Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Um, Marty, aside from the bizarro Raiders can you find me any team that plays better against good teams than they do against the bad ones? That is the way it works. The fact is, the Packers have done better against those bad teams than other defenses have. Against the Cowboys and Cardinals they completely shut down good offenses. They played well enough to win at Pittsburgh until the last play. The only team in the NFC that worries me in regards to the Packers are the Vikings who they clearly struggled with.

you seriously are not couting the cardinals game from last week are u?

that aside , my question to you is can this defense hold up for 3 weeks on the road (assuming philly is out)

to me i don't see it , they haven't done it well eneough agianst the best teams (except the dallas game)

i think rogers can win them a game maybe two , but , do you really think this defense will get them to a superbowl , i'm sorry i just don't see it , can they win a shootout yes of course (the lost to pitt on the last play of the game)

i just don't see that D doing it for 3 straight weeks on the road against winning teams - tell me why i am wrong aobut that ?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Everyone's defense is going to have to step up. I think you are just hung up with all the stats saying that they are the 2nd best defense in the league. Honestly, who cares about those numbers? There is only one thing that matters right now and it's getting to that game in Miami in a couple of weeks. And realistically with the offense that they have, the defense doesn't have to be perfect for them to win. All numbers and stats go out the window at this point. And with the exception of Cowboys right now, who is playing better football in the NFC? I don't see any reason that they can't make it to Miami.

reason - 3 weeks in a row on the road , going against warner , brees , favre /romo

do you really think this D will hold up against all 3 qb's and offenses in 3 straight weeks on the road, i'm sorry i just don't see it , winning on the road in the playoffs is difficult eneough , not having a shutdown D makes it even harder , all the pressure will be on rodgers for 3 weeks , i'm betting that he cracks in 1 of those weeks

they are a good team , with a top qb , i just don't get the reason for the packer lovefest, the "D" is avg at best and in my opinion will not hold up over 3 weeks on the road
Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
you seriously are not couting the cardinals game from last week are u?

that aside , my question to you is can this defense hold up for 3 weeks on the road (assuming philly is out)

to me i don't see it , they haven't done it well eneough agianst the best teams (except the dallas game)

i think rogers can win them a game maybe two , but , do you really think this defense will get them to a superbowl , i'm sorry i just don't see it , can they win a shootout yes of course (the lost to pitt on the last play of the game)

i just don't see that D doing it for 3 straight weeks on the road against winning teams - tell me why i am wrong aobut that ?
Yes, I do think they can make the Super Bowl. Their defense and their offense can both play solid games and they can win. They don't need one or the other to win them every game like you are making it out to be. The rest of the teams in the NFC look really bad right now, it isn't completely impossible they could wind up hosting the NFC championship, both New Orleans and Minnesota are not playing their best football right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Yes, I do think they can make the Super Bowl. Their defense and their offense can both play solid games and they can win. They don't need one or the other to win them every game like you are making it out to be. The rest of the teams in the NFC look really bad right now, it isn't completely impossible they could wind up hosting the NFC championship, both New Orleans and Minnesota are not playing their best football right now.
you need philly to win , while not impossible , highly unlikely

let's keep it simple

stranger things have happened before , but, unless they get the eagles at home in the nfc championship game , i just don't see it - i can't see them winning 3 games on the road all vs teams with winning records - can you see them winning 3 road games to get to the superbowl with this D? i just don't see it scott
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
az - did they look bad when the buried minnesoata 3 weeks ago? what did they have to play for at 4:00 when the #2 seed was gone and they were locked into playing the following week?

dallas - they looked bad in GB , but since then with a lone loss to SD by 3 pts surely they aren't palying bad are they? no way the packer D is better than wade phillips unit

minn and no - both beatable , az and dallas have beaten them , packers couldn't split with the vikings
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
reason - 3 weeks in a row on the road , going against warner , brees , favre /romo

do you really think this D will hold up against all 3 qb's and offenses in 3 straight weeks on the road, i'm sorry i just don't see it , winning on the road in the playoffs is difficult eneough , not having a shutdown D makes it even harder , all the pressure will be on rodgers for 3 weeks , i'm betting that he cracks in 1 of those weeks

