Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
I just sent him a PM. Hopefully he responds and I'll let you know what he says.

The chart does a good job of describing his performance... "make a good long run along the inside down the backside."

If they time that move better, he'll win some races.
he already has won some. i think he should go back to where he has the most success. obviously the good three year olds will try the derby, which is what they did with hold me back. but i think his future successes are on where he's had all his success-and that's not on dirt.

and you sent bill mott a pm??
Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastinvader
I guess between Peppers Pride and Mine that Bird, New Mexico racing might get a little more respect, eh?

Seriously, it is pretty cool that the often dissed here New Mexico's Peppers Pride leaves the all time unbeaten mark at 19 within five months of another New Mexico racing connection winning the Kentucky Derby....easily.

Like it or not, it happened.
I puked....a lot.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
The trainer just seems like a jerk and makes Pletcher look like Mr. Outgoing and Spontaneous.
Why? Because he got fed up with the same question over and over and over? He deserves a medal for punking that jackass.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Why? Because he got fed up with the same question over and over and over? He deserves a medal for punking that jackass.
They should have asked him about the MCL he won with this year. His only other win this year.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
POTN has now beaten the winner of the Illinois Derby, Arkansas Derby(beat him on syn n' dirt by a remarkably similar distance,) Blue Grass, Lands End, Louisiana Derby, U.A.E. Derby, Tampa Bay Derby, and he's beaten the horse who ran a decent 2nd in the Florida Derby. So, I don't think he deserves all that's been said about him (good by J White, nor bad by the cavalry.) Today's race was decent. It did appear one horse liked it more than the others. I mean he showed up. He didn't just do nothing (like the favorite etc.) Gomez made the right choice, too. He went with the more seasoned horse, and the other one tripped on his own . Matter of fact, all 3 of the horses behind the Derby winner probably deserve more credit than they get, because all three of them show up and give 100% each race. Baffert's had this horse for 5 races. He's won two Grade 1 races. He's won two Grade 2 races. Then he ran 2nd in the biggest 3 year old race in the World(when given a wet dirt track that who knows whether any of them particularly liked.) So, he's handled turf, dirt, and synthetics. If you run 2nd in the marquee Grade 1 race for 3year olds (on dirt,) then it seems childish for grown people to call you "Pioneer of Nothing."

I'll take a mediocre horse thats earned just shy of 3 million dollars and runs his eyeballs out everytime out, over all the supposedly faster horses who never seem to show up when facing him. It is complete lunacy to call this horse a mediocrity, what than is Dunkirk? I Want Revenge, Fresian Fire and everyone else finishing BEHIND him?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Santa Anita

I see that Haskin wrote this on Thursday...
Quote:
Although no one was paying attention, Mine That Bird, who likely will be either the longest or second-longest priced horse in the field, actually turned in a smooth, strong gallop this morning, which caught the eye. There is nothing striking about him physically; he’s just a smallish colt in a plain brown wrapper, but he does move well.
I'd probably almost take the credit for picking him to win it if I'd said something like that, will be interesting to see if he does.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
I'll take a mediocre horse thats earned just shy of 3 million dollars and runs his eyeballs out everytime out, over all the supposedly faster horses who never seem to show up when facing him. It is complete lunacy to call this horse a mediocrity, what than is Dunkirk? I Want Revenge, Fresian Fire and everyone else finishing BEHIND him?

?
again....you guys are taking this race, over that track, as a true accounting of these horses abilities.
good luck with that. you going to bet mine that bird in the preakness?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Hawthorne

I sure as he'll won't feel like an idiot or delusional to bet on POTN again , as I see it he's as good as any 3 year old colt in the country, FAR from a mediocrity, as for MTB , it's likely this performance is like Dust Commanders win , he has a lot more to prove than POTN, but on the day he ran the best race, that doesn't mean there are not a lot of nice colts in that field still maturing and physically developing and weren't ready to run the race of their life on this day and time, on a gooey thick track in crowd. There's several steady consistent colts in here and it's ludicrous to assume they've all reached their peak, Forego was an also ran in his Derby. I hate this glass half-empty mentality after every race, if we fans can't appreciate our horses, how can we get upset about the lack of outside interest?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
What makes it worse is that you can't even embrace the small time people making it big because, besides Borel, these people are dreadful.
"small time" people gives hope to us like Dee Tee that the little guys in the sport can win! I find this group MUCH more worthy that last year's in the slick black suits.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
"small time" people gives hope to us like Dee Tee that the little guys in the sport can win! I find this group MUCH more worthy that last year's in the slick black suits.
Sadly, I'm starting to see Sightseek's point- these owners are nothing like the DeeTee crew, who are not allegedly bribing legislators and don't have a quarter of a million to spend on horses.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/67394.html

Son of a b*tch. Well, at least I can still love Calvin.

