Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Delaware Park

Default Total Hypocrisy Live on ATR

Steve,

You know that I am a huge fan, but I cringe every time you have the Master of Padua Stable on the show, as he is right now, and he espouses his weekly rant about how the industry stakeholders endorse and support change for the better......yada, yada, yada........ Doesn't he, or for that matter you and the listening audience grasp the irony in his hypocrisy? In a quote from a few minutes ago he said that when a trainer is suspended for medication violations, the assistant shouldn't be allowed to just take over. Hello ! What stable are his horses in ? I believe it was perfectly fine with him then. This is just one example.

He may be a nice guy, and is obviously not stupid, but if he is to have a shred of credibility regarding anything he says and wants to do, shouldn't he lead by example, instead of telling everyone else what they should be doing?

It would be nice if, instead of letting him speak freely, how about calling him out and letting him explain himself regarding how he contradicts his spoken beliefs with his actions.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Steve Byk

Mike,

Don't disagree about questioning Satish but want to save the more drawn out discussion for a quieter time than Derby Week when people are hanging on for very specific conversation. I also wanted to argue the falsehood of Lasix as masking agent, but again felt the timing wasn't appropriate.

We're going to have an on-air summit on this subject, and as exactly the type of horseman that will be most affected by any widespread overhaul of race-day medication rules, I'd be pleased to have your input.

SB

Last edited by Kasept : 05-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader View Post
Steve,

You know that I am a huge fan, but I cringe every time you have the Master of Padua Stable on the show, as he is right now, and he espouses his weekly rant about how the industry stakeholders endorse and support change for the better......yada, yada, yada........ Doesn't he, or for that matter you and the listening audience grasp the irony in his hypocrisy? In a quote from a few minutes ago he said that when a trainer is suspended for medication violations, the assistant shouldn't be allowed to just take over. Hello ! What stable are his horses in ? I believe it was perfectly fine with him then. This is just one example.

He may be a nice guy, and is obviously not stupid, but if he is to have a shred of credibility regarding anything he says and wants to do, shouldn't he lead by example, instead of telling everyone else what they should be doing?

It would be nice if, instead of letting him speak freely, how about calling him out and letting him explain himself regarding how he contradicts his spoken beliefs with his actions.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
scat daddy

Well put Mike...although I just tune out the show while he is on.

Scat OUT
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Monmouth Park

I love your show Steve!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader View Post
Steve,

Much the same as the recently deceased Jackson who stood up in front of Congress and babbled about the culture of drugs, blah blah and low and behold there he was holding Assmussens hand at the Keeneland sale that same year while he was in the middle of his 2nd 6 month drug suspension. A sad number of big owners who act as though they are hard right conservatives on the medication issue employ trainers who are the worst offenders and yet somehow they get a pass. Barry Irwin's defense of Pletcher was laughable in the face of his public "stance".
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Much the same as the recently deceased Jackson who stood up in front of Congress and babbled about the culture of drugs, blah blah and low and behold there he was holding Assmussens hand at the Keeneland sale that same year while he was in the middle of his 2nd 6 month drug suspension. A sad number of big owners who act as though they are hard right conservatives on the medication issue employ trainers who are the worst offenders and yet somehow they get a pass. Barry Irwin's defense of Pletcher was laughable in the face of his public "stance".

Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat daddy View Post
Well put Mike...although I just tune out the show while he is on.

Scat OUT
Very open-minded approach. I'm sure you're much better prepared to talk about topics like this having no idea what a major owner and member of the BCL Board thinks.

Satish Sanan may be a far-from-perfect stakeholder in the game, but his willingness to openly examine the kinds of issues that he covers in his visits provides players/fans with an insight into what a guy like him is thinking. He has spent millions upon millions of dollars in the game, and contributed countless hours to steering organization efforts. And while becoming a major voice for industry improvement, he has rankled the 'powers that be' in the game by exposing many of the problems that plague racing. Love or hate him, he's been willing to openly discuss some unseemly aspects of the industry, and is an individual who would like to see things stabilized and improved.

