Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Jerome Park

Default Discreet Cat out....I'm shocked

http://www.drf.com/news/article/76178.html

I have maintained for quite a while that he will be very tough in his return to the races....the 2007 Sports Page.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Churchill Downs

S H I T!!! I have been waiting and waiting for this horse to start back. Well, it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Jerome Park

I would say he never runs again. I also don't particularly believe the cough is the reason he isn't running.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:25 PM
pgardn

Another dissappointment from Europe. It seems like every year some Derby and TC contender gets mentioned from overseas and never even races or just bombs. I guess I fallen for it too many years.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind

I have maintained for quite a while that he will be very tough in his return to the races....the 2007 Sports Page.
That doesn't surprise me a bit....I figured they'd skip the Travers anyway since stablemate Bernardini will be 6-5 in that spot, and now especially after he missed the Dwyer......It would be smart to keep them apart because they are just too good to be beating each other up.....the Sheiks like to patron the Super Derby @ La Downs on occasion and the timing may be right for Discreet Cat to try a spot like that now.....1 1/8-miles for a half million on Sept. 23rd....
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
I would say he never runs again. I also don't particularly believe the cough is the reason he isn't running.
I have a mare that is sharing a paddock with Discreet Cat's dam and know the people that raised Discreet Cat very well.....lets just say he may not be the soundest animal on the planet....I think he'll race again, though...why not?...Its the Sheiks....they have the money to wait and will give him all the chances he needs to get right.....

It is crazy to think of how talented he and Bernardini are.....I don't want him to retire because I think Darley has the best two sophomores in training and I wanted to see which one proved out ot be better....
Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

If they hurry, they might be able to make the 2007 Tri-State Handicap at Ellis.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I have a mare that is sharing a paddock with Discreet Cat's dam and know the people that raised Discreet Cat very well.....lets just say he may not be the soundest animal on the planet....I think he'll race again, though...why not?...Its the Sheiks....they have the money to wait and will give him all the chances he needs to get right.....

It is crazy to think of how talented he and Bernardini are.....I don't want him to retire because I think Darley has the best two sophomores in training and I wanted to see which one proved out ot be better....
I don't know what soundness issues the mare might have contributed But coming from the storm cat line it is safe to assume that he might have picked something up there...he's been brilliant thus far when he does race and I sincerely hope that they get him back at some point this year.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
I don't know what soundness issues the mare might have contributed But coming from the storm cat line it is safe to assume that he might have picked something up there...he's been brilliant thus far when he does race and I sincerely hope that they get him back at some point this year.
Yeah, I've seen the Private Account mare and she is nice...hell, she won the Alabama Stakes at the Spa when she was three!!!

His soundness issues definately can be trackes to the Storm Cat line...you never see Forestrys race beyond 3 or 4, do you?...No...very fragile.....Plus, although Discreet Cat is a beautiful colt he does have what I call a 'bicycle' action (because he looks like he's riding a bike in front when he moves)....there is a lot of wasted action there that usually leads to problems...
Old 07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
top predator.

plus he's a may foal and looks big...not the best combo for soundness sometimes wehn you want them to race @ 2 and early @ 3...
Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
I am not shocked. I never believed we would see him here, first for the derby, now the Travers. I doubt that he races again. Lets just say that I had a strange feeling that something was amiss at the DWC this year.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Another dissappointment from Europe. It seems like every year some Derby and TC contender gets mentioned from overseas and never even races or just bombs. I guess I fallen for it too many years.
DC ran here as a 2-year-old and was very impressive, so it's not like he's a total unknown.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Yeah, I've seen the Private Account mare and she is nice...hell, she won the Alabama Stakes at the Spa when she was three!!!

Pretty Discreet paid $81 when she won the Alabama in the slop. Let's see if you trivia experts can come up with the favorite in the race. Here's a hint...she was a bum.

Pretty Discreet was OK at best and really only memorable for her debut when a certain family member of the trainer was, unfortunately for him, unable to " take it from here Jerry " despite give it a yoeman's effort.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Godolphin is patient almost to a fault, but this does appear to be a case of something a little more troublesome than they are leading on.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Pretty Discreet paid $81 when she won the Alabama in the slop. Let's see if you trivia experts can come up with the favorite in the race. Here's a hint...she was a bum.

Pretty Discreet was OK at best and really only memorable for her debut when a certain family member of the trainer was, unfortunately for him, unable to " take it from here Jerry " despite give it a yoeman's effort.
Wasn't it Golden Bri? Kimmel's filly?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Jerome Park

I'm impressed. That's pretty good.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I'm impressed. That's pretty good.
All I remember was sitting there and being happy she won because it spawned a HUGE carryover. The next say it was indeed hit but many people who were alive died(that day was also in the slop) when Shug's filly blew the break in the Ballerina and Jerkens filly won, I think it was Missys Mirage. Have to check that out.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
doctor disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
All I remember was sitting there and being happy she won because it spawned a HUGE carryover. The next say it was indeed hit but many people who were alive died(that day was also in the slop) when Shug's filly blew the break in the Ballerina and Jerkens filly won, I think it was Missys Mirage. Have to check that out.
Missys Mirage ridden by Julie Krone,Inside Information fell on her face out of the gate.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor disaster
Missys Mirage ridden by Julie Krone,Inside Information fell on her face out of the gate.
It was Classy Mirage, not Missy's Mirage and yes I know it was Inside Information who stumbled at the gate that day on the sloppy track.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

Either way, I like Private Account mares...........