(Darn you, Sightseek, and your excellent people instincts!)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Sadly, I'm starting to see Sightseek's point- these owners are nothing like the DeeTee crew, who are not allegedly bribing legislators and don't have a quarter of a million to spend on horses.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/67394.html

Son of a b*tch. Well, at least I can still love Calvin.

(Darn you, Sightseek, and your excellent people instincts!)
Interesting.....but, I think she was talking thier appearance and what he said in the winner's circle. I guess they do have something in common! But, Calvin's ride on SWLY at Saratoga was nowhere near as good as his Derby victories....if fact, I think he didn't really gave her a good chance that day.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
You are right. No one cared all week long about his horse. The only question was about that drive with the horse. He got fed up cause even after winning the derby by such a huge margin, that's what they were still asking about. I can't imagine how they must have felt! So much for Sheik Mo, Winstar, Zayat and co. Ya can't buy a Derby.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
not really. their best ever derby finish was sixth. today their best was eighth.
I know you were talking about Sheik Mo's Godolphin operation but Sheik Hamdan, his brother, was at the Derby in 06 and saw his horse, Jazil, pull a similiar move as yesterday up the rail to finish 4th. He has been a bit more successful but then he doesn't pull the horses away once they are doing well.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicappy
I know you were talking about Sheik Mo's Godolphin operation but Sheik Hamdan, his brother, was at the Derby in 06 and saw his horse, Jazil, pull a similiar move as yesterday up the rail to finish 4th. He has been a bit more successful but then he doesn't pull the horses away once they are doing well.

did jazil ship to dubai and back? i don't think he did.
hamdan seems the savvier of the two.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
The horse got a great trip (helped by a golden rail) and freaked in the mud!
I didn't think he belonged but he was 2 yr old Canadian champ and was bred very well for the slop. Let's not discredit the performance on this day.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
did jazil ship to dubai and back? i don't think he did.
hamdan seems the savvier of the two.
you are right. I think Sheik Mo is trying to make Dubai a stop on the derby trail for his country and gets influenced away from what's best for the horse. He does love his horses though as the book about Dubai Mellenium attests to.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
What makes it worse is that you can't even embrace the small time people making it big because, besides Borel, these people are dreadful.
I sure hope everyone doesn't buy into the media's need to trash these people just because they can. One guys father was doing the wheeling and dealing and is awaiting sentencing on bribery. But "small time" or not, it is a great story. Let's at least give them some time to enjoy this and give them a tip of the cap for a job very well done.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicappy
He does love his horses though as the book about Dubai Mellenium attests to.
Not quite sure what this a reference to, but Dubai Millennium died in the middle of his first breeding season.

As for people talking about sending horses to/from Dubai...no one seems think that getting there is a major hassle considering Well Armed, Curlin, Invasor, Pleasantly Perfect, Cigar, etc etc had no problems shipping THOUSANDS of miles and winning some big prizes.

People want to keep living their own myths about some Dubai "curse" or whatever...go on if you must, but it's not there.

Godolphin horses have tried seven times in the Derby over five different races and have no wins. The same could be said for...say...sending your horses to Todd Pletcher...
Old 05-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings
Not quite sure what this a reference to, but Dubai Millennium died in the middle of his first breeding season.

As for people talking about sending horses to/from Dubai...no one seems think that getting there is a major hassle considering Well Armed, Curlin, Invasor, Pleasantly Perfect, Cigar, etc etc had no problems shipping THOUSANDS of miles and winning some big prizes.

People want to keep living their own myths about some Dubai "curse" or whatever...go on if you must, but it's not there.

Godolphin horses have tried seven times in the Derby over five different races and have no wins. The same could be said for...say...sending your horses to Todd Pletcher...

he was talking about a book written about dubai millenium.

as for horses going to dubai and back, more often then not you see people talking about how long it takes them to return to form, and how it knocks them out for a few months sometimes. the sheik had a horse he shipped over here who ended up dying from what they call shipping fever. another horse shipped from here to there came back, came down with colic and died. it's harder on the horses then you seem to think. the thing most criticize the sheik about is not that he ships from dubai to here. but that he ships these horses back and forth several times before attempting the derby. it is draining. he's had some good horses-some of whom that many feel would make a greater impact if they didn't have to repeatedly go thru quarantine and shipping.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings

Godolophin has a problem and its Saeed Bin Surror. The guy cant manage/train horses. He is the Dubai's version of Todd Pletcher. He gets loads and loads of regally bred horses and may produce 1 or 2 good winners out of them.