Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I don't know that Buss Sr did anything but sign checks. It is hard to hang blame on the Lakers end of the Paul fiasco. Trading Odom and Gasol for Paul sure looks like it would have been a great deal in hindsight.
Of course it was, and I said it at the time. It was a terrible deal for NO though. I think you greatly understate what Buss did. He was pretty savvy and had a lot of pull. I really think if he were still running things Stern may not have pulled the trade.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
The past few nights I saw three guys that WANTED to take the last shot. One plays for the Lakers, one for OKC, and the other for Miami. None of them are named James.
Hes the best basketball player in the world, its not even really close.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Coach Pants

Donut for titles and he's the best? Pure hype.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Kobe is the best contested jump shot maker in history. Unfortunately for him, that is about all he gets against good teams these days.
Kobe was the best contested jump shot maker in history. He has far too many 9-27 games now where he starts playing hero ball in the 2nd quarter, firing up low percentage shots. He has played through a lot of injuries in his career but defenses realize that he doesnt want to go to the basket much anymore and as such are not giving him as much room as they used to. He doesnt play defense with the same intensity, he doesnt go hard to the basket much, he settles for too many bad shots, and this year really slipped though you wont hear that in the mainstream. His shooting percentages were down to 43% and 30%, his turnovers were up and they still play him too many minutes though he doesnt play as much as he used to. I know that people will say the supporting cast isnt great but he has probably the best low post scorer in the league and one of the best high post big guys to work with.

Guy has been an alltime great player and if a guy named Jordan didn't exist we might be saying he had the greatest career of anyone but he is not the same player he was even 2 years ago. The new collective bargining agreement screws teams like the Lakers who are on the books for 28 and 30 million for Bryant alone the next two seasons. I dont know how teams like the Lakers and Knicks (or the Heat for that matter) are going to be able to get better with no wiggle room and giant contracts as albatrosses.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Of course it was, and I said it at the time. It was a terrible deal for NO though. I think you greatly understate what Buss did. He was pretty savvy and had a lot of pull. I really think if he were still running things Stern may not have pulled the trade.
I have been told that Buss' best attribute was that he hired good people and let them do their job. Kind of the opposite of Dolan who hires dolts and then pressues them to make bad moves. He is a shrewd businessman who isnt nearly as rich as most owners of professional sports teams but Jerry West called the shots for a longtime in LA.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I'm not so sure he is any longer. He isn't playing like it.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Coach Pants

He's not. Durant is better and has way more character.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Sha Tin

Last nights foul shooting display was uncanny. Lakers 42 of 43 and Thunder 26 of 28.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Coach Pants

I've never been a fan of Doug Collins but he deserves credit for the job he's done in Philly.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Last nights foul shooting display was uncanny. Lakers 42 of 43 and Thunder 26 of 28.
It was almost as amazing as the Lakers getting every call known to man to make sure there wasn't a sweep. Harden getting called for two off the ball fouls in the 4th were ridiculous considering Asstest rapes Durant on every possession and never gets called for it, ever.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Coach Pants

Home teams always get the calls. They need the series to go at least 6 games so they can show Timberlake and Nicholson clapping.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Big market home teams always get the calls.
FTFY.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Chris Webber, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic, and the city of Sacramento just sent Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Brooks a text saying "Yes, that really did just happen. We know how you feel."
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Chris Webber, Mike Bibby, Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic, and the city of Sacramento just sent Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Brooks a text saying "Yes, that really did just happen. We know how you feel."
I knew it was a loss when I saw Joey Crawford was there. The Lakers almost never lose, anywhere, when he calls the game. The numbers are insanely slanted for the Lakers in the playoffs when Crawford is there and when he isn't. I think it is 23-3 with, and something like 10-12 without.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I knew it was a loss when I saw Joey Crawford was there. The Lakers almost never lose, anywhere, when he calls the game. The numbers are insanely slanted for the Lakers in the playoffs when Crawford is there and when he isn't. I think it is 23-3 with, and something like 10-12 without.
I dated Joey Crawford's daughter for like a week in college. Safe to say he has his favorites, and his daughter's previous boyfriends (black) didnt make that list. No shock to me that he calls games in that fashion, if in fact it is true.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
KD is showing you how the game is played in the clutch tonight. NO FEAR!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
KD is showing you how the game is played in the clutch tonight. NO FEAR!
I take it the game was called more fairly tonight?

Weird how that works....
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I take it the game was called more fairly tonight?

Weird how that works....
You think it wasn't? I'm of course biased sometimes, but I don't think it was in the Thunder's favor by any stretch tonight. The numbers I'm sure don't say that.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
You think it wasn't? I'm of course biased sometimes, but I don't think it was in the Thunder's favor by any stretch tonight. The numbers I'm sure don't say that.
I think there were some makeup calls possibly and some of the whistles that went the Lakers way Friday went the Thunder way last night.

But I don 't think it was blatantly in the Thunder favor, like I don't think it was blatantly in the Lakers favor Friday. Ultimately what I'm saying is it all evens out.

If I was you I wouldn't be worried about the refs. Your team has now been outplayed in at least 4, maybe 5 of these playoff games by wildly inferior teams, but have found a way late. I imagine the Spurs won't allow them the same luxury next round.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Coach Pants

I think Gasol is throwing the season. That was a sorry a.ss pass attempt in crunch time.