Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Arlington Park

Default The Belmont: America's Best Sports Event

I've been to a couple Super Bowls, a few World Series games, a NCAA Final game and a bunch of NHL finals games. A half dozen Ky Derbys and two Breeders Cups.

I've also been to two Belmont Stakes and for sheer enjoyment and excitement, I think Belmont Day is the best day of sport I've seen. I was there when Seattle Slew won and also when Real Quiet lost.

The Derby is great and the Preakness confirms triple crown candidates but I'm always struck by the importance of the Belmont. Some years there is no
TC up for grabs but the race is always interesting, the rest of the card is always great and it's a wonderful way to spend a spring day in New York.

Rags To Riches win will be dissected for a long time and some will offer arguments to minimize her achievement. Don't be fooled. She outfinished a very good colt while sitting off a slow pace and getting the worst trip and won a race no filly has won in 100 years.

It wasn't a Triple Crown win but just as exciting.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I disagree.. I think the NCAA Tournament is first, closely followed by the Kentucky Derby, then whatever is third is way behind..

Having been to the Derby twice and the Belmont four times, I've gotta say the Derby towers over the Belmont. It has everything.

When a Triple Crown is on the line, the Belmont rocks. Otherwise, it's just a nice day.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud

Rags To Riches win will be dissected for a long time and some will offer arguments to minimize her achievement. Don't be fooled. She outfinished a very good colt while sitting off a slow pace and getting the worst trip and won a race no filly has won in 100 years.

I agree.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Hialeah Park

I also agree. I've been there for Real Quiet's (Victory Gallop), and Smarty's (Birdstone).
RagstoRiches...what more is there to say?
Won't this be remembered by everyone that loves this grand competition?
Gosh, I'm still "spillcuss".
Alabama? huh?
Love it!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I disagree.. I think the NCAA Tournament is first, closely followed by the Kentucky Derby, then whatever is third is way behind..

Having been to the Derby twice and the Belmont four times, I've gotta say the Derby towers over the Belmont. It has everything.

When a Triple Crown is on the line, the Belmont rocks. Otherwise, it's just a nice day.
Agree completely. But for sheer enjoyment, Preakness day is my personal favorite.

Been to the Belmont 15 times now, the Preakness 11 times, and the Derby only once... but the Oaks 4 times (the Derby is amazing, but when you actually want to bet, forget it. It's a phucking nightmare.)

I still haven't been to an NCAA Tournament game where MY school was playing (F YOU, selection committee ) but maybe I'd change my mind if that was the case.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I've been to a couple Super Bowls, a few World Series games, a NCAA Final game and a bunch of NHL finals games. A half dozen Ky Derbys and two Breeders Cups.
I've also been to two Belmont Stakes and for sheer enjoyment and excitement, I think Belmont Day is the best day of sport I've seen. I was there when Seattle Slew won and also when Real Quiet lost.
The Derby is great and the Preakness confirms triple crown candidates but I'm always struck by the importance of the Belmont. Some years there is no
TC up for grabs but the race is always interesting, the rest of the card is always great and it's a wonderful way to spend a spring day in New York.

It wasn't a Triple Crown win but just as exciting.
You are my hero man!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Oaklawn

I know I am going to get flack about this, but the Indy 500 is the best sporting even I have ever attended. A close 2nd is the College Baseball World Series and then the KY Derby. I have never been to the Preakness or Belmont but I would love to attend. After watching the Belmont, I was wishing I was in the grandstand.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Agree completely. But for sheer enjoyment, Preakness day is my personal favorite.

Been to the Belmont 15 times now, the Preakness 11 times, and the Derby only once... but the Oaks 4 times (the Derby is amazing, but when you actually want to bet, forget it. It's a phucking nightmare.)

I still haven't been to an NCAA Tournament game where MY school was playing (F YOU, selection committee ) but maybe I'd change my mind if that was the case.
Bruiser apparently isn't even going to bother sending his team on the road against high-majors this season. Which is just bitter if you ask me.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Bruiser apparently isn't even going to bother sending his team on the road against high-majors this season. Which is just bitter if you ask me.
Is that true? CAAZone is good for blog-type info like that, for your writings.

The team isn't going to be good enough anyways, so I don't care. But I understand his bitterness...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I'd love to read why Preakness Day is your favorite day for sheer enjoyment.

I've been there nine times -- including the last seven years -- so I am familiar with the atmosphere, race viewing, and track amenities.

Taking those factors into account, the Belmont Stakes Day is a few rungs higher for me.
I don't know why. Obviously Belmont Park is my home track, and I love it, but part of it is the fact that Baltimore REALLY embraces the Preakness. They consider it their big event, like Louisville and the Derby. There were more people at the f*ckin Yankee game watching some shitty 28-31 team than Belmont Park, and NYC (the "epicenter of racing" in this country) is 8 times the size of Baltimore. That's truly pathetic.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Baltimore embraces the Preakness because...well...what else is there to embrace down there?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Your first sentence is funny: I have posted here before that I do not know why I go back to the Preakness year after year, but I do, and I enjoy it a lot.

I'm partial to Belmont because it, too, is my home track -- I like it more than Saratoga, or anywhere else, to boot -- and I agree that it is pathetic that more people didn't make the trek. I left Belmont Park around 8:15 on Saturday night, after spending about 20 minutes soaking in the day with friends.

I love it when the stands shake at Belmont like it did during the stretch run.
It is funny, isn't it? Pimlico is a dump, but I love it for the Preakness weekend! I guess I'm into the whole "anything goes" attitude there as well. Other than the very unfortunate incident with Artax in '98 (which could happen anywhere, I guess), it hasn't caused a problem.

I like Saratoga better, but that's not a slight to Belmont Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Baltimore embraces the Preakness because...well...what else is there to embrace down there?
LOL. C'mon, Balti's a good town. The O's are... well... mediocre?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

God bless the people of B-more, they put on a good show at the Preakness, their crab cakes are the best on the planet, and the fellow who plays the call to the post is downright dynamite, but let's be honest here, Baltimore is the Detroit of the mid-Atlantic.