they are a good team , with a top qb , i just don't get the reason for the packer lovefest, the "D" is avg at best and in my opinion will not hold up over 3 weeks on the road
Don't discount the fact that they could run the ball too. But I just don't understand the lovefest with the rest of the NFC, Like I said, besides Dallas (as painful as it for me to say that) who has been worldbeaters the last few weeks? They lost by a TD when they played in Minny in what was a close game stats wide.
Like I said, I think the NFC is wide open. A couple of years ago no one gave the Giants a shot (including myself, with exception in reguards to that Tampa game. I just thought the Bucs sucked {sorry Bigs & Rude}), but they went on the road and beat Romo and Favre in their respective homes and the way to winning the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned it's wide open and they have the talent to make it.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Don't discount the fact that they could run the ball too. But I just don't understand the lovefest with the rest of the NFC, Like I said, besides Dallas (as painful as it for me to say that) who has been worldbeaters the last few weeks? They lost by a TD when they played in Minny in what was a close game stats wide.
Like I said, I think the NFC is wide open. A couple of years ago no one gave the Giants a shot (including myself, with exception in reguards to that Tampa game. I just thought the Bucs sucked {sorry Bigs & Rude}), but they went on the road and beat Romo and Favre in their respective homes and the way to winning the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned it's wide open and they have the talent to make it.

fair point - i still just don't see this team winning 3 in a row on the road , the giants and steelers did it , but it is very rare for it to happen
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Oriental Park

fwiw

sos:

az = 32nd
gb = 31st

in my opinion if warner gets pass protection the cards find a way to win the game at home , gb will need to get to him , don't want it to be a close game packer fans and leave it in warners and the officals hands at the end , better blow them out early
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
you need philly to win , while not impossible , highly unlikely

let's keep it simple

stranger things have happened before , but, unless they get the eagles at home in the nfc championship game , i just don't see it - i can't see them winning 3 games on the road all vs teams with winning records - can you see them winning 3 road games to get to the superbowl with this D? i just don't see it scott
I think the Philly-Dallas game is a win-win for the Packers. With a Dallas win they get to play New Orleans instead of the team that has given them fits in Minnesota. With a Philly win they have to play Minnesota but at that point would have a very realistic chance of hosting the NFC Championship if they could get by the Vikings. If they have to play at both New Orleans and at Minnesota it will be really tough but I do see plenty of scenarios where that wouldn't happen and even the possibility of finishing up at home against the Eagles.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I think the Philly-Dallas game is a win-win for the Packers. With a Dallas win they get to play New Orleans instead of the team that has given them fits in Minnesota. With a Philly win they have to play Minnesota but at that point would have a very realistic chance of hosting the NFC Championship if they could get by the Vikings. If they have to play at both New Orleans and at Minnesota it will be really tough but I do see plenty of scenarios where that wouldn't happen and even the possibility of finishing up at home against the Eagles.

scott just stick to the question i asked , hoping for the eagles to win 2 games would be a bonus for rd 3 , but it's highly unlikely as they seem to have no answer to the dallas d

do you think this team can win 3 playoff road games , the most likely scenario , and get to the super bowl? I say no
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
scott just stick to the question i asked , hoping for the eagles to win 2 games would be a bonus for rd 3 , but it's highly unlikely as they seem to have no answer to the dallas d

do you think this team can win 3 playoff road games , the most likely scenario , and get to the super bowl? I say no

The packers offense I believe is more suited to play in warm weather or a dome than at lambeau in Jan. If the wind is blowing 20-30 mph and it is near zero it will be hard to throw the ball down field. Whoever gets hot in the playoffs will represent the NFC. It is really wide open...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Yes, but if they have to go to both Minnesota and New Orleans it will be very tough. Games at Arizona and at Dallas are nothing to be scared of.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Yes, but if they have to go to both Minnesota and New Orleans it will be very tough. Games at Arizona and at Dallas are nothing to be scared of.
ok we shall see

everyone keeps writing off the cardinals , that's fine , keep in mind that this will be rodgers 1st start in the playoffs and the building when sold out is not an easy place to win , i love how everyone has the packers going here , going there , we shall see on sunday where they go

in reality GB will have to do something that has never been done i believe - they will have to win 4 straight games away from home (last week's game + 3 in the playoffs)

if they get to the nfc game , that 4th week in a row on the road will be a tough tall order and will probably make them a good (assuming philly loses) bet against
Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Flemington

Marty, you are right so far. The Packers D looks like swiss cheese. Can't get to Warner, can't cover and can't tackle.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

would you care to take this statement back?

how bout some swiss cheese for lunch this week mr capers?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Football Outsiders adjusts their defensive stats to every team playing an average schedule and every team recovering the average number of fumbles. The Packers defense still come out #2:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
there are stats , stats and stas , and then lies
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
there are stats , stats and stas , and then lies
What a wild ride that was...Easy to find cause..

