Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
oracle80

Default 4 in a row for Pletcher both baby races

Amazing, just incredible. Pletcher debuts a stunner in race 2 whos three. WIns the stake, then wins a maiden claimer, then unveils a stunner in race 5 with another SMASHING baby. Incredible machine.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Randwyck

How'd Consecration look, Oracle? Love those Pulpit's. thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
How'd Consecration look, Oracle? Love those Pulpit's. thanks!
My clocker said Consecration had been training excellent and he ran like it. Trust me he was very good. Had he run in the stakes race instead of the maiden race he may have won, I'm not kidding. But Todd's maiden was a buzzsaw.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Randwyck

Thanks, Oracle. No shame in finishing a good 2nd to a very nice horse - he should win the next time out. I didn't even know his pedigree, but once I saw his name, lol, I knew he had to be by Pulpit.

Todd has a talented 2 year old filly named Rags to Riches who's a 1/2 to Jazil; she finished a good fourth in her first start. She should add to his stable of baby winners shortly. Already so far (and it's very early in the season) there have been a lot of promising 2 year olds......
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Sunshine Park

Pletcher is loaded with 2YO's this year. Should be interesting!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:01 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Thanks, Oracle. No shame in finishing a good 2nd to a very nice horse - he should win the next time out. I didn't even know his pedigree, but once I saw his name, lol, I knew he had to be by Pulpit.

Todd has a talented 2 year old filly named Rags to Riches who's a 1/2 to Jazil; she finished a good fourth in her first start. She should add to his stable of baby winners shortly. Already so far (and it's very early in the season) there have been a lot of promising 2 year olds......
Consecration should be a sure thing next out, unless of course Todd has another one ready!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Hoisttheflag

Hopefully he won't ruin them like he did Keyed Entry.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:31 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Hopefully he won't ruin them like he did Keyed Entry.
yeah Hoist, sure. Its his fault the owners wanted to run in the Derby. It was basically printed for all to read. I'm sure Todds crying right now, no wait, maybe hes tallying up all the wins he had this weekend and clearing more space in the extra room he must have had to put on his house for all teh trophies, lol!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
yeah Hoist, sure. Its his fault the owners wanted to run in the Derby. It was basically printed for all to read. I'm sure Todds crying right now, no wait, maybe hes tallying up all the wins he had this weekend and clearing more space in the extra room he must have had to put on his house for all teh trophies, lol!!!
I like Pletcher but you and a few others are out of control. One guy calling him "the modern day silver fox". Pletchers record in the classics borders on atrocious. I would think he will win some but until he does he can't be put in with Baffert. The Saratoga crowd needs to remember they race outside of NY.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
I like Pletcher but you and a few others are out of control. One guy calling him "the modern day silver fox". Pletchers record in the classics borders on atrocious. I would think he will win some but until he does he can't be put in with Baffert. The Saratoga crowd needs to remember they race outside of NY.
You mean like at oaklawn where he won the Apple Blossom? Or californai where he won the American oaks? Or Kentucky where he won the Woodford reserve and Ky oaks? You mean like that?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:46 PM
oracle80

How about Texas where he won two breeders cup races? Do they count at all?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
You mean like at oaklawn where he won the Apple Blossom? Or californai where he won the American oaks? Or Kentucky where he won the Woodford reserve and Ky oaks? You mean like that?
No I mean like 0 for 51 or whatever it is in the Classic races. You can cry about luck in the derby but that excuse doesn't cut it in the Preakness and Belmont. 0 for 51 is tough to do. Real tough. What does Baffert have 8 Classic wins and he didn't even have JJ to help him get into the business. Lukas did it all on his own too from being a teacher. Pletcher might get there one day but he is a long long long way from the big guys.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
How about Texas where he won two breeders cup races? Do they count at all?
The guy has a huge stable and ZERO Classic wins. ZERO.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

so does that mean that john servis is a better trainer than todd pletcher? lol puh-leeze!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
so does that mean that john servis is a better trainer than todd pletcher? lol puh-leeze!
Nope. But it does mean Baffert and Lukas are. Puh-leeze!

I laugh at how you guys bash the Cunningham guy for his daddy getting him into the game but you just look past the daddy connection with Pletcher.

Last edited by Hoisttheflag : 07-04-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

for one, i've never said anything negative to cunningham about anything.
second, i didn't compare pletcher to baffert or lukas, you did. but i think you're path to greatness is to narrow, if it only includes those with a classic win. i'd rather have a trainer who performs day in and day out than someone who gets more lucky than good a couple times a year. and before you pounce, i'm not including either trainer you mentioned in that.
besides, pletcher had a heck of a day and deserves some props for that. sorry you don't care for it.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
Servis is better at taking a quality colt and developing him into a classic winner.

Yes ... yes, he is.

Pletcher is the King Of The MSW Sprints and very good at developing fillies.

But the center ring of this circus is for G1 male horses racing at classic distances on the dirt. And that spotlight never seems to shine on Mr. Pletcher.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
eurobounce

Pletcher by far is one of the best trainers in the game today. Of course if you gave his stable to Zito, Mandella, Frankel, Baffert etc etc then the results will be about the same. In this game there are a few races that matter. Those races are triple crown races and breeders cup races. So far Pletcher has a big goose egg in triple crown races and he as a couple of breeder cup wins. But his stable has only been open since 1995. He has a 28% win and 60.8% in the money. But until he can win some triple crown races then he is going to be in the shadow of Zito, Baffert and Lukas. But there is no question he is one of the top trainers in the nation today.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Regardless of how many classics he hasn't won, or who helped him get into the business, he is the best trainer in the country.

He wins a lot of purse money and the top organizations in the business trust him with their first string.

Money and winning are what it is about, and he has figured that out for sure.

I don't care if he hasn't touched a horse in two years, he is the best trainer in this country.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Servis is better at taking a quality colt and developing him into a classic winner.

Yes ... yes, he is.

Pletcher is the King Of The MSW Sprints and very good at developing fillies.

But the center ring of this circus is for G1 male horses racing at classic distances on the dirt. And that spotlight never seems to shine on Mr. Pletcher.
you have got to be kidding. servis was lucky enough to have that horse show up in his stable. he was in the right place at the right time, much like risen stars connections! winning a classic doesn't make you a classic!!
winning a classic race means you're the best?! right. that's like saying derrick cope is a hall of fame driver because he lucked into a daytona 500 win.