Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
No apologies from me, I was just making up numbers and playing "hypothetical" trainer. I didn't identify you or anyone.
If the arrow hit a mark, I wasn't shooting at you.
See how it is when some people take offense?
See how some defend?
See how some justify?
Look, you and I disagree on this. That's about it.
Imus gets to eat his words.
I don't eat mine. If you took mine to be an apology of some sort, nope.
Racism is wrong. Sexism is wrong.
The president and his allies get to give their own answers, but that's for a different thread.
Since you brought it up, I do love my country, just not those that are currently running it.
W, it was pretty obvious who you were referring to when you posted the trainer stats... not exactly the best method of getting your point across.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
He is nothing more than a leech or oppurtunist.
Most all religious leaders are.There is $$ to be made off of peoples' fear,hope,and hate.Those are the 3 main reasons people are into religion.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Coach Pants

Censorship is for assholefaces that eat granola and are into cut and pasting some douchetard's opinion from an obscure liberal blog.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
This is interesting because Sharpton getting all mad at Imus made me think Imus might not be such a bad guy. I remember when that girl made up the story about being raped by the clan. Sharpton got all involved and it turned out to be a hoax and after Sharpton had criticized about everyone in the country he shut his mouth and never put up a retraction. Never apologized to the police and all the people he had punched in the press. He does thrive on hate.

Imus must still retract his hair statement with the mess he owns.
You bring up Tawana Brawley, but what about Amadou Diallo? She is the Guinean immigrant young woman who was shot to death by the NYPD 8-10 years ago. Her family was awarded $5 Million by a court which decided her death was wrongful and was due to police racial-profiling and brutality.

Sharpton is what he is. But I think what he does is important whether or not I might like him. Frankly, during the '04 Democratic debates, he was the only candidate to give straight answers to many questions.

What's great about America is we get to decide how badly he suffers in the end. Whether it's Mel Gibson or that Seinfeld guy dissing Jews or Blacks or Imus, in the end it all shakes out on its own.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I would hardly classify what he said as "hate speech". And if you stand by your words then why did you attempt to apologize? I have no problem with you but I think that people who turn bs like this into "racism" and "hate speech" are being petty and vindictive.
I'll say again, why can people call the president of the US names and say he is stupid and a criminal and it is ok but a shock jock says that a womans basketball team is nappy and thugish during a comedy bit and it is a criminal offense? Bill Maher and Bill O'Reilly both regularly say worse than this and no one pays attention.
I think it comes down to who has more power than whom. The Pres is more powerful than anyone criticizing him (except the Dark Lord of the Sith, Dick Cheney), thus attacking him doesn't carry much opportunity to offend on that visceral level. A white, heterosexual man criticizing African-American women is coming from a more powerful position, and so it's kind of like kicking the cripple, to borrow from Molly Ivins. Which is also likely why slurs coming from someone to whom the slur could also apply don't seem as offensive to society as a whole. I think it's a power (real or perceived) thing. Bababooyee and I already had this discussion and he came up with some most excellent new phrases as a result, which I have stolen.

And hey, the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed the Pres was from Texas and they got death threats from righies, so clearly it wasn't okay to those conservatives.

(Of course, Bush isn't from Texas; he's a Massachusetts blue blood, so I don't know why they were ashamed in the first place.)

I think Don Imus has a great face for radio.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Phil Mushnick of the NY Post writes about this this morning. He's been on the Imus case for years.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04092007...ick.htm?page=0
All he does is find EVERYTHING wrong about sports...a chronic bitcher
but never knocks his own paper for some of the "crap" they have in it.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
W, it was pretty obvious who you were referring to when you posted the trainer stats... not exactly the best method of getting your point across.
J,
Ya think so?
OK.
Point Given, Point Taken.
Point Across...good name for one.
I kinda like "Fire Storm".
Anywhere ya find it, and it seems like it's everywhere lately.
Unbridled Danger in the 7th on Thurs at Aq.
Carry on.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Coach Pants

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1b1_1176147032&p=1

Video of Imus on Al Sharpton's "Fire Whitey Show"

