Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
scat daddy

Steve,

Can we have an update as to the status of the contract signing and when and if the show will be back on. Appreciate it.
Scat OUT
Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Hialeah Park

For those cancelling - I'll take your Stiletto SL 100 Batteries

As much as I love Steve I can't give up

- BPM
- Dr. Radio
- FOX talk
- E-Street Radio
- Area 38
- Bubba the Love Sponge
- Down the Stretch
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Cahokia Downs

Wow...Looks like I will be listening to the replays alot and hopefully be able to catch a bit here and there at work. It seems like it could be a challenge, no live races, trainers may be difficult to connect with and some guests may not be available during that time slot.
It seems with all the channels available that play replays they should be able to move to one of those or just create a new station...
The only thing constant in life is change...good luck Steve.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian View Post
Wow...Looks like I will be listening to the replays alot and hopefully be able to catch a bit here and there at work. It seems like it could be a challenge, no live races, trainers may be difficult to connect with and some guests may not be available during that time slot.
It seems with all the channels available that play replays they should be able to move to one of those or just create a new station...
The only thing constant in life is change...good luck Steve.
Are Steve and ATR getting jerked around here? A lot of these posts have a real "R.I.P. ATR" feel to them. Is that what is officially going on? Or is this a good move for Steve and the show even though it isn't ideal for some of us? It seems to me like doing a show from 9 to noon might be easier on a man's life than getting off work at 7 p.m.

In any event, great show. I'll adjust eventually.

P.S. Sorry about my inappropriate "Coming to America" quote earlier. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat daddy View Post
Steve,

Can we have an update as to the status of the contract signing and when and if the show will be back on. Appreciate it.
Scat OUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Any new news on this?

I only ask because I just went out to move my truck and (of course) my XM was set to 243 from this morning when I was listening to race replays from yesterday. There was some kind of "fight" show on and I turned it off. I came in to check emails and decided to look on XM's channel lineup, and 243 says "More Programs Coming Soon!" Scrolling through the channels I came upon 226 which shows ATR at its regular 4-7 slot, and I got excited. Is it too much to hope that I'll be able to listen this afternoon/evening?

edit: Never mind. It looks like internet streaming and replays for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIIPointStables View Post
Any updates or set in stone plans for the show and time?
LATEST UPDATE (Friday 6/11):

Sirius is preparing the new contract and are looking to finalize things as quickly as possible. I'll guess it will take another week, so look for the 'new' show starting Monday, June 21 (Best guess)...

4-7pm Internet broadcasts with streaming and archives has been going on all week and will continue until the new airtime starts. The 9am-12n slot will be the broadcast time with previous day's replays running from 6a-9a...

Thanks to everybody for the overwhelming support. While 4-7p has become a ritual for me as well, I'm happy to do ATR 9a-12n and hope everyone will find a way to enjoy the show through modern technological methods. You can receive podcasts via Email, catch the Stream 24/7/365 or pick off specific hours on the Archive, and I'm working on a new web portal that will be designed to make ATR and DT even more enjoyable and easier to access.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Cahokia Downs

As more of a reader of posts as opposed to a poster I would like to add my thoughts. I feel the same way as alot of DT posters that the 4-7 time slot was a nice fit. I listen on the internet at home. I play N.y and Kentucky from home and while I listen to at the races I mute the T.V coverage from 4-5:30.I will get adjusted to the new time slot and would think alot of the conversation will be about handicapping the days racing cards. Good luck with the new time slot.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean smith View Post
Are Steve and ATR getting jerked around here? A lot of these posts have a real "R.I.P. ATR" feel to them. Is that what is officially going on? Or is this a good move for Steve and the show even though it isn't ideal for some of us? It seems to me like doing a show from 9 to noon might be easier on a man's life than getting off work at 7 p.m.

In any event, great show. I'll adjust eventually.

