Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Yearling

Default This Week's Kentucky Derby Spotlight Horse- Great Hunter

After hearing about how there are no California horses on our Top 10 list, we decided to make one of our On the Radar horses, Great Hunter, our spotlight horse of the week.

http://2007triplecrowntrail.blogspot.com/

Will Great Hunter Get his Prey on the first Saturday in May?

The Grade 1 winning Great Hunter, nicknamed "Little Lava Man" currently sits in our On the Radar section. The son of 2000 Kentucky Derby runner up Aptitude, the Lanes End Breeder's Cup Futurity winner could be a force to be reckoned with come May. Bought for only $30,000 as a yearling at the Keeneland September sale, Great Hunter's current owner, Paul Reddam, purchased him privately after Great Hunter won his maiden at Lone Star in his second start.

He has shown a ton of improvement since adding blinkers. His trainer Doug O'Neil loves his horse saying "he acts like an older horse. I'm excited about him." He even goes so far as to call him his "Little Lava Man."

With a win over our current number 2 Street Sense and our current number 5 Circular Quay, he is deserving of a spot in the Top 10, however that win was on the polytrack. We find it hard to believe he can make up 12 lengths he was beaten by Street Sense over the same Churchill track they will run on in May. But you never know, Great Hunter just might bag the big game and find his way into the winner's circle on the first Saturday in May.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
After hearing about how there are no California horses on our Top 10 list, we decided to make one of our On the Radar horses, Great Hunter, our spotlight horse of the week.

http://2007triplecrowntrail.blogspot.com/

Will Great Hunter Get his Prey on the first Saturday in May?

The Grade 1 winning Great Hunter, nicknamed "Little Lava Man" currently sits in our On the Radar section. The son of 2000 Kentucky Derby runner up Aptitude, the Lanes End Breeder's Cup Futurity winner could be a force to be reckoned with come May. Bought for only $30,000 as a yearling at the Keeneland September sale, Great Hunter's current owner, Paul Reddam, purchased him privately after Great Hunter won his maiden at Lone Star in his second start.

He has shown a ton of improvement since adding blinkers. His trainer Doug O'Neil loves his horse saying "he acts like an older horse. I'm excited about him." He even goes so far as to call him his "Little Lava Man."

With a win over our current number 2 Street Sense and our current number 5 Circular Quay, he is deserving of a spot in the Top 10, however that win was on the polytrack. We find it hard to believe he can make up 12 lengths he was beaten by Street Sense over the same Churchill track they will run on in May. But you never know, Great Hunter just might bag the big game and find his way into the winner's circle on the first Saturday in May.
hey Obi Wan, I'm curious, are you representing a syndicate? Why all the we's and our's? Don't tell me its like the "royal" we.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
hey Obi Wan, I'm curious, are you representing a syndicate? Why all the we's and our's? Don't tell me its like the "royal" we.
2 of us came up with the list and do the writing. We are no experts or anything. It is just a blog that we do while watching television but it would be misleading to just say one person was doing it. I am sure when ti gets busy some of our posts may contradict each other and it is better to just explain why they might. I have the top horse as number 1 and the other guy has him at number 3 and we both had Street Sense at 2 and he had Tiz Wonderful at 1 and I had him at number 4.

Last edited by Obi-Wan : 12-02-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

well, great hunter will be the early book fave for the bluegrass i guess....or that turfway race. ah, kahlua, wipes out the memories.