Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Scott Lake said on ATR Thursday that Pashito the Che would run in the Sprint if he can make the field. Lake owns an enviable BC Sprint record running 2nd at 49-1 with Thunderello in 2002 (Orientate) at Arlington and 3rd with Shake You Down in 2003 (Cajun Beat) at Santa Anita.
Maybe we will see 2 or 3 of the Sprinters try the Dirt Mile? Right now we got about 18 horses definite to 90%,which means 4 of them are out. The Dirt Mile still has 2 or 3 spots till it is full
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Flemington

I never could have imagined that people would be seriously breaking down a five furlong turf sprint race like a week before it's drawn.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Thats really not that fast at Toga. Its actually about average for those races.
Ya totally - so is a :43.46 half.

The fractions in the Troy were :22.11 and :44.71.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Del Mar

I actually think Grand Adventure is the best horse in the turf sprint now that the filly isn't going. . . Not sure how he'll like 5f though.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
When he battled through a :21.26 opening quarter and still almost won?
25k claimers went 21.37 in the first race that day and the horse that set the pace finished a clear second. You know how firm the turf was that weekend. His effort in the Troy was much more impressive.

I could agree with the argument that he was given a poor ride at Keeneland because his jockey decided to take away his most valuable weapon, which is speed.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Saratoga

I know it was said somewhere, but when are they releasing the Pre-Entries?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
I know it was said somewhere, but when are they releasing the Pre-Entries?
Gotta be in by the 25th. So prolly that night
Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
25k claimers went 21.37 in the first race that day and the horse that set the pace finished a clear second. You know how firm the turf was that weekend. His effort in the Troy was much more impressive.

I could agree with the argument that he was given a poor ride at Keeneland because his jockey decided to take away his most valuable weapon, which is speed.
He battled head-to-head with the Pletcher thing all the way around. Obviously the wise guy outlook would be to say that he was running on a crazy-fast speed-favoring course and therefore the performance wasn't as impressive. I'm not buying that - all you have to do is watch the race to realize it was a very big run with things against him.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
I'm not saying don't run them. I don't think anyone wants fields of 8 or 9 horses in these races. I'm just amazed that horses like these can even get into the gate at the "World Championships".
Everybody knows that "World Championships" is a lie. It's just a label that some publicity flak thought sounded good. Hey, if the US/Canada baseball championship is called the "World Series"...., The Dubai carnival is closer to a World Championship than anything, because it brings together horses from the Far East, Aus/NZ, South Africa, South America, Europe, and North America at a venue that is home to none of them. The BC is lucky if they get a few decent Euros and the odd Japanese horse now and again.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Gotta be in by the 25th. So prolly that night
Oh, I thought I read where Catalano pre-entered his fillies, but he must just be doing it early.

If they gotta be in by the 25th, then they won't release them till later in the week after they go through a bunch of paperwork and finalize everything.

Thank you for the info.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Flemington

Here's my early take for the Turf Sprint...

* Five furlongs is a lot different than 6.5 furlongs like the first two editions. Spell binding take right there, I know.

* Eliminate all the horses who simply aren't very good in relation to the field

* Eliminate all the horses who's best races have come beyond 6fs on turf or on another surface

* Throwout the two or three horses that bettors will inevitably gravitate to.

* That should whittle you down to about four or so horses for multi-wins.

I generally love to single in turf races (unless I happen to hate all the short priced horses) because the tendency of the crowd seems to be to spread in these races. Especially on BC day, where you have a regional mix of locals and multiple foreign shippers.

It's a lot simpler when the edition of the Turf Sprint is at 6.5 furlongs ... my strategy last year was to simply take just two horses .. the horse I deemed the best early speed horse .. and the horse who I deemed the best closer .. and basically hope the race would be run to an extreme .. and it was .. and Cal Flag wired them. That would be a stupid strategy at 5fs though.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
He battled head-to-head with the Pletcher thing all the way around. Obviously the wise guy outlook would be to say that he was running on a crazy-fast speed-favoring course and therefore the performance wasn't as impressive. I'm not buying that - all you have to do is watch the race to realize it was a very big run with things against him.
I think you're seriously overrating it but we can agree to disagree. The Troy was a better effort and made him a very good play in the closing day race.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Churchill Downs

Turf sprint at SA was incredibly unfair to shippers from other tracks. The hillside course is so different from anything they had ever seen, as well as having to cross the main track, another strange, new thing. Horses and riders with hill experience had such a big advantage that all you had to do was handicap among them to find the winner.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I wonder if Tom Proctor will look at running Banned in the Juv Turf. He won a N1X at Kee on Sunday very easily after breaking his maiden handily at Belmont.
I read that they will likely enter. Getting in is another story, but in a division where the winners of the stakes races have not been particularly impressive, I agree that he could be very dangerous.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
I generally love to single in turf races (unless I happen to hate all the short priced horses) because the tendency of the crowd seems to be to spread in these races. Especially on BC day, where you have a regional mix of locals and multiple foreign shippers.
I love this approach too Doug..

Additionally on the same theme, have utilized singles in the sprints in general with good results, especally recently (i.e. Midnight Lute, Ventura, Maryfield).
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Flemington

Hold Me Back wasn't nominated for the Gr 2 Fayette at KEE later this month.

Are they intending to run him in the dirt marathon - or is he being freshened for another spell binding campaign next year?

