Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Coach Pants

Default Wimbledon

Just watched Roddick choke hard. Was up two sets and a break in the third. Gasquet comes back and wins two tiebreakers to take it to the final set and wins 8-6.

Roddick was coming in with 18 consecutive winning tiebreaks. Guy is a headcase in big matches.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Oriental Park

Its been downhill since mandy moore left
Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Flemington

Federer up 2 sets to 1,but Nadal ahead 5-2 in 4th set.I can't believe Nadal has won more games than Federer (so far.)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Flemington

I wasn't even watching this today.I figured it a done deal that Roger would blow past this guy on this surface.Even if Roger wins it,this is a surprise(that Nadal could even compete with him on grass.)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Newmarket

amazing tennis with these two, Nadal and Federer.
now in the fifth set.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Flemington

That was great tennis.Nadal can't beat Federer on this surface.I am surprised he had a chance to.Twice Blew chances to break serve in the 5th set. Had him 15-40 2 different times.Federer finally found his game.I don't think Nadal will get that chance again.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Newmarket

nadal has pushed Federer farther each time.
After today there is no doubt that he can beat him on grass at some point.
I hope he doesn't because I like Federer better.
some of the rallies today were beyond belief how they kept painting the lines.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Coach Pants

What a great rivalry and looks like on that will last a few years.

Federer was incredible in the fifth.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Monmouth Park

That match was simply amazing. As much as I hate to say it, I think today was saw the beginning of the passing of the torch. This match helped Nadal a lot more than it helped Federer from a competition perspective. Federer has that extra gear that he seems to be able to switch on when he needs and almost becomes super human. That 8 out of 9 point stretch he put on late in the 5th was some of the best shotmaking that has ever been seen. What a treat....Was really nice to see Borg there. He looked good all things considered.

Big props to Roger and the white suit....in a world of spoiled superstars it's nice to see people like Roger and Tiger show the amount of class they do.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
...Was really nice to see Borg there. He looked good all things considered.
What does that mean?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
What does that mean?
Well,you know...hair loss...skin damaged by sun....
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
pgardn

Borg fell on some very hard times. Apparently tried to commit suicide ohhh about 15 years back? , money problems, girl problems... the works.

This was Nadal's big chance. This grass was playing like a hardcourt. Balls were bouncing very high (no low skidding which is a killer for 2 handed backhands) providing for long rallies, a perfect chance for Nadal. Federer had not been pushed and I dont think played particularly well all tournament. This Wimbledon might have had some of the longest rallies I have ever seen.

Having said all of this, I think Nadal is a killer competitor. I dont think he is as talented as Federer but the kid finds ways to win. He has clearly learned how to adapt. Lets hope he does not burn out because he is still very young. This kid is a very smart player for his age, hugely talented in the head category. He really had an ideal chance to do it this tourney with the way the grass was playing. Nadal is not as talented. Serve still needs to get better. His forehand adjusted very well this time around. I think Nadal is mentally tougher than Federer, especially after the French win. I thought Federer lost his will, he did not think he could win. Nadal always believes he can win.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Well,you know...hair loss...skin damaged by sun....
Oh ok. I thought maybe he had some disease or something
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Borg fell on some very hard times. Apparently tried to commit suicide ohhh about 15 years back? , money problems, girl problems... the works.

This was Nadal's big chance. This grass was playing like a hardcourt. Balls were bouncing very high (no low skidding which is a killer for 2 handed backhands) providing for long rallies, a perfect chance for Nadal. Federer had not been pushed and I dont think played particularly well all tournament. This Wimbledon might have had some of the longest rallies I have ever seen.

Having said all of this, I think Nadal is a killer competitor. I dont think he is as talented as Federer but the kid finds ways to win. He has clearly learned how to adapt. Lets hope he does not burn out because he is still very young. This kid is a very smart player for his age, hugely talented in the head category. He really had an ideal chance to do it this tourney with the way the grass was playing. Nadal is not as talented. Serve still needs to get better. His forehand adjusted very well this time around. I think Nadal is mentally tougher than Federer, especially after the French win. I thought Federer lost his will, he did not think he could win. Nadal always believes he can win.
Professor Pat,hows the summer going so far?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
Professor Pat,hows the summer going so far?
Besides getting slapped upside the head by Morton weilding a large fish... fine. How is it going at the MOuntain this year? Are you up?

NOW HERE THIS: RETAMA WILL BE RACING THOROUGHBREDS starting Sept.

And now to keep to task on the thread. Borg had the fastest lateral movement I have ever seen in Tennis. He would have made a great Swedish Short Stop.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Ok I will admit that I dont really know much about tennis except what I hear John McEnroe say but how can you say that #1 Nadal is not as talented as Federer and #2 Nadal is mentally tougher and always believes he can win when Federer almost always does?

Nadal looks to me to be as good as athlete as any tennis player I ever saw. The guy covers more court than anyone.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Thistley Downs

Oh my God.

Now it's tennis.

Paper,Rock,Scissors must be next.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Ok I will admit that I dont really know much about tennis except what I hear John McEnroe say but how can you say that #1 Nadal is not as talented as Federer and #2 Nadal is mentally tougher and always believes he can win when Federer almost always does?

Nadal looks to me to be as good as athlete as any tennis player I ever saw. The guy covers more court than anyone.
Strokes my good man.

Serve: Federer
Forehand: Federer
Volleying: Federer
Backhand: Federer

I really dont think there is any stroke that Nadal hits better than Federer, its as simple as that. But he knows how to win, and yes he is a very agile on the court. And his temprament is a joy. The kid thinks he can beat anyone.

And Borg is by far the best mover I have seen. Quickest feet of all time. I have never seen a man hit so many passing shots completely off the court... He was amazing.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortyfeatherhands
Oh my God.

Now it's tennis.
Paper,Rock,Scissors must be next.
Morton have you realized many people on this board like sports? There is a whole "department" devoted to it. I suggested a Mortimer section but Thebs did not go for it. I like sports Morton. A bunch.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Strokes my good man.

Serve: Federer
Forehand: Federer
Volleying: Federer
Backhand: Federer

I really dont think there is any stroke that Nadal hits better than Federer, its as simple as that. But he knows how to win, and yes he is a very agile on the court. And his temprament is a joy. The kid thinks he can beat anyone.

And Borg is by far the best mover I have seen. Quickest feet of all time. I have never seen a man hit so many passing shots completely off the court... He was amazing.
I'm not sure he isn't the best ever, Borg was great but this guy has it all. I was glad to see Venus win, the sisters still have game...American men are several steps behind.