Starting DBs for GB mid season:

Woodson
Harris
Collins
Blackmon
Bigby
Lee

Left from that group yesterday:
Woodson
Collins

Eveyone else lost to injury during season or during game.

They will be fine...get healthy and add a few bodies next year. Great run from a team not many expected much from this year installing a new Defensive scheme
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
What a wild ride that was...Easy to find cause..

Starting DBs for GB mid season:

Woodson
Harris
Collins
Blackmon
Bigby
Lee

Left from that group yesterday:
Woodson
Collins

Eveyone else lost to injury during season or during game.

They will be fine...get healthy and add a few bodies next year. Great run from a team not many expected much from this year installing a new Defensive scheme

as i said to billy and you can ask , unless they (the front the dl) could get to warner they would be in big trouble , it didn't matter who was back there , the only way to beat the cardinals besides outscroring them is to hit warner early and oftern with your dl , the lack of pass rush from the dl is also a major hole come playoff time - you gotta get to the qb

correct me if i am wrong but no one mentioned these injuries until you did this am bob , everyone told me the packer d would be fine because they were playing well at the end of the season , my rebutall was the pittsburgh game exposed them and i was told it's just 1 game

i gave them credit for the big d game and for the balt game , but outside of those games the D really hadn't done much all year against quality opponents

as good as rodgers and the offense was , the D forced 1 , count it bob , 1 punt all day .....1 punt

each time the offense rallied the D had a chance - at 17-7 they let warner go right down the field for 24-7

after halftime , warner goes right down the field 31-10

after the onside kick recovery and ensuing td make it 31-24 , warner goes right back to work and makes it 38-24

next, the d get 1 stop and thus rodges is able to tie the game at 38

win the game now green bay d , not what happens .....warner chews right through the d to go back up 45-38

rodgers with one of the best performances ever by a qb win or lose ties the game agian

on the next drive , it's a total disaster , do anything you can to force ot , instead the D gets bailed out by a neil rackers miss at the buzzer

bob they have a long way to go
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Del Mar

Didnt hurt that Arizona got every call their way including the last face mask they let go.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
as i said to billy and you can ask , unless they (the front the dl) could get to warner they would be in big trouble , it didn't matter who was back there , the only way to beat the cardinals besides outscroring them is to hit warner early and oftern with your dl , the lack of pass rush from the dl is also a major hole come playoff time - you gotta get to the qb

correct me if i am wrong but no one mentioned these injuries until you did this am bob , everyone told me the packer d would be fine because they were playing well at the end of the season , my rebutall was the pittsburgh game exposed them and i was told it's just 1 game

i gave them credit for the big d game and for the balt game , but outside of those games the D really hadn't done much all year against quality opponents

as good as rodgers and the offense was , the D forced 1 , count it bob , 1 punt all day .....1 punt

each time the offense rallied the D had a chance - at 17-7 they let warner go right down the field for 24-7

after halftime , warner goes right down the field 31-10

after the onside kick recovery and ensuing td make it 31-24 , warner goes right back to work and makes it 38-24

next, the d get 1 stop and thus rodges is able to tie the game at 38

win the game now green bay d , not what happens .....warner chews right through the d to go back up 45-38

rodgers with one of the best performances ever by a qb win or lose ties the game agian

on the next drive , it's a total disaster , do anything you can to force ot , instead the D gets bailed out by a neil rackers miss at the buzzer

bob they have a long way to go

We'll agree to disagree...Excuses/reasons are a slippery slope, but if you can't see why their secondary was in disarray due to injuries, then there is nothing more to talk about. They couldn't rush/blitz Warner more because the back ups, and even Woodson at times, weren't tackling or covering anyone.

The Bears have a long way to go. The Packers made the playoffs and their lack of defensive depth was exposed. They have a short way to go