Listeners to ATR as fans/players/stakeholders are better off hearing from someone like him regularly. And as host, I'm trying to prompt the discussions. I don't have to concur with everything Sanan says, but I do have to choose when to delve more deeply into some of the things we talk about. Wednesday wasn't the time for that.

Last edited by Kasept : 05-05-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Very open-minded approach. I'm sure you're much better prepared to talk about topics like this having no idea what a major owner and member of the BCL Board thinks.

Satish Sanan may be a far-from-perfect stakeholder in the game, but his willingness to openly examine the kinds of issues that he covers in his visits provides players/fans with an insight into what a guy like him is thinking. He has spent millions upon millions of dollars in the game, and contributed countless hours to steering organization efforts. And while becoming a major voice for industry improvement, he has rankled the 'powers that be' in the game by exposing many of the problems that plague racing. Love or hate him, he's been willing to openly discuss some unseemly aspects of the industry, and is an individual who would like to see things stabilized and improved.

Listeners to ATR as fans/players/stakeholders are better off hearing from someone like him regularly. And as host, I'm trying to prompt the discussions. I don't have to concur with everything Sanan says, but I do have to choose when to delve more deeply into some of the things we talk about. Wednesday wasn't the time for that.

Last edited by Kasept : 05-05-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Hollywood Park

I believe that Satish is sincere.....He is one of the few that continually argues out that the economic model in throughbred racing in this country is broken and needs repair.......Not an easy or popular stance to take in the sport that you love....
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Turf Paradise

I'm not sure if this is a Satish issue or a drug issue. I would like to comment on the drug issue. You hear baseball players tell you that steriods don't help you hit a baseball but if that is so why do they break the rules and take steriods. Also why did the steriod age produce power numbers that we may never see again. Has anybody looked at batting averages and power numbers this year. They look like they did in the 70's
My point here is the trainers wouldn't be breaking the rules unless they thought these drugs have an actual benefit. I also love the show but when Steve "kind of" sticks up for Dutrow it makes my stomach turn. Here's a guy that cheats all the time and when he does he is basically sticking his hands in our pockets and stealing our hard earned money. There should be no place in the sport for guys like him. They are the guys we need to worry about, not Satish.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post
I believe that Satish is sincere.....He is one of the few that continually argues out that the economic model in throughbred racing in this country is broken and needs repair.......Not an easy or popular stance to take in the sport that you love....
But any inkling of a solution that he offers up always looks out for the owners first. The foundation is the players. You need to fix the foundation first in a crumbling house.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I'm not sure if this is a Satish issue or a drug issue. I would like to comment on the drug issue. You hear baseball players tell you that steriods don't help you hit a baseball but if that is so why do they break the rules and take steriods. Also why did the steriod age produce power numbers that we may never see again. Has anybody looked at batting averages and power numbers this year. They look like they did in the 70's
My point here is the trainers wouldn't be breaking the rules unless they thought these drugs have an actual benefit. I also love the show but when Steve "kind of" sticks up for Dutrow it makes my stomach turn. Here's a guy that cheats all the time and when he does he is basically sticking his hands in our pockets and stealing our hard earned money. There should be no place in the sport for guys like him. They are the guys we need to worry about, not Satish.
Dino,

I don't have time to talk about the first half of the post, but it's a furtive topic and will try to get back to it. (Chuck is ideal to make the baseball comparison.) As to part two, I will just quickly say that any 'defense' of Rick Dutrow I make is in the broader context of the principles of even-handed application of the rules. Apply them fairly, not conveniently. Dutrow is a careless operator that has a cavalier attitude, or general disregard, for the rules of racing. It's fine to discipline him using the rule book as written. But make sure you're doing the same for everyone, and you cannot make up double secret probations to single out low hanging fruit. That's the only 'defense' I've ever made of Dutrow.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
scat daddy

Pretty intersting answer... for not knowing for a minute who I know in the business and who not. but that is ok..Me personally, I do not care for him and or his thoughts and can easily tune him out when he is on. Good luck in the Derby Mr. Byk.

Scat OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

Closed Thread