P.S. Sorry about my inappropriate "Coming to America" quote earlier. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
sirius has to know this will affect the number of live listeners. UNLESS, they think the addition of west coast listeners will off-set the loss.

i've listen to the show since just before steve started as a guest. this will be a BIG void for me 4-7pm. i have no way to listen 9-12.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Les Bois

this blows, you would think by now the horseplayer has been screwed every way imaginable, yet sirius has dug deeper to find a new low. Always got your back Steve and will listen to the archives but 9-12 just doesnt work for me. F u sirius
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
scat daddy

Going to miss the live feed from the Carolina this summer. Great info from 4-7 top trainers & jockey's stopping to chat, live race calls from the great Saratoga coming up the Northway from work...GONE?

Everyone that follows this show or website should take the time to send a quick email to Sirius voicing our displeasure with this decision. There is still "strength in numbers" if we all follow.

Scat OUT
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat daddy View Post
Going to miss the live feed from the Carolina this summer. Great info from 4-7 top trainers & jockey's stopping to chat, live race calls from the great Saratoga coming up the Northway from work...GONE?

Everyone that follows this show or website should take the time to send a quick email to Sirius voicing our displeasure with this decision. There is still "strength in numbers" if we all follow.

Scat OUT
Still discussing Saratoga plan with Sirius. May do 4-7p live on Net but replay it as the 9a-12n show the next day. Still lots of details to work out on several fronts... Again, appreciate the highly gratifying support from everybody.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Monmouth Park

Steve, your live show from toga is what got me to come back for the last 3 yrs.

I hope this works out for you. Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Hollywood Park

Default what a mistake

well steve
if these guys in front of me havent said it the way it is
i dont know how we can
i hope you take note of all the bad and not one good post here
with the time change
people always looked forward to you and your picks when it came to west coast racing
just a shame
Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Saratoga

Byk will be on HRTV in no time if they know what is good for them.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Louisiana Downs

Worst week of radio ever...Please get ATR back ASAP!!! My subscription just renewed.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Churchill Downs

Default Some thoughts...

Everyone needs to relax. As we go through life we have to make adjustments and changes. Someone said "nothing is forever"

Facts are that there is one sattelite radio company with one dedicated horse racing program.

Thats it. Except for some special occasional local radio programming, Steve is it. He is the king of all (horse racing) media. Sorry Howard.

Lets just say thanks to Steve for having a program and for all the effort he puts into it. It is a passion for him and I enjoy the show regardless of when i listen to it.

As far as the cancelling customers go, this board has the following:
Members: 1,489, Active Members: 924

If we all canceled would that help or hurt Steve's chances of keeping the program? Would sirius even care?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
Everyone needs to relax. As we go through life we have to make adjustments and changes. Someone said "nothing is forever"

Facts are that there is one sattelite radio company with one dedicated horse racing program.

Thats it. Except for some special occasional local radio programming, Steve is it. He is the king of all (horse racing) media. Sorry Howard.

Lets just say thanks to Steve for having a program and for all the effort he puts into it. It is a passion for him and I enjoy the show regardless of when i listen to it.

As far as the cancelling customers go, this board has the following:
Members: 1,489, Active Members: 924

If we all canceled would that help or hurt Steve's chances of keeping the program? Would sirius even care?

Given that Sirius has about 8 million subscribers, I can't imagine that the company would even notice.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchos1 View Post
Given that Sirius has about 8 million subscribers, I can't imagine that the company would even notice.
They should notice any subscriber paying the full amount. I'd say only a quarter of that number do pay the full monthly fee.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchos1 View Post
They should really care about every subscriber due to the fact that if Stern does not renew Sirius is history.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Les Bois

Nothing is over til we decide it is! was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No, and it aint over now! Cause when the going gets tough...........the tough get going! Whos with me? Lets gooooo . I dont care if Sirius notices or not that were all pissed and many are gonna cancel, but Im not gonna sit here with my thumb in my ass and not tell them their assholes. Mad Dog or Gottlieb for a 90 min drive. Christ Almighty
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrasi View Post
Nothing is over til we decide it is! was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No, and it aint over now! Cause when the going gets tough...........the tough get going! Whos with me? Lets gooooo . I dont care if Sirius notices or not that were all pissed and many are gonna cancel, but Im not gonna sit here with my thumb in my ass and not tell them their assholes. Mad Dog or Gottlieb for a 90 min drive. Christ Almighty
We got them back when we nuked Berlin.