Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I'm not so sure it's a good day for racing. For today, it was. I didn't have the winner but am very happy with the results. To see all of the jinxes broken at once was great. The winner was the 2yo champ and BC Juv winner and ran only two preps. The second place horse hadn't raced in six weeks. The third place horse had only three career starts and none as a 2yo. This was great to me. And I agree with u that the three best horses were the top three. But.......

Was it good for the future of racing? I'm not so sure. We know how many trainers are copycats of what works one time. We saw Barbaro win with a five week layoff so this year we saw a couple of main contenders with long layoffs in Hard Spun and Circular Quay. Because of Street Sense's success, we'll see more horses going into the race off of only two preps. So I'm wondering if next season's prep races are really going to see the effects of the success of Street Sense, Hard Spun, and Curlin.
but i think those top three horses were handled correctly--but what works for one horse (hard spuns layoff) doesn't work for another--say, circular quay. just like the layoff worked for rags, but not her stablemate. going poly to dirt worked for street sense, but not dominican.

i'd rather have a trainer who maps out the right route for his horse, rather than saying hey, it worked for so and so, i'll try it too.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
but i think those top three horses were handled correctly--but what works for one horse (hard spuns layoff) doesn't work for another--say, circular quay. just like the layoff worked for rags, but not her stablemate. going poly to dirt worked for street sense, but not dominican.

i'd rather have a trainer who maps out the right route for his horse, rather than saying hey, it worked for so and so, i'll try it too.
I agree with u. But I've also seen how these guys do. They will see that it won the race and ran second and third and more will try it just for that reason. If Barbaro hadn't won the Derby last year, maybe some of the horses that used layoffs would have run one more time.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Morris Park

Street Sense was impossible to come up with. How did he ever select such an unlikely winner? Have not checked the mutuals but I believe Street Sense paid $100 to win. I think Beyer was the only public handicapper to have correctly picked him. Never doubt this guy again.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away
Street Sense was impossible to come up with. How did he ever select such an unlikely winner? Have not checked the mutuals but I believe Street Sense paid $100 to win. I think Beyer was the only public handicapper to have correctly picked him. Never doubt this guy again.
Not unfair at all....Plus Curlin didn't finish in the bottom 10 either.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away

So, in other words, it doesn't count if you pick a winner an other people like the same horse....or he's the favorite.

Good to know that in order to correctly pick a winner the horse must be 50-1 and also picked by nobody else. By the way, I don't remember your Derby selection.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Santa Anita

Sometimes there is no need to try and be clever. Just bet the best horse and cash. That is what Beyer did I assume.

I'm not sure what he can do to make some people happy.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Not unfair at all....Plus Curlin didn't finish in the bottom 10 either.
You still maintain the attitude and cockiness. I would have thought that you of all people would be more humble in the aftermath of this derby. There can hardly be anyone anywhere that was more wrong about the outcome.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
You still maintain the attitude and cockiness. I would have thought that you of all people would be more humble in the aftermath of this derby. There can hardly be anyone anywhere that was more wrong about the outcome.
What the hell is this? See the other post in Crow....What attitude? I was wrong on him. He won the race. He was the favorite. He won the race. I thought he wouldn't start. He won the race. I thought he'd never win a Grade 1 again. He won the race. I made the call in November. It is May. I was wrong....So I can't have an opinion on a race ever again. Of the horses I picked in the race they finished 2,3, and 5....This is why people don't stick there neck out on here. B/c when they admit they were wrong and move on its not good enough. You wonder why people simply lurk....What would you like me to do exactly? My question is, if Cowtown Cat had finished say 3rd in this race. Would all of you be pounding Andy? I doubt it. Instead you'd keep your kneepads on just a bit longer.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
My question is, if Cowtown Cat had finished say 3rd in this race. Would all of you be pounding Andy? I doubt it. Instead you'd keep your kneepads on just a bit longer.
I'm pretty sure he would have caught hell for it.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
My question is, if Cowtown Cat had finished say 3rd in this race. Would all of you be pounding Andy? I doubt it. Instead you'd keep your kneepads on just a bit longer.

So now it's about me?

Get a grip....Cowtown Cat finished 20th. I don't want, or expect, or need, anyone to compliment me about my opinions on this or any race, but you now sticking me in this discussion, especially in a shitty way, is REALLY lame.

