding all the travel, we see how long it takes US based horses to usually recover from a trip to Dubai...I know their training methods are different but it's asking a lot from any horse, nevertheless...if he can duplicate his run in Dubai he could be a factor, he is at least familiar with CD backstretch having come over for last year's BCJT, I wonder if they worked him at all on the main track while he was here?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
The Curragh

just wonder if they had sent this one to Pletcher after his 2 yr old campaign.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
I agree with your point regarding all the travel, we see how long it takes US based horses to usually recover from a trip to Dubai...I know their training methods are different but it's asking a lot from any horse, nevertheless...if he can duplicate his run in Dubai he could be a factor, he is at least familiar with CD backstretch having come over for last year's BCJT, I wonder if they worked him at all on the main track while he was here?
Coolmore doesn't "work" their horses once they're here. In 2008 at SA they walked them around the track the wrong way two mornings in a row then Henrythenavigator and Duke of Marmalade did something that would best be categorized as jogging.

He has a very tall order ahead of him. That being said, he's facing quite possibly the worst Derby field since Dan Quayle was misspelling potato.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Ellis Park

has any travel detail been announced?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Coolmore doesn't "work" their horses once they're here. In 2008 at SA they walked them around the track the wrong way two mornings in a row then Henrythenavigator and Duke of Marmalade did something that would best be categorized as jogging.

He has a very tall order ahead of him. That being said, he's facing quite possibly the worst Derby field since Dan Quayle was misspelling potato(e).
Quayle's problem was that he trusted what the teacher wrote on the card.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Uncle Mo

Master of Hounds has as good a shot as anyone. The one thing about him is he should like the distance.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Jerome Park

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mo View Post
Master of Hounds has as good a shot as anyone. The one thing about him is he should like the distance.
Amazingly, all the "experts" on this board haven't attacked you for that with inane comments about your handicapping ability!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Randwyck

I could see Master of Hounds and Watch Me Go dueling for last place.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Churchill Downs

The distance in the pedigree isn't the worry, its the ability to run on dirt. Save me the Lemon Drop Kid isolated example from Kingmambo. LDK had Slew on the bottom while MOH has turf and more turf. I realize this guy has some inherent class, but the Coolmore turf sires haven't translated to American dirt in very many cases.

Add to that, one prep (albeit long) and questionable talent to begin with....no thanks. He'll be 20-1 when he should be twice that.