He's now officially my least favorite horse.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Steve Byk

THURSDAY WORKOUTS

Court Vision *Mile Aqueduct Six Furlongs 1.20:66
Cozy Kitten Juvenile Turf Keeneland Five Furlongs 1.04:20
Girolamo Sprint Belmont Park Four Furlongs 48:85
Here Comes Ben Dirt Mile Keeneland Six Furlongs 1.12:00
Jaycito *Juvenile Hollywood Park Six Furlongs 1.12:80
Major Gain Juvenile Keeneland Five Furlongs 1.03:60
Smiling Tiger *Sprint Hollywood Park Four Furlongs 46:40
Unzip Me Turf Sprint Hollywood Park Five Furlongs 1.05:80
Willcox Inn Juvenile/Juvenile Turf Keeneland Five Furlongs 1.03:60

On the Breeders' Cup worktab

Multiple Grade 1 hero SMILING TIGER (Hold That Tiger), winner of the Ancient Title S. (G1) last out, drilled a bullet four furlongs in :46 2/5 over Hollywood Park's Cushion Track on Thursday. The Jeff Bonde trainee is readying for the Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1).

DANCING IN SILKS (Black Minnaloushe), who will go for a title defense in the Breeders' Cup Sprint off a sixth in the Ancient Title, logged three-quarters in 1:13 1/5.

Norfolk S. (G1) winner and Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) contender JAYCITO (Victory Gallop) covered six furlongs in 1:12 4/5.

Dual Grade 1-placed RIVETING REASON (Fusaichi Pegasus), who could try the Juvenile without a win to his name, worked five-eighths in 1:00 2/5.

Multiple Grade 3 vixen UNZIP ME (City Zip), recent winner of the Senator Ken Maddy H. (G3), strolled through five furlongs in 1:05 4/5 in advance of the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (G2).

Multiple Grade 1 veteran COURT VISION (Gulch), winner of the Woodbine Mile (Can-G1) most recently, clocked three-quarters in 1:20 3/5 on the firm turf at Aqueduct. The dark bay five-year-old is gearing up for the Breeders' Cup Mile (G1) on November 6.

ARCH SUPPORT (Arch), second in the Miss Grillo S. (G3), readied for the November 5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G2) with a seven-furlong grass move in 1:35 3/5.

Vosburgh S. (G1) victor GIROLAMO (A.P. Indy), fifth in the Forego S. (G1) while making his seasonal bow two back, traveled four furlongs on Belmont Park's fast dirt training track in :48 4/5 for the Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1).

On the fast main dirt at Belmont, Grade 2 runner-up and Greenwood Cup S. fourth GABRIEL'S HILL (A.P. Indy) logged five-eighths in 1:02 in advance of the Breeders' Cup Marathon (G3) on November 5.

Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (G1) hopeful TIZWAY (Tiznow), a five-length victor of the Kelso H. (G2) and third in the Metropolitan H. (G1) in his last two, breezed five furlongs in 1:01 4/5 on Saratoga's fast Oklahoma dirt training track.

Grade 3 queen FIRST PASSAGE (Giant's Causeway), fifth in the Ballerina S. (G1) when last seen in August, covered a half-mile in :50 on Calder's fast dirt. Trainer Marty Wolfson is preparing the four-year-old lass for the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (G1).

Kentucky Oaks (G1) third TIDAL POOL (Yankee Gentleman), hoping for a berth in the Filly & Mare Sprint, worked a half-mile in :48 4/5 on a fast track at Churchill Downs. The D. Wayne Lukas trainee took to the track after the renovation break and posted fractions of :12 4/5 and :24 3/5 and galloped out five furlongs in 1:03 2/5. Tidal Pool has been unplaced in her past three, most recently finishing eighth in the first division of the grassy Riskaverse S. at Saratoga.

Last edited by Kasept : 10-22-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Fairgrounds

Probably have to take Where's The Remote out of any BC consideration after his dismal performance.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Steve Byk

BRISNET HANDICAPPER'S EDGE: O'Brien also revealed that last year's Dewhurst S. (Eng-G1) hero BEETHOVEN (Ire) (Oratorio [Ire]) will run in the Breeders' Cup Mile (G1) on November 6. The bay sophomore is exiting a sixth behind Gitano Hernando (GB) (Hernando [Fr]) in the October 1 Diamond S. (Ire-G3).

Royal Lodge S. (Eng-G2) third TREASURE BEACH (Galileo [Ire]) is being aimed at the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (G2), while BRIGHT HORIZON (Galileo [Ire]) will go for the Breeders' Cup Marathon (G3).

Silver Flash S. (Ire-G3) and Fillies Mile S. (Eng-G1) runner-up TOGETHER (Galileo [Ire]) is "under serious consideration" for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G2), according to O'Brien.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
BRISNET HANDICAPPER'S EDGE: O'Brien also revealed that last year's Dewhurst S. (Eng-G1) hero BEETHOVEN (Ire) (Oratorio [Ire]) will run in the Breeders' Cup Mile (G1) on November 6. The bay sophomore is exiting a sixth behind Gitano Hernando (GB) (Hernando [Fr]) in the October 1 Diamond S. (Ire-G3).

Royal Lodge S. (Eng-G2) third TREASURE BEACH (Galileo [Ire]) is being aimed at the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (G2), while BRIGHT HORIZON (Galileo [Ire]) will go for the Breeders' Cup Marathon (G3).

Silver Flash S. (Ire-G3) and Fillies Mile S. (Eng-G1) runner-up TOGETHER (Galileo [Ire]) is "under serious consideration" for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G2), according to O'Brien.
Come on Steve-this is OLD News. Check Post #87