Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Suffolk Downs

Default How bout those CUBBIES!!!!!

Woooooo Hoooooo

1ST PLACE
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Saratoga

Pretty crazy. Pinella is really amazing. I can't believe he is winning with some of these lineups. He puts Fontentot and Theriot in the lineup, proven winners but not the protypical major leaguers, and he has Marquis throwing strikes. It is a different lineup every day, and everyone seems to be buying into it.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Havre de Grace

Got to give Pinella and Henry alot of credit for staying on top of this team early.....definately new territory for the Cubs! Mera must be REALLY busy
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Hialeah Park

If only Cole Hamels could pitch every day, we would have swept ya's.
Gillick did more deals with his Hawaiin shirt provider than he did with other clubs before the deadline. Iguchi was a nice pick up, but when you see what the Braves got, you have to wonder if he already mailed it in for the season. (Losing a top 5 star in the league for at least a month didnt help). Utley and Victorino will return just in time to save the season. Mark my words 8/2/07. Phils in, Cubbies out, as far as the wildcard goes.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Woodbine

Enjoy it now! I think it is great to have a pennant race between the cubs and the brewers. I will give the Cubs credit they have played phenomenal in the last month; however their bullpen is very suspect. Should be a fun August and Sept.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
The Curragh

The race between the Cubs and the Brewers won't be much of a race come the end of August. I don't even like the cubs, but they are gonna have a 6 game lead on the Brewers by the end fo the month, and it will just keep getting bigger. Brewers will be solid in the years to come with Hardy, Fielder, and my man Braun tho.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Suffolk Downs

I think the Cards are the real threat to the Cubs. The Brewers will continue to fade, they have played over their head for to long, and they can not win on the road. Cubs Bullpen is getting Kerry Wood back in the next couple days should be a big help, if he stays healthy. That’s a big if. Otherwise the rest of the pen has done a 180 since the start of the year, heck Scott Eyre pitched two shut out innings last night. Sweet Lou is the man it’s amazing how he turned this team around.

GO CUBS!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan
The race between the Cubs and the Brewers won't be much of a race come the end of August. I don't even like the cubs, but they are gonna have a 6 game lead on the Brewers by the end fo the month, and it will just keep getting bigger. Brewers will be solid in the years to come with Hardy, Fielder, and my man Braun tho.
No one has been hotter than Ryan Braun since he came into the league. He is a machine. He has only played 60 games this year, 18 HR's and 51 RBI's. He should be Rookie of the Year. You are right in saying that the Brewers will be solid in years to come, but don't count them out just yet this year
Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Suffolk Downs

I wish the Brewers the best of luck to win the wildcard. Brewers have great young players, and a great stadium.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Brother
I think the Cards are the real threat to the Cubs. The Brewers will continue to fade, they have played over their head for to long, and they can not win on the road. Cubs Bullpen is getting Kerry Wood back in the next couple days should be a big help, if he stays healthy. That’s a big if. Otherwise the rest of the pen has done a 180 since the start of the year, heck Scott Eyre pitched two shut out innings last night. Sweet Lou is the man it’s amazing how he turned this team around.

GO CUBS!
This is what I love about Cubs fans. I am glad you are not worried about a team that held 1st place for 102 days and you are worried about an old, terrible Cardinals team with zero pitching that got smoked 15-1 by the Pirates last night. Now you are counting on Kerry Wood. Best of luck with that. Lou has turned some things around and the Cubs are finding ways to win. I agree with that, don't count out the Crew yet. You have had a share of first place for less than 24hrs.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Hialeah Park

My Phils are friggin snake bitten.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
The Curragh

All this Cubs and Brewers talk is about winning a pennant, not the World Series. If we want to talk about the World Series it is either Boston or Detroit. Once my Tigers get Zumaya back, and add a guy to the bullpen like Otsuka, they get the nod over the Red Sox. Best offensive in the game is hands down the Tigers! Best bullpen is hands down the Red Sox, but we can close the gap on that with Zumaya and one more piece.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan
All this Cubs and Brewers talk is about winning a pennant, not the World Series. If we want to talk about the World Series it is either Boston or Detroit. Once my Tigers get Zumaya back, and add a guy to the bullpen like Otsuka, they get the nod over the Red Sox. Best offensive in the game is hands down the Tigers! Best bullpen is hands down the Red Sox, but we can close the gap on that with Zumaya and one more piece.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
You may be right, but unlike a lot of Teams the Brew Crew doesn't have $100+ million to dish out on players so it has been a real long time since we have even been thinking about anything besides Packers Training camp after August 1st. It is nice to see a team like the Brewers develop over time thru the draft, unlike the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, etc. who just buy the best available. Don't get me wrong I would love if we would spend that kind of $, but that is not going to happen. Also, I have a soft spot for the Tigers, who helped ignite the Brewers after being no hit in Detroit the to go 24-10 after that.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Woodbine

supah,

I guess we will see that bullpen early today seeing that Marshall couldn't get thru 3 innings. Here comes Rocky Cherry....
Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
This is what I love about Cubs fans. I am glad you are not worried about a team that held 1st place for 102 days and you are worried about an old, terrible Cardinals team with zero pitching that got smoked 15-1 by the Pirates last night. Now you are counting on Kerry Wood. Best of luck with that. Lou has turned some things around and the Cubs are finding ways to win. I agree with that, don't count out the Crew yet. You have had a share of first place for less than 24hrs.
I think this might be my first argument EVER with a Brewers fan. I didn't know there were many of them.

All kidding aside, 1) I like the stadium alot there, great place to see a game IMO 2) It seems like you guys are finally selling some tickets to, which is a good thing 3) Good luck in the wild card Cubs win this division by 6 games and clinch on September 22nd against the Pirates and I will get to see it live (going this Saturday also )
Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Oaklawn

As a Sox fan who knows what it was like to wait a long time to win the World Series I'm hoping the Cubs and their fans can get their ring someday soon. As long as it's not against the Sox. I hated Pinella when he played for the Yankees, but he's one of the best managers in the game today. Good Luck Cubs!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Brother
I wish the Brewers the best of luck to win the wildcard. Brewers have great young players, and a great stadium.
They are starting to choke as I post. The Red Sox are going to win the pennent after trading for a strong closer. Angels pitching is done for the season, they only have 2 starters that are reliable, Lackey and Escobar. The Tigers are in the same boat , not enough pitching. I don't see anything in the National leauge to beat Boston now.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

amazing how the cubs have really turned it on.

not much of a baseball fan. thank god football starts again.....hall of fame game this sunday, oh yeah!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
They are starting to choke as I post. The Red Sox are going to win the pennent after trading for a strong closer. Angels pitching is done for the season, they only have 2 starters that are reliable, Lackey and Escobar. The Tigers are in the same boat , not enough pitching. I don't see anything in the National leauge to beat Boston now.
You only need two pitchers in the playoffs anyways, and one guy to keep them close in a game
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
You only need two pitchers in the playoffs anyways, and one guy to keep them close in a game
Let's Go Mets