Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4
.........scuds, come on........arcadia gets so much hotter than beautiful inglewood.
It's hotter (for sure.)If we don't get an onshore flow from the ocean,then we get hot over here.Whenever there are Santa Ana winds,we get hot(same as anywhere else.)I'd say that the hotter it gets,then the less the ocean helps.If it's like 100 degrees in Arcadia,it's about 93-95 here.If it's 85 in Arcadia,then yes,it can be 72 degrees here.It mainly helps during the 80-89 degree temps.( in the valleys.) Once it starts to get 90 degrees in the valley,then we don't avoid being hot over here.We are like 80-85.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Flemington

We have rain now...They saying rain through-out the weekend.I didn't hear any plans from Hammersly last Friday.He ducked it until Sunday ,or Monday.So,what did he say on Sunday,or Monday? Said they would pretty much make a decision by then.What's the decision?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
We have rain now...They saying rain through-out the weekend.I didn't hear any plans from Hammersly last Friday.He ducked it until Sunday ,or Monday.So,what did he say on Sunday,or Monday? Said they would pretty much make a decision by then.What's the decision?
Flip a coin.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Oaklawn

I live 6 miles from Santa Anita and the sky is black and it's raining. Looks like its going to be a rain out folks.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
The Curragh

Yup...it looks like the SUNSHINE Millions is going to be rained out
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Oaklawn

This is the 5pm rain out look in Arcadia California. Starting to really come down. Yes it does rain in California.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Coach Pants

Make it rain on them hoes.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Fairgrounds

Well the rain saves me from wasting time capping the worst card I have seen in So Cal since Fairplex. Four maiden claimers and 2 low level claimers in 8 races. I understand Sunshine is this weekend but why bother carding this.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Oaklawn

Good rain for about 6 hours last night, more than enough to cancel Santa Anita today.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Bowie

Just took a look at the Cushion Track webcam on Santa Anita's website. Standing water is visible and there are no workers this morning. It doesn't look good. For those at home or at work this morning/afternoon, I'm sure Ralph Siraco will have an update on his Race Day Las Vegas show this morning. His regular So. Cal connection, Jon Lindo, is playing in the Horseplayer World Series at the Orleans, but I would think they will have some sort of update. The show begins at 9:05AM Pacific on www.kshp.com.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Randwyck

So.....what was the reason for them not moving the races to Hollywood immediately, and treating the cushion track with the pro-ride solution right away instead of waiting until later?

and what would happen to the Magna 5?
I was just looking forward to playing it this weekend.
Can they remove the 2 SA races and replace them with 2 at Golden Gate???
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Bowie

First they had to do tests with the Pro Ride mixtures, which took several days. Once it was proven to work, they still needed 10 days to get the stuff manufactured. They may have been better off moving to Hollypark for a month while the surface got fixed, but it was a logistic nightmare for Santa Anita to move their offices for such a short time.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
The Curragh

why can't they just cover the dirt with tarp when it rains!! like how they do in baseball
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
why can't they just cover the dirt with tarp when it rains!! like how they do in baseball
I may be wrong on this one but I can't imagine that Home Depot LA carries tarps 20 times the size of an infield with 90 foot bases. With the mile track I think we are well into fantasy land about instant tarps covering things...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
the drainage is under the track. the water would just pool on the tarp. unless they covered the tarp with a tent. then it would run off the tent and pool outside the tent. unless they had a bigger tent to put over that tent.

then they'd be racing indoors.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Del Mar

They are still hoping to run on Saturday but I don't think it's going to happen. If they can't run Saturday, they will postpone those 4 races until the following Saturday. But it's not even a sure thing that they will be able to run the following Saturday. It wll depend if the track is operational by then. They are planning to add the new material to the track this coming week. It's not a sure thing that everything will go as planned with the new material they are adding. But assuming that they can't run this Saturday and assuming that the work on the track is complete by late next week, then it looks like they will run those four Sunshine Million races a week from this Saturday at Santa Anita.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
They are still hoping to run on Saturday but I don't think it's going to happen. If they can't run Saturday, they will postpone those 4 races until the following Saturday. But it's not even a sure thing that they will be able to run the following Saturday. It wll depend if the track is operational by then. They are planning to add the new material to the track this coming week. It's not a sure thing that everything will go as planned with the new material they are adding. But assuming that they can't run this Saturday and assuming that the work on the track is complete by late next week, then it looks like they will run those four Sunshine Million races a week from this Saturday at Santa Anita.
There has to be some pretty frustrated and pissed off horseman, no?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Oaklawn

How do you lose the winter meet at Santa Anita?

Count on it not raining in California.

This is very embarassing for So Cal racing.

Local trainers are sending their stock to Golden Gate.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Coach Pants

All that matters is the horsies are safe. I applaud the CHRB and Magna for achieving that goal.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
There has to be some pretty frustrated and pissed off horseman, no?
Yes, the whole situation is very frustrating. I'm not really pissed off. They tried to do it right. They didn't try to cut corners. They spent $11 million which is much more than Hollywood Park spent. Everyone had good intentions. It just hasn't worked out so far at Santa Anita.

The only one I really blame is Cushion Track. They botched the job. They obviously did not do the proper testing. I wonder if they did any testing at all.