Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Oriental Park

Default Contest Thoughts for September 19

First and foremost, I'd like to send my very best wishes to Plenilune as she deals with some medical issues. We miss you, Plen, and hope that you will be back with our small but dedicated group of handicappers very soon.

Thinking about this coming Saturday, we do have some decisions to make. I am not aware if we have anyone who is able to jump in and assume the scoring chores for the points notice on short notice. As such, I don't think that having a points contest makes much sense until Plen is able to rejoin us. That leaves us with a couple of alternatives:

1. We could have an "ROI Only" contest, at a venue to be agreed upon. I think that Cal had mentioned that Woodbine seemed to offer the best racing this Saturday, but we certainly could select another one if that's what our group wants.

2. We could just take a break from our customary contests and resume at a later date.

Could each of you please express your preferences on this thread or list an alternative that I haven't considered. Hopefully we can get a sense of the group's preference.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Havre de Grace

I like doing a contest whether we do points or not. Points not necessary as far as I am concerned and my vote for venues would still be Woodbine even after I got skunked there in the Beat Byk finale.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM
The Curragh

At the least I'd continue the ROI. Who knows. Maybe Plenilune will post her picks. When the starting gate bell rings ya never know. The venue could be Woodbine or a short Louisiana Downs card.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Oriental Park

I realize that I didn't express my preference. I would like to continue with the ROI and see how things work out. As to which track, I'm amenable to any that the rest of you like. I can make a losing trifecta bet [or triactor if we go to Woodbine] just about anywhere.

Last edited by JolyB : 09-16-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM
The Curragh

Just a thought from Ye Ole Cat House

Why don’t we go ahead and do the points contest
and somebody could score it at a later date ,
or Plenilune does it later on
....but at least it would be in the record book

ROI DEFINITELY

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 09-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Havre de Grace

I was in the service of my country and the experience taught me to never volunteer for anything, but I could probably do the scoring, especially for this past week since there were only 5 of us that played in the points contest. I'll take a crack at it, if anyone wants me to or we could just go on without it. Don't have a clue what kind of medical issue Plen is dealing with, but she may not feel up to the task of scoring, if the issue is something serious.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
I was in the service of my country and the experience taught me to never volunteer for anything, but I could probably do the scoring, especially for this past week since there were only 5 of us that played in the points contest. I'll take a crack at it, if anyone wants me to or we could just go on without it. Don't have a clue what kind of medical issue Plen is dealing with, but she may not feel up to the task of scoring, if the issue is something serious.
Cal, it is very generous of you to offer to violate the fourth rule of military service [the other three as I recall were: if it moves, salute it; it it doesn't move, pick it up if it is too big to pick up, paint it], but my inclination is that we delay the scoring of last Saturday's points contest until Plen is feeling up to it or until she tells us otherwise. Along with that, I'd like to suggest that we just play an ROI contest this Saturday and see where we are after that.

As to the track, I'm open to most anywhere but agree with you that the card at Woodbine looks to be the most interesting. Entries were drawn today and are now available. Does anyone have strong objections to playing the ROI on the full card at Woodbine?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:18 PM
The Curragh

Default Question

If we do not know who the winner is from last time
Who has the decision of how many races to play

I personally choose to play the entire card
Woodbine or whatever track

Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Answer

See the last sentence in Joly's post just above yours. I think it says the full card is what he is suggesting at Woodbine.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:24 PM
The Curragh

Thank you Cal

No I did not see that but it makes me happy

Old 09-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Havre de Grace

No problem ma'am. English is my first and only language. Always glad to help interpret it.