I find it ironic that Reverend Assholeface didn't call for his idol James Brown to be fired when he beat his wife not one, but three times. Hypocrite racist bastard. Pot meet kettle, Sharpton.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
Now i remember the guys name in Wappinger Falls NY.It was Steve Pagonas whose life was ruined by the false accusations.Where was Sharpton when Lattrell Sprewell choked P. J. Carlessimo(a white person) not once but came back for more.He is nothing more than a leech or oppurtunist.Martin Luther King would consider him an embarassement.
Funny how people have forgotten that...Sharpton brings NOTHING to the table and really hurts the cause he's trying to better.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1b1_1176147032&p=1

Video of Imus on Al Sharpton's "Fire Whitey Show"

I find it ironic that Reverend Assholeface didn't call for his idol James Brown to be fired when he beat his wife not one, but three times. Hypocrite racist bastard. Pot meet kettle, Sharpton.
Where exactly was James Brown going to be fired FROM? Wouldn't he have been an independent contractor?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
I think it comes down to who has more power than whom. The Pres is more powerful than anyone criticizing him (except the Dark Lord of the Sith, Dick Cheney), thus attacking him doesn't carry much opportunity to offend on that visceral level. A white, heterosexual man criticizing African-American women is coming from a more powerful position, and so it's kind of like kicking the cripple, to borrow from Molly Ivins. Which is also likely why slurs coming from someone to whom the slur could also apply don't seem as offensive to society as a whole. I think it's a power (real or perceived) thing. Bababooyee and I already had this discussion and he came up with some most excellent new phrases as a result, which I have stolen.

And hey, the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed the Pres was from Texas and they got death threats from righies, so clearly it wasn't okay to those conservatives.

(Of course, Bush isn't from Texas; he's a Massachusetts blue blood, so I don't know why they were ashamed in the first place.)

I think Don Imus has a great face for radio.
I guess what is the most annoying part of the whole process is how a story can be so affected by the media and it needs to fill the 24 hour news fix. This in itself is NOT an important story. Imus and his cronies never threatened or personally slurred anyone. They simply made a bad joke. The media grabbed the story and ran with it because sensationalistic race stories get good headlines. Sharpton and Jesse jumping in just makes it less of a real issue in most of America's view because they have virtually zero creditability in mainstream America. Jesse is a hypocrite who needs to make stories like this grow because he jumped the shark about 15 years ago when he refered to NY as "hymietown". Sharpton is as one way as one could be in regards to race relations as pointed out in other posts. Imus was guilty of nothing but poor taste which is not a crime. Making this out to be a crime against black people is a joke. Making this out to be singularly harmful to any member of the Rutgers team is laughable. Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock have said the same sort of things about "white" people and there are no reprecusions and well there should not be. Saying someone is "nappyheaded" or has tattoos or is thugish is in poor taste but these are hardly traumatic things.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Where exactly was James Brown going to be fired FROM? Wouldn't he have been an independent contractor?
Semantics. He was under contract with Polydor/Polygram.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I guess what is the most annoying part of the whole process is how a story can be so affected by the media and it needs to fill the 24 hour news fix. This in itself is NOT an important story. Imus and his cronies never threatened or personally slurred anyone. They simply made a bad joke. The media grabbed the story and ran with it because sensationalistic race stories get good headlines. Sharpton and Jesse jumping in just makes it less of a real issue in most of America's view because they have virtually zero creditability in mainstream America. Jesse is a hypocrite who needs to make stories like this grow because he jumped the shark about 15 years ago when he refered to NY as "hymietown". Sharpton is as one way as one could be in regards to race relations as pointed out in other posts. Imus was guilty of nothing but poor taste which is not a crime. Making this out to be a crime against black people is a joke. Making this out to be singularly harmful to any member of the Rutgers team is laughable. Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock have said the same sort of things about "white" people and there are no reprecusions and well there should not be. Saying someone is "nappyheaded" or has tattoos or is thugish is in poor taste but these are hardly traumatic things.
I agree it's news because it's entertaining to watch people scream that they've been traumatized (that tool of the Right, Bill Donohue, saying that Chocolate Jesus was one of the the most offensive attacks EVER to be made against Christianity was particularly amusing). But there's plenty of media opportunists on both left and right sides-- death threats were called into the hotel displaying Chocolate Jesus, for example, and I suspect those calls weren't made by lefties, or anyone who supports those "pigs Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi" to quote your words from earlier. So yes, I agree with you that this is a lot of yelling about a situation that probably doesn't warrant it, but you know, that happens with just about any group than can consider itself a group.

Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock have made very pointed observations about both blacks and whites, so I don't know that that comparison holds. I don't know if Imus has made any observation about whites that compares with what he has said about blacks. But I mean that when I say I don't know; if Imus has made some accurate and funny comments about his own race, please link to them.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababooyee
You've not used them as liberally as I had hoped!
Not with you, Sunshine of my DerbyTrail Days. But I have worked them into conversation with many of my friends. And I always give you credit where it's due. We'll change the English language; see if we don't!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
I certainly did not take offense nor did I call anyone a name unless you count "lefty" as namecalling but if you truly are a liberal it should not be considered offensive. I merely countered your potshot at me which was based upon personal innuendo rather than based upon any topical subject. By no means was I ofnded as a matter of fact I thought it was funny that you would resort to such tactics. I stand by my original post which basically says why are these things made into bigger issues than they should be? I'm far from worried that the Rutgers womans basketball team will be scarred or offended. We spend far too much time worrying about stupidity like this. Fact is that we as a society have grown far too politically correct and the particualrs of this case are further proof of this. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with those that are offended by Imus comments but those who believe in freedom of speech and other pillars of the constitution should stand up and say that people who say stupid things have rights too.
Sure they do. People who say stupid things have the right to duck when someone who they've insulted punches them in the mouth.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalip
Sure they do. People who say stupid things have the right to duck when someone who they've insulted punches them in the mouth.
Which would be a crime and newsworthy
Old 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
pgardn

I find it sickening that anyone would have to go before Al Sharpton for pennance on anything. This guy is scum pure and simple. He has ruined a number of peoples lives with false accusations and never apologized.

So maybe we got a racist doing his Hail Mary's in front of a racist. Perfectly silly.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I agree it's news because it's entertaining to watch people scream that they've been traumatized (that tool of the Right, Bill Donohue, saying that Chocolate Jesus was one of the the most offensive attacks EVER to be made against Christianity was particularly amusing). But there's plenty of media opportunists on both left and right sides-- death threats were called into the hotel displaying Chocolate Jesus, for example, and I suspect those calls weren't made by lefties, or anyone who supports those "pigs Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi" to quote your words from earlier. So yes, I agree with you that this is a lot of yelling about a situation that probably doesn't warrant it, but you know, that happens with just about any group than can consider itself a group.

Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock have made very pointed observations about both blacks and whites, so I don't know that that comparison holds. I don't know if Imus has made any observation about whites that compares with what he has said about blacks. But I mean that when I say I don't know; if Imus has made some accurate and funny comments about his own race, please link to them.
But he did not really SAY anything ABOUT blacks. He made fun of the Rutgers basketball team which does have white people on it. Imus makes fun of pretty much everyone. I would hardly say that Chappelle or Rock could be considered middle of the road.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Monmouth Park

This thread is now on page 7. If I've learned anything about online conversations, it is that you rarely change anyone's mind, regardless what the subject matter is, how long you discuss it, how eloquent you are, or are not.

People's notions, however perceived, are pretty much set. There is seldom any give to those long held notions.

Man, it expends a lot of energy. And all for nothing.

Yet still, people type, hit submit, gather and read. Maybe, at least, we all take something away to ponder.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
But he did not really SAY anything ABOUT blacks. He made fun of the Rutgers basketball team which does have white people on it. Imus makes fun of pretty much everyone. I would hardly say that Chappelle or Rock could be considered middle of the road.

Do you have a clue what nappy means?
Closed Thread