Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Hollywood Park

Post Saratoga Recommends

Folks -

I'm planning a visit to Saratoga for Whitney weekend. It has been more than a decade since I've last made a wager in person at the Spa. I'm sure that Saratoga Springs has changed alot over that time period.

I was interested in any restaurant recommendations. A friend told me Longfellows and Brindisi's were excellent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.......
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Delaware Park

The Wishing Well, Sperry's, Sabina's and Shirley's (for breakfast)
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Turf Paradise

On the fine dining end, Sperry's and the Grey Gelding are my favorites though it looks as if the Grey Gelding may be closing, though may make it through the season. Brindisi's is quite good but Chianti and Maestro's are better. One Caroline is nice, but I found it's sister restaurant, Mouzon House to be a disappointment. I have not been to Prime (at Saratoga National Golf Course) yet, but have only heard good things and it is on the list for this year.

Of the other places mentioned I've never been to Longfellows, nor really heard of it, the Wishing Well is a favorite among the older track crowd and evidently Sam the Bugler goes there to who---errr play for tips, something I really don't want while eating. Sabina's is a pizza place. never gone as I found another place out 9 in a strip mall that I really like.

If you are into a fun dining experience, I like both Cantina and Mexican Connection (Mexican food obviously) and Karavalli, a very good Indian restaurant. Gaffney's can be fun and there are bands in the back at night. Can be a little loud though. If you just want a big menu that has family type fare, unexciting but solid, then Olde Bryan is the place.

If I could only choose one, Sperry's is outstanding, but it is fine dining so it will be pricey.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Keeneland

Augies in Ballston Spa is excellent both in price and quality. Be ready to take home lunch (at least) for the next day. Menu, directions and history on web.

http://augiesrestaurant.com/
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Randwyck

I'm not too much for eating in Saratoga Springs during the track season. Waits are long, prices are high, and more often than not the food comes out less than acceptable.

My favorite place for Italian food is Luisa's on Route 9 in South Glens Falls. I dislike Sergios - overrated. The Wishing Well is OK.

Winslow's on Route 9 heading up toward South Glens Falls is great standard fare. Nothing fancy - but really good food. They do not take credit cards or checks. Cash only.

Ballston Spa has some excellent eateries -

Sunset Cafe on Front Street for lunch - just a little hole in the wall, but great food. Their onion rings are scrumptious.

51 Front in Ballston Spa is a wine bar that serves dinner - a little pricey, but very good.

The Brickyard on Milton Ave. is also very good, as is The Factory Eatery on Prospect Street.

Augies is good (not as good as Luisa's) but your clothes can go out of style with the wait time.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Saratoga badly needs to add two types of restaurants to its arsenal before it gets my respect.

#1) An Olive Garden.

OG has firmly established itself as the nations premiere Italian Ristorante. It's where you take YOUR FUCl<ING FAMILY! The feeling you get when you're seated there is second to none. You feel like royalty. And when the salad finally comes out - it's like 'yeah, I've arrived, bitch!' And don't forget - always - ALWAYS get extra alfredo with your bread sticks.

#2) A Chinese Buffet.

I've had meals at three or four Chinese places at Saratoga over the years. All of them had middle of the road type quality as I recall. None were buffets.

What kind of message is a city trying to send when they don't allow its citizens a place or two where they can scurry in after a day of tough beats and ripping up tickets - a place where they can take all their worries and troubles away by feasting on 8lbs of cheap gook food in a single sitting?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Hollywood Park

Thank you all for the info....

Really looking forward to the trip. We'll be spending 2 1/2 days in Saratoga Springs, and then we're heading up to Elk Lake Lodge in the Adirondacks and finish the trip in Lake George.

Can't wait. Thanks again....
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Oaklawn

I've always enjoyed the atmosphere here....

http://www.oldebryaninn.com/
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Saratoga badly needs to add two types of restaurants to its arsenal before it gets my respect.

#1) An Olive Garden.

OG has firmly established itself as the nations premiere Italian Ristorante. It's where you take YOUR FUCl<ING FAMILY! The feeling you get when you're seated there is second to none. You feel like royalty. And when the salad finally comes out - it's like 'yeah, I've arrived, bitch!' And don't forget - always - ALWAYS get extra alfredo with your bread sticks.

#2) A Chinese Buffet.

I've had meals at three or four Chinese places at Saratoga over the years. All of them had middle of the road type quality as I recall. None were buffets.

What kind of message is a city trying to send when they don't allow its citizens a place or two where they can scurry in after a day of tough beats and ripping up tickets - a place where they can take all their worries and troubles away by feasting on 8lbs of cheap gook food in a single sitting?
You had one good meal that entire summer.....when I allowed you to join us at the Beekman Street Bistro.....and I picked up the tab.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM
helicopter11

Quote:

#1) An Olive Garden.

#2) A Chinese Buffet.

I am not sure if your post was meant to be sarcastic but those two are exactly what saratoga DOESNT need. I have never been to Saratoga but I will gaurantee you I will not go to look forward in eating at an Olive Garden or a crappy Chinese Buffet. There is no such thing as a quality Chinese Buffet (oxymoron) and Olive Garden is probaly no where near an authentic Italian restaurant. Alfredo is basicaly Mac and Cheese for adults. Would you go to Japan and eat at KFC??
Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
You had one good meal that entire summer.....when I allowed you to join us at the Beekman Street Bistro.....and I picked up the tab.
And leave it to you to take me along to a place where I didn't understand a single thing on the entire menu.

You should have allowed me to bring your laptop along with us - so I could have spent a half an hour Googling each and every entree before deciding.

If I recall - when it came time to order, I simply told the server "ask the chef what he likes to make and thinks is real good - and I'll have that"

Since I knew the odds of you picking up the tab were 1-to-20 and a generous overlay at that ... I should have just rolled the dice with whatever was most expensive on the menu.

Probably would have ended up being a bowl of Lentil, bacon, and pasta soup. Of course, made only with exotic Lentils from Bolivia, Tuscan pasta, and some extremely rare type of bacon that only Beekman Street and Gordon Ramsey have regular access to.

My mom also took me to like 2.5 different fancy and touted places the two days she was there. One of them - some crazy expensive place - had these bomb ass Shrimp Tempura as an appetizer.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

#1) An Olive Garden.

#2) A Chinese Buffet.
Nearest OG is in Colonie or Queensbury. There are numerous Chinese buffet places on RT 9 on the way up to Lake George. Lots of franchise type restaurants on that route. That would be your closest.

As to grocery shopping, I wish they would put up a Trader Joe's somewhere in the TOGA environs. If anyone is looking for quality beef and poultry and a lot of other quality foods, I can recommend THE MEAT HOUSE on Rt. 50 in Wilton.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Saratoga

Hattie's every day
Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Hattie's every day
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Hollywood Park

McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts . No surprises and they have take out . Actually, now I recall almost being attacked by an agitated German Shephard in an SUV that was pulling out of the drive up at McDonald's. If the rear window was down any further he would have had me for breakfast. I was standing on the sidewalk waiting for the SUV to pull out before that surprise. And the lady behind the wheel puffing on a smoke got mad when I asked her to roll up the windows.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Hattie's every day
This.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Del Mar

Scallions and Max London's are both good. . . Uncommon Grounds for breakfast.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Hattie's every day
tastes better the next day. which is saying alot, cause it is awesome the first day.

Olive Garden ? what's that like pasta with some campbells tomato soup on it ? get real man.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Scallions and Max London's are both good. . . Uncommon Grounds for breakfast.
Max London's is solid.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Idlewild Airport

There is and or used to be a Chinese buffet just outside of town somewhere, not sure where.