Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
I'm just curious...there wasn't all that much hype about this horse until Steve put up his article(which I think was very well written)...now there is a 3 page thread about him and I was wondering if people are drawing ther own conclusions or hopping on a bandwagon.

Do you really feel the need to start with me?
I was thinking the same thing buddy, although I only have a couple horses I am tossing out of all wagers, and I cant seem to do it yet with Smooth Air.
I was thinking while watching the Florida Derby, that the 1-2 finishers there, would be the same 1-2 finishers in Kentucky.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
I'm just curious...there wasn't all that much hype about this horse until Steve put up his article(which I think was very well written)...now there is a 3 page thread about him and I was wondering if people are drawing ther own conclusions or hopping on a bandwagon.
In a parallel universe, he's been on my short list since february.

I'm sure that's true for others.....
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Oaklawn

Just read through the thread and I can understand why a some may like Smooth Air, but as a few have stated, he had every opportunity to win the Florida Derby and flattened out. He is consistently in the money, but I think he's in trouble at a 1 1/4. I think 40-1 would be an underlay. At best, this one will plod up to be part of the super.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
Just read through the thread and I can understand why a some may like Smooth Air, but as a few have stated, he had every opportunity to win the Florida Derby and flattened out. He is consistently in the money, but I think he's in trouble at a 1 1/4. I think 40-1 would be an underlay. At best, this one will plod up to be part of the super.
Whatever. Name me one horse on the Trail that would've beaten Big Brown that day.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Whatever. Name me one horse on the Trail that would've beaten Big Brown that day.

So, in other words, you feel finishing second is all that matters.....the fact that he got beaten by an amount that often results in a 7th place finish is irrelevent?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
So, in other words, you feel finishing second is all that matters.....the fact that he got beaten by an amount that often results in a 7th place finish is irrelevent?
What? Dude said that "he had every chance to win the Florida Derby and flattened out" as if every other Derby horse wouldn't have done the same thing that day.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
The Curragh

would have been nice to see Smooth Air atleast making up a little ground to Big Brown, not back peddling. I'm still unsure with Smooth Air, and if I use it will probably be the bottom part of my tri.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
What? Dude said that "he had every chance to win the Florida Derby and flattened out" as if every other Derby horse wouldn't have done the same thing that day.
you really think that every horse out there would have run the same race as smooth air? smooth air hasn't seen the winners circle since the hutcheson, and hasn't won past that seven furlong distance. i don't think that hitting second by a large margin to big brown, preceded by a third to fierce wind and big truck indicates what another horse would/could do. also, he was in the photo at 1 1/16, but over seven lengths back at the 9 f distance.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
If Big Brown runs his race no one is beating him. If he doesn't then it is a wide open race. So I'm not going to hold getting beat by him against anyone.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
If Big Brown runs his race no one is beating him. If he doesn't then it is a wide open race. So I'm not going to hold getting beat by him against anyone.
Exactly Sniper. Its not like Smooth Air couldnt get past a wobbly Gayego, or a hurt War Pass, both of who looked like they were drunken sailors. fumes. If Z Fortune was anything, he would have gotten by. Same too with Court Vision who had a rally going but flattened out like a blueberry pancake.
Big Brown embarrased everybody that day in Florida, including Smooth Air, who did what somebody always has to do, finish 2nd. It was a bunch of mediocre horses who for some reason or another, didnt even fire their typical mediocre efforts.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i love blueberry pancakes.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i love blueberry pancakes.
Me too, and I also love Court Vision as a racehorse. I think he may make a very nice show bet on Derby Day.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

welll, then just how special was big brown if he only knocked off a bunch of mediocrities? seriously? and if some of those other horses were wobbly or drunken, what do you call big browns stretch run that day? he was all over the place.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
welll, then just how special was big brown if he only knocked off a bunch of mediocrities? seriously? and if some of those other horses were wobbly or drunken, what do you call big browns stretch run that day? he was all over the place.
Green
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Me too, and I also love Court Vision as a racehorse. I think he may make a very nice show bet on Derby Day.
he's in my rttr, and i am seriously thinking of using him to get in the tri. not that that is as important as putting real money...
i haven't looked at the site yet, so i don't know how many i can use in that contest....plenty of time tho.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Green

that is too funny, as i originally had that one word after my last question.
so, what does mr green do in his fourth career race vs 17/19 other horses, with 125k screaming drunken fans?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I guess we dont know how special he is until next weekend. And yes, he is still a very green animal but he wasnt stopping quite like the other two I mentioned. He did something the other two didnt, run fast.
But like you, I will be betting somebody else on Saturday, for sure.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
that is too funny, as i originally had that one word after my last question.
so, what does mr green do in his fourth career race vs 17/19 other horses, with 125k screaming drunken fans?
My money will be on be very overwhelmed and run like crap. But I wouldn't be surprised if he freaked and won big.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
he's in my rttr, and i am seriously thinking of using him to get in the tri. not that that is as important as putting real money...
i haven't looked at the site yet, so i don't know how many i can use in that contest....plenty of time tho.
He has yet to run out of the money, correct? Sorry, I dont have a form in front of me. I think hes got a great shot for (at least) 3rd, I really do. The more I watch his replays and the more I look at the way this shape ups, the more I like.