Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 PM
The Curragh

So....is Commentator done? Another subpar performance...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Flemington

That was just a terrible field in the Whitney.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Havre de Grace

If that wasn't a perfect indictment of the absolute travesty that is the handicap division then I don't know what is.

NT
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
So....is Commentator done? Another subpar performance...
How subpar was it really? Sure he's not nearly the horse he was the last couple years but he set a solid contested pace again today and was the only one of those 3 around in the lane to duke it out with the closers. It's not as though he can't compete within this year's BAD handicap division evidenced by Bullsbay just winning a G1. Regardless this was the horse's main goal so he's probably done anyway.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Oaklawn

how much the best was Macho Again? Tough ride. I like Bullsbay so i don't really mind, but MA was best.

Macho has as much natural talent and stamina as a lot of these, he just hasn't had the super-trainer effect.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
how much the best was Macho Again? Tough ride. I like Bullsbay so i don't really mind, but MA was best.

Macho has as much natural talent and stamina as a lot of these, he just hasn't had the super-trainer effect.
Totally disagree. Much the best? If anything Rose moved early on Bullsbay.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

What's fallen off worse, the older male division in racing or the heavyweight division in boxing?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
What's fallen off worse, the older male division in racing or the heavyweight division in boxing?
LOL, cmon its boxing obviously. Its completely dead Joe.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

For a one-run plodder who needs a perfect setup to be even remotely successful, I thought he got his setup and ran his race.

I have no idea what's making you think he was much the best.

NT
Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Totally disagree. Much the best? If anything Rose moved early on Bullsbay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
For a one-run plodder who needs a perfect setup to be even remotely successful, I thought he got his setup and ran his race.

NT
Many ways to see a race, but it looked like Albarado misjudged the pace badly

wish i had bet the race, but i didn't.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Flemington

Quote:

NT
Agree.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Oaklawn

^ and by misjudging the pace, I am not limiting it to the timing of the move, but more importantly here the initial positioning of the horse. Albarado started him terribly deep at 13.5 lengths. Not only was rose about 2 lengths better positioned (eyeing it says the optimum position may have been about 8.5 lengths back), Bullsbay also saved all the ground while Macho went 4 wide and slightly brushed.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

NT
I think what Bobby meant to say was he was third best.why does Wolfson even try to win races in NY?? Steve please let him know there is a D barn in these parts.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
I think what Bobby meant to say was he was third best.why does Wolfson even try to win races in NY?? Steve please let him know there is a D barn in these parts.
I don't know Freddy, don't you think she ran pretty well given the break and the trip to Union Avenue on the turn?

By the way, raise your hand if you thought the final time was as sharp as it was in the Test?

NT
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

What do the Hollywood Gold Cup, Met Mile, Donn, Foster, and Whitney have in common? They are probably five of the six biggest races we've had in this country for older male routers this year so far. All were won by a horse winning their first and only grade one race. I said five of the six. The sixth would be the Santa Anita Hcp. That race was won by Einstein, who was just seen running in the Arlington Million because he's a grass horse. This is as bad as I've ever seen this division.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
What do the Hollywood Gold Cup, Met Mile, Donn, Foster, and Whitney have in common? They are probably five of the six biggest races we've had in this country for older male routers this year so far. All were won by a horse winning their first and only grade one race. I said five of the six. The sixth would be the Santa Anita Hcp. That race was won by Einstein, who was just seen running in the Arlington Million because he's a grass horse. This is as bad as I've ever seen this division.
I'd love to know what the average win mutuel in graded stakes for older males has been this year. I'm sure it's very high. The pretty pony people will probably disagree, but I'll take full fields and bettable races over four-horse public workouts any day.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
The winners of the HGC and the Met are pretty good. I would guess Bribon and Rail Trip both will win Grade 1's in the future.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
The winners of the HGC and the Met are pretty good. I would guess Bribon and Rail Trip both will win Grade 1's in the future.
They may. Especially Rail Trip. But that won't change the fact that this is a pathetic year for the division.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
I would book that regarding Bribon. I think he's phenomenally average and this year's rendition of the Met was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Think of this, since the Met Mile this is what the 2-3-4 finishers have come back to do:

Smooth Air- 2nd at 7/5 in Salvatore Mile, 7th in Whitney

Driven by Success- Pounded by Munnings in the Tom Fool, 2nd against NY breds in John Morrissey

My Pal Charlie- badly beaten 3rd in the Cornhusker at Prairie

I suppose Bribon is likely to get his next opportunity in a race that he can win in the Cigar Mile but I'd still bet against him winning a GI.

NT
Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

I agree it looked like Commentator disrupted Macho Again just enough to throw him off. He did look like he was closing very strong. I'd keep an eye on him going into Belmonts Fall meet.