I do take the heat when I'm wrong, and joke about it, and even make fun of myself publicly sometimes. One thing I wouldn't do, however, is talk about all the things I was mildly right about after I had humiliated myself as badly as you did with Street Sense.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
So now it's about me?

Get a grip....Cowtown Cat finished 20th. I don't want, or expect, or need, anyone to compliment me about my opinions on this or any race, but you now sticking me in this discussion, especially in a shitty way, is REALLY lame.

I do take the heat when I'm wrong, and joke about it, and even make fun of myself publicly sometimes. One thing I wouldn't do, however, is talk about all the things I was mildly right about after I had humiliated myself as badly as you did with Street Sense.
I wasn't bringing you into anything, gimme a break. I'm simply making a point that consistency doesn't exist around here....And now I was humiliated? LOL. I've never even rooted against the horse as I posted months ago. This is a gambling game Andy isn't it. You bet what you think. I posted what I thought at the time.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Oaklawn

I'll throw this in...I'm far more impressed by the fact that he tossed Cowtown Cat & publicly picked him to finish last than the fact that he picked the favorite to win the Derby. Cowtown Rat had some buzz by some wiseguys & I personally thought he had a chance to hit the board if things played out right.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I wasn't bringing you into anything, gimme a break. I'm simply making a point that consistency doesn't exist around here....And now I was humiliated? LOL. I've never even rooted against the horse as I posted months ago. This is a gambling game Andy isn't it. You bet what you think. I posted what I thought at the time.

Yes, you were humiliated. The fact that you don't see that is probably why in your " I am eating crow " post you started off by saying Street Sense wasn't even the best horse in the race and mostly talked about how you were right about Sedgefield.

To each his ( or her ) own.....but I think when someone is as wrong as you were, and as vociferous as you were, they should be a LOT more contrite. When I put the dunce cap on, and announced " I'm a dunce ", I didn't whine that Cowtown Cat rode a gold rail and crawling pace to victory. I simply said I was dunce and moved on.....I didn't add that I thought Dominican was the horse to use to make money in the Blue Grass. Everything else is irrelevent to the focal point.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Yes, you were humiliated. The fact that you don't see that is probably why in your " I am eating crow " post you started off by saying Street Sense wasn't even the best horse in the race and mostly talked about how you were right about Sedgefield.

To each his ( or her ) own.....but I think when someone is as wrong as you were, and as vociferous as you were, they should be a LOT more contrite. When I put the dunce cap on, and announced " I'm a dunce ", I didn't whine that Cowtown Cat rode a gold rail and crawling pace to victory. I simply said I was dunce and moved on.....I didn't add that I thought Dominican was the horse to use to make money in the Blue Grass. Everything else is irrelevent to the focal point.
Fair enough. My initial post about SS wasn't gracious enough I guess. Subsequent posts in the thread surely were...I will say though, that the horse that runs the fastest Juvy in history is probably going to run well again in his life....So I most likely was going to be wrong when I wrote it...And alas, I was.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
What the hell is this? See the other post in Crow....What attitude? I was wrong on him. He won the race. He was the favorite. He won the race. I thought he wouldn't start. He won the race. I thought he'd never win a Grade 1 again. He won the race. I made the call in November. It is May. I was wrong....So I can't have an opinion on a race ever again. Of the horses I picked in the race they finished 2,3, and 5....This is why people don't stick there neck out on here. B/c when they admit they were wrong and move on its not good enough. You wonder why people simply lurk....What would you like me to do exactly? My question is, if Cowtown Cat had finished say 3rd in this race. Would all of you be pounding Andy? I doubt it. Instead you'd keep your kneepads on just a bit longer.
you really are a an azz hole.........
Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
you really are a an azz hole.........
Please see the post for you in the other thread Matt. One nasty fellow you are. I don't curse at anyone on here.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Morris Park

By the way, I don't remember your Derby selection

I boxed cowtown cat & curlin. Boy was I wrong.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Please see the post for you in the other thread Matt. One nasty fellow you are. I don't curse at anyone on here.
well randall you have a habit of bringing andy in to "a we all kiss his ass" comment alot.. we are lucky to have him here he has more insight in his toe than your whole body.. so take it for what its worth..you constantly have that attitude ..its getting old.. i havent seen your show on you bet randall...whats it called...
Old 05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Keeneland

Boy am I bubbling with excitement to meet all of you guys in Toga...
Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i'm beginning to think brian wasn't the only one to have too many beers yesterday.....