Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
It's very possible this colt hits the frickin wall at a mile.. IMO more so then WP cant get 10f's..

Nothing wrong with an awesome miler Rosie...You maybe right about the horse and wrong about the course and distance...Maybe he is Lure 2?
I think the colt is very, very, very good, and I don't think he will have a problem with longer distances based on what he has done so far. I think he is more talented than War Pass. I think War Pass is also an exceptional individual, and I could be completely wrong about Big Brown, but it's just my prediction about who is going to end up being the better of the two at this point. They could both get injured and never meet up for all I know. Just my opinions....
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Oriental Park

He beat a field of mediocre grass horses on the dirt. Lets not give him the Derby at this point. Hes certainly never ran with anything and wont like it when he does.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Dee Tee Stables

might be tricky proving you're the number one three year old if you don't get to run in the derby....big brown, 2 starts, 2 wins. 0 graded earnings.

war pass, a dual gr 1 winner and eclipse champion. big brown better get cracking if he's going to prove how much more talented he is than the 2 yo champ and millionaire.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
might be tricky proving you're the number one three year old if you don't get to run in the derby....big brown, 2 starts, 2 wins. 0 graded earnings.

war pass, a dual gr 1 winner and eclipse champion. big brown better get cracking if he's going to prove how much more talented he is than the 2 yo champ and millionaire.
Right, looks like he's got one shot at those earnings, if they're seriously trying to get him into the field.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It seems that they have changed gears and are now going to the Florida Derby. Dutrow offered the following quote to DRF......

"We got to thinkin' and drinkin' last night, and, by the time we were done, we decided the Florida Derby would be the best option," said Dutrow, who trains Big Brown for the IEAH Stables and Paul Pompa Jr.

After reading that I don't know why I don't have complete confidence in this horse moving forward.
Still, should be an interesting race to get BB's measure. Possibles include Elysium Fields, Tomcito and Hey Byrn.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Still, should be an interesting race to get BB's measure. Possibles include Elysium Fields, Tomcito and Hey Byrn.

I agree and am looking forward to the race. One of the best things about the seeming dearth of substantial talent in the 3YOs so far is that many of these preps are going to be fun and interesting races. The Florida Derby is shaping up as the most interesting in years. A far cry from the short field High Fly beat a few years ago.

All this hooplah over Big Brown just exagerates the lack of historical perspective some people have. I would like to see a list of all the horses, over the years, that ran one or two huge races against maidens or moderate fields that fizzled out completely when faced with real challenges. Its a lot longer than the list of these types of horses that went on to major success.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Oriental Park

Does the list get smaller when its a grasshorse who beats a bunch of bad grasshorses on the dirt?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
So was Sightseek and Kelly. Martin and I had put together a big pick 6 ticket and we only included him on a backup ticket because Ateam talked us into him. I think we busted on the next leg.
Kelly and I were on fire that day!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig

Sort of the same scenario Showing Up was in prior to the Lexington. I'd be happy as a fan if Big Brown developed to be as versatile.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Does the list get smaller when its a grasshorse who beats a bunch of bad grasshorses on the dirt?
Definitely.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Of course. There's a lot to prove yet, but I think he's going to be a good one.

And you know very well what I think of IEAH.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Churchill Downs

At this point last year, Curlin had not beat much either. I think Big Brown could have trouble in the Derby because of his lack of experience. He still has a lot to prove. Let's see how things unfold in the next few months. I stand by what I said about the horse. He is a monster IMO.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Oriental Park

Comparing Big Brown to Curlin at this point is extremely premature. Big Brown has a long way to go before hes even a starter in the Derby, nonetheless mentioned in the same breath as Curlin. The general rule is good horses are supposed to beat bad horses, especially when the bad horses are taken off their surface of choice. Would Big Brown be able to replicate that effort against good dirt horses, we will see shortly. I wont be surprised at all to see an up the track finish.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

At this point last year, Curlin had WIPED OUT a decent maiden field while blowing the turn and bearing out in the stretch. But, I'll just have to take your word for it that BB is a monster. In fact, I'm going to BET OUT on the horse in the DERBY (assuming he makes it) on your opinion alone. Moreover, I'm going to elevate him to the top of list of the best horses I've ever seen run. JUST on YOUR say so. Cause YOU'RE SPECIAL. And you're the best when it comes to evaluating stock.

Now, take the rest of the day off.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
At this point last year, Curlin had WIPED OUT a decent maiden field while blowing the turn and bearing out in the stretch. But, I'll just have to take your word for it that BB is a monster. In fact, I'm going to BET OUT on the horse in the DERBY (assuming he makes it) on your opinion alone. Moreover, I'm going to elevate him to the top of list of the best horses I've ever seen run. JUST on YOUR say so. Cause YOU'RE SPECIAL. And you're the best when it comes to evaluating stock.

Now, take the rest of the day off.
That was unnecessary and uncalled for.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Yes, that was just awful. By advising you to take the afternoon off, he most assuredly implied you had done something this morning. What crust, eh?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Churchill Downs

What had Curlin done at this point last year besides beat up on a maiden field? Curlin wasn't even a starter in the Derby at this point last year either.

IMO, BB has been nothing but been super impressive. Unlike Curlin had done at this time last year, he has annihilated two fields going 1 1/16 miles and 1 mile respectively. Curlin had only annihilated one field going 7 furlongs. Curlin had not even ran as a two year old. As a two year old, BB annihilated a field of horses going 1 1/16 mile while blowing the turn a little bit.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong about BB. I guess we'll find out.

And he's not one of the best horses I have ever seen run at this point. He has to do a whole lot to come anywhere close to that list.

Last edited by kentuckyrosesinmay : 03-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
What had Curlin done at this point last year besides beat up on a maiden field? Curlin wasn't even a starter in the Derby at this point last year either.

IMO, BB has been nothing but been super impressive. Unlike Curlin had done at this time last year, he has annihilated two fields going 1 1/16 miles and 1 mile respectively. Curlin had only annihilated one field going 7 furlongs. Curlin had not even ran as a two year old. As a two year old, BB annihilated a field of horses going 1 1/16 mile while blowing the turn a little bit.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong about BB. I guess we'll find out.
Again, you all may want to make fun of her and say it's premature and stupid to compare him to Curlin but if you stop laughing for just a second, you would see that what she is saying is entirely correct. It may be hard for some of you because you have it in your mind what Curlin ended up doing. But the comparison of Big Brown's resume on March 7 of this year to Curlin's on March 7 of last year is not a silly one. Maybe I'll get laughed at now for taking the unpopular position of being on her side.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
It was pretty spot on. You should put a lid on it.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
It was pretty spot on. You should put a lid on it.