Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Santa Anita

Default Who's really going to Turkey?

Got this from Ray Paulick's blog: http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/co...ed-for-turkey/ which has Dehere, Lion Heart, and Powerscourt going to Turkey. Then I saw elsewhere that Yonaguska is being cleared to leave and that it's being denied that the other three along with Cuvee are going anywhere. I missed the first 30 min of ATR so if Steve mentioned it, sorry for the redundancy.

Didn't Old Friends try to get Strike the Gold back from Turkey before and the fact that folks wanted him so badly caused the price to get jacked up and they couldn't do it? That was the Turkey Jockey Club right? It's been a little while, I just remember $50 certificates being sold to raise money sort of like tiny shares for a piece of STG. Sorry if that info's not correct, it's from memory and I feel like it was a few years ago. I just know it seemed like it might happen and there was disappointment. If I'm misrepresenting the TJC I apologize. Every time I hear about stallions going to Turkey it makes me think of that. STG was my first Derby pick and I still remember his Pimlico Special fondly.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
Got this from Ray Paulick's blog: http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/co...ed-for-turkey/ which has Dehere, Lion Heart, and Powerscourt going to Turkey. Then I saw elsewhere that Yonaguska is being cleared to leave and that it's being denied that the other three along with Cuvee are going anywhere. I missed the first 30 min of ATR so if Steve mentioned it, sorry for the redundancy.

Didn't Old Friends try to get Strike the Gold back from Turkey before and the fact that folks wanted him so badly caused the price to get jacked up and they couldn't do it? That was the Turkey Jockey Club right? It's been a little while, I just remember $50 certificates being sold to raise money sort of like tiny shares for a piece of STG. Sorry if that info's not correct, it's from memory and I feel like it was a few years ago. I just know it seemed like it might happen and there was disappointment. If I'm misrepresenting the TJC I apologize. Every time I hear about stallions going to Turkey it makes me think of that. STG was my first Derby pick and I still remember his Pimlico Special fondly.
You are about to get Scuds all flustered talking about the Turks.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think Strike the Gold is back in the States now if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
You are about to get Scuds all flustered talking about the Turks.
Have you seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? You made me think of the scenes in there with Yia Yia going around ranting in Greek about the Turks. Everyone just smiles and nods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I think Strike the Gold is back in the States now if my memory serves me correctly.
I can't find any indication Strike the Gold is here. I guess the Turkish National Stud doesn't have an easily findable website but I'll keep hunting for a list of who they have at stud. I just know it's not popping up on Google with the terms I'm using but I'll try some other stuff. Maybe I need to remove the language filter. Old Friends doesn't have STG I'm pretty sure so I dunno who would. Maybe the Zitos worked something out. I know Kim Zito had been concerned about him post-Ferdinand.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
I can't find any indication Strike the Gold is here. I guess the Turkish National Stud doesn't have an easily findable website
Well there's this...

http://www.tjk.org/tjk_en/Content/Ay...ar_en.aspx?l=2

It looks like Strike the Gold is still there.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Saratoga

All the Good gets a new home...

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/br...D=169306&id=FP
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Flemington

Wouldn't be surprised if the Turks get a world-class sprinter from Lion Heart, or Cuvee....Name him "Sof Ucku Dan."

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 02-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Wouldn't be surprised if the Turks get a world-class sprinter from Lion Heart, or Cuvee....Name him "Sof Ucku Dan."
No, they should name him after you.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Idlewild Airport

Going to a great place that Turkey.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/or...12283077.shtml
Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35

Jesus.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

words can't describe how horrifyingly disgusting that is.

i did a search, but i'm uncomfortable about backing a group i know nothing about. what's the best women rights group internationally? that puts their donations to use, not to salaries?
i found one called 'madre'. any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Idlewild Airport

Danzig, this is par for the course in many supposedly progressive Muslim countries.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Danzig, this is par for the course in many supposedly progressive Muslim countries.

yes, i know. it's far beyond awful.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Flemington

To be honest, It's usually the Kurds (in Southeastern Turkey) that do the honor killings in Turkey. I think that's probably the case in this situation. That area is almost all Kurdish. The Kurds are always fighting the Turkish Miltary in Southeastern Turkey. I don't know why the Turks want that area. Maybe for water, or they want a buffer zone. Maybe they just enjoy control .