Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Sunshine Park

Default Saratoga Trip

I am going to be making my first trip to Saratoga this year, probably the 1st weekend of August. I live in Florida, what is the best airport to fly into? I dont mind flying in to a place and driving 30-60 minutes If I can get a better rate that way.

Also, any advice on where to stay in Toga? Where to hang out?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBred
I am going to be making my first trip to Saratoga this year, probably the 1st weekend of August. I live in Florida, what is the best airport to fly into? I dont mind flying in to a place and driving 30-60 minutes If I can get a better rate that way.

You'll want to fly into the Albany Airport which is about 20 miles south of Saratoga. No advice on where to stay in Saratoga although you could probably save some money by staying in Albany and getting a rental car (assuming you aren't planning on drinking a lot in Saratoga). There are tons of places to hang out around the Caroline St/Main St area. I'd recommend trying as many out as you have time for.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:

fly into Albany....and hang out at the track...all day...morning works...then the races. After the races...hitch a ride to the Saratoga Harness facility...they have simulcast. They have wonderful food and adult beverages offered there as well. The draft beer is generally warmer than the pizza
Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B
fly into Albany....and hang out at the track...all day...morning works...then the races. After the races...hitch a ride to the Saratoga Harness facility...they have simulcast. They have wonderful food and adult beverages offered there as well. The draft beer is generally warmer than the pizza
Hitch a ride? It's not that far to walk!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B

LOL, Thanks! I was thinking maybe some saratoga night life after a full day at the ponies may be a wlecome change, but the harness track is a close 2nd!!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Hitch a ride? It's not that far to walk!

well...the guy was going that way anyways...he was kind enough to offer
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
LOL, Thanks! I was thinking maybe some saratoga night life after a full day at the ponies may be a wlecome change, but the harness track is a close 2nd!!
true...getting sh*tfaced at The Wine Bar is a close 2nd
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Flemington

In the Paddock section there is a thread "Saratoga Area Dining" which may be helpful.

Also, if shopping is your thing, make sure you hit every gift shop on Broadway...they rock! (especially Impressions of Saratoga)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
In the Paddock section there is a thread "Saratoga Area Dining" which may be helpful.

Also, if shopping is your thing, make sure you hit every gift shop on Broadway...they rock! (especially Impressions of Saratoga)
Actually I am more into the all day gambling and drinking, then off to the bars for some more drinking and company of beautiful ladies! How are the ladies in Toga on a routine weekend?

I can shop at home, but thanks....all suggestions are welcomed!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B
well...the guy was going that way anyways...he was kind enough to offer
Lazy butt! Just kidding
Everyone in my office thinks it's insane to actually use the free parking or to park on Fifth Street because to them, the walk is soooo long.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Actually I am more into the all day gambling and drinking, then off to the bars for some more drinking and company of beautiful ladies! How are the ladies in Toga on a routine weekend?

I'll have to step down and let the guys answer this!
(Siro's is a must after the track stop though. )
Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:

um....honestly....if your gonna be drinking, are you really gonna give a sh*t what the ladies look like?? They will all be beautiful after drinking all day
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B
um....honestly....if your gonna be drinking, are you really gonna give a sh*t what the ladies look like?? They will all be beautiful after drinking all day
Yep, and if you still care, just double bag em.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B

Um....Yeah I still care......would you rather be in a place where there are good looking ladies or a place where they look like they are related to rosie odonell?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:43 PM
top predator.

Quote:

there are plenty of easily accessed hotels in town...although the rates double during racing
one caveat....BOOK EARLY...the first weekend in August will be hard to get a room if you wait since the yearling sale starts on the 6th...between the consigners and the buyers getting rooms are in high demand.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Um....Yeah I still care......would you rather be in a place where there are good looking ladies or a place where they look like they are related to rosie odonell?

Rosie is ugly???
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
there are plenty of easily accessed hotels in town...although the rates double during racing
one caveat....BOOK EARLY...the first weekend in August will be hard to get a room if you wait since the yearling sale starts on the 6th...between the consigners and the buyers getting rooms are in high demand.
That is such a great weekend though between the sales and hall of fame day. (plus some OK stakes races)

FLbred, Closing weekend is probably the best bet for fair pricing. With the long holiday and the Woodward now being on the Monday you get a lot of racing action...although this year it was already cool fast.

If money isn't an issue, stay for the week of Travers. Every night there is something going on, but I'd book now.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Saratoga allows cans to be brought in (I'm talkin 30 pack cases). Ladies at the TRACK are incredible. It's more of a concert crowd than the average racetrack crowd and alhough some will surely argue, Siro's just outside the track had more post-race eye candy than any club here in Chicago.That's where you can find me opening w/e with a bunch of others here.
PS I had awesome b-bque inside the track at a place called Carolna B-b-que. Hope it's still there this summer.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Pimlico

On the other hand, if money is an issue - or you'd just like more gambing money - there's an inexpensive Econolodge in Latham, just north of the airport in Albany.

If you can stay for the Hall of Fame ceremonies, by all means do so. If you can stay Tuesday for the sales in the evening, it's kinda fun. Where else can you find yourself looking over a yearling while standing beside a Hall of Fame trainer? Leave yourself time to visit the National Museum of Racing.

I generally do day trips to Saratoga with my husband, grown children, or friends, so know little about the nightlife, and prefer to not even try to comment on the comliness of the women. I do try, at least once a year, to just stroll down Broadway on a Friday or Saturday evening, just for the enjoyment of it.

I always try to use the free parking down behind the police station, off Lake, when I'm going downtown. Always use the free parking at the track. It can be a trudge, but I find it rather fun. (The shuttle buses are a kind of funhouse ride.)

The crowds there are, well, crowds, but generally good natured.

I find it well worthwhile to do the $2 clubhouse upgrade. I generally carry in a folding chair and rarely have a reserved seat, so I find the best viewing is in the clubhouse area, both on the rail, or up above the seats.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

If that is what you are looking for then definitely hit up Siro's after the track and then head on to Gaffney's on Caroline St later.