Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Sha Tin

Default Ok Scuds, fire away...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3494315
Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Goodwood

How bad is your rotation when you call 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA (while playing for a team that is 11 games over .500) an "upgrade"?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
How bad is your rotation when you call 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA (while playing for a team that is 11 games over .500) an "upgrade"?
http://mvn.com/mlb-transactions/

I only post this to get Scuds going...

1-9 he brings up A. Jones at least one time during his rant
Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Goodwood

"Innings Eater" = Well below average.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Flemington

He is 5-12, but 5 of the losses are with him giving up 2 earned runs or less. Could easily be 10-7 or 9-8 etc. Interesting the way he has pitched well in the starts after pitching poorly.

gave up 6 earned runs--------------next start 2 earned runs.

gave up 8 earned runs--------------next start 1 earned run.

gave up 7 earned runs--------------next start 1 earned run.

Looks like southern chubbsta boy has a lil lazy streak in him. Always been a grinder. He will give them some decent starts(obviously atleast every other start.) An o.k. 4th or 5th starter ( 2nd or 3rd starter if Gomez or Bejarano riding him with much vigor.) Hasn't missed a start has he? Arm seems o.k. He said they've been trying to get these single A and double A players since last November? Really? LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
HE BEAT THEIR ASS a couple starts back. Like I said, he is decent (atleast in every other start.) He shut down the Phillies, Redsox, n' Chisox. Would appear to be a severe in n' outer right now(in more ways than one.....he could reduce his intake.)
Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Randwyck

Add fuel to Scuds fire.

I say Adrian Cardenas will be traded in 3 years time again, or A's become buyers and deal Jemile Weeks.

Hmm!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Randwyck

He can't be any worse than Eaton who has been a F ing disaster for the Phillies, Plus not many NL teams have faced him.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Blanton will be a nice addition to the staff. His low ball pitching style will fit here. Plus, his numbers were skewed. They gave him no run support in multiple games that he pitched well.

Besides, as Saucon stated, ANY arm is better than Eaton. I'd take JOhn Franco, hell, I'd take Fernando Valenzuela in their present state over Eaton.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucon17
He can't be any worse than Eaton who has been a F ing disaster for the Phillies, Plus not many NL teams have faced him.
From Baseball prospectus:

"Meh. Credit the Phillies for paying about the right price, and having a good sense of the virtues and limitations of the players they were giving up. It's the question of whether or not Joe Blanton's the sort of starter they should want that I wonder about. He's not an overpowering pitcher, so losing the Coliseum's foul ground is going to hurt, and going to a ballpark where both corners and the power alleys are ludicrously nearby could be especially devastating. As durable as Blanton is, what good is durability if it translates to a guy who's getting pasted every fifth night? He's had a bad year despite drawing more home assignments than you'd expect, 14 games in Oakland againt six road starts, and the results from those six have been ugly: a 5.73 ERA, six homers in 36 2/3 IP (half his season total), and a drop from 4.8 strikeouts per nine at home to 3.3 on the road. Skip Brett Myers or Jamie Moyer, this might be the Phillies' rotation “horse” who really has trouble denting bread with a gale-force back wind. Add in that Blanton gets pulled slightly more often than other pitchers, and how well do you think this is going to work out in Citizen's Bandbox?

While you might think this is a way to get the Phillies to some happier place where they get to pick between Myers and Adam Eaton for the fifth slot in the rotation, the problem is that Blanton only gives them variety and not improvement, still leaving them with three good starters and two slots they have to worry about, if now three bodies to move in and out of those slots. When you take into account that they also just dealt two of the best prospects in a poorly-stocked organization, and it isn't like they're going to be able to re-repair this, and that they're also going to have to decide what to do about Blanton's pair of pending arbitration-eligible seasons, it turns uglier still. I thought that expensive non-solutions that generate almost immediate regret were the province of the economy these days, so I guess we can credit the Phillies with being hip to the age."
Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
From Baseball prospectus:

"Meh. Credit the Phillies for paying about the right price, and having a good sense of the virtues and limitations of the players they were giving up. It's the question of whether or not Joe Blanton's the sort of starter they should want that I wonder about. He's not an overpowering pitcher, so losing the Coliseum's foul ground is going to hurt, and going to a ballpark where both corners and the power alleys are ludicrously nearby could be especially devastating. As durable as Blanton is, what good is durability if it translates to a guy who's getting pasted every fifth night? He's had a bad year despite drawing more home assignments than you'd expect, 14 games in Oakland againt six road starts, and the results from those six have been ugly: a 5.73 ERA, six homers in 36 2/3 IP (half his season total), and a drop from 4.8 strikeouts per nine at home to 3.3 on the road. Skip Brett Myers or Jamie Moyer, this might be the Phillies' rotation “horse” who really has trouble denting bread with a gale-force back wind. Add in that Blanton gets pulled slightly more often than other pitchers, and how well do you think this is going to work out in Citizen's Bandbox?

While you might think this is a way to get the Phillies to some happier place where they get to pick between Myers and Adam Eaton for the fifth slot in the rotation, the problem is that Blanton only gives them variety and not improvement, still leaving them with three good starters and two slots they have to worry about, if now three bodies to move in and out of those slots. When you take into account that they also just dealt two of the best prospects in a poorly-stocked organization, and it isn't like they're going to be able to re-repair this, and that they're also going to have to decide what to do about Blanton's pair of pending arbitration-eligible seasons, it turns uglier still. I thought that expensive non-solutions that generate almost immediate regret were the province of the economy these days, so I guess we can credit the Phillies with being hip to the age."
Being a lifelong fan of a team that has kids that aren't playing up to expectations, I can see (each night) just how much people overrate young talent that just can't hit enough at the major league level. He isn't having a great year, but he has shut down the REDSOX, CHISOX, and Phillies(probably is why they wanted him) this year. It's not nearly as bad of a trade as the other one, though. FCK young players that can't hit. Poo on them golfers n' fisherman.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 07-18-2008 at 08:49 PM.