Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Goodwood

Default Derby vs. Preakness- one man's (entertaining) take

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...,2836763.story
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Let me just say this: there were confirmed running of the port-a-potties in the Derby infield this year. The legend of the Preakness infield is spreading!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Let me just say this: there were confirmed running of the port-a-potties in the Derby infield this year. The legend of the Preakness infield is spreading!
There's a reason this will be year #12 for me at the Preakness versus only two trips to the Derby... and it ain't Pimlico
Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 AM

I'm dead even on both, and I've never actually set foot in the infield of either. I do know that the "classiest" of all the Triple Crown crowds is easily the crowd at the Belmont.

I am going to sport a tie and a sportcoat on Saturday, yet for some reason I keep asking myself, "why?" Who the heck wears nice clothes to the Preakness?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Del Mar

To be fair the winner is easy.....Saratoga any day!

Spyder
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Steve Byk

Great Preakness coverage all around by The Sun... Anyone catch the link to today's piece by Sandra McKee that speculates on Chris Dragone getting jettisoned by MJC after the Preakness? Magna... amazing. They let go of one of the 5 best racetrack managers in the country in Lou Raffetto and give the new guy less than 6 months. Now ready to bring in a harness guy. They're hopeless.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Jerome Park

oh the preakness.... worse day to work at carolina bbq! well i cant say for sure because i've never worked the Derby.

the only bright spot is all the exposed tits.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Great Preakness coverage all around by The Sun... Anyone catch the link to today's piece by Sandra McKee that speculates on Chris Dragone getting jettisoned by MJC after the Preakness? Magna... amazing. They let go of one of the 5 best racetrack managers in the country in Lou Raffetto and give the new guy less than 6 months. Now ready to bring in a harness guy. They're hopeless.
I saw that, and was going to post it, but was too disgusted by their incompetence. What a joke.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
oh the preakness.... worse day to work at carolina bbq! well i cant say for sure because i've never worked the Derby.

the only bright spot is all the exposed tits.
The Preakness is fine. I wish I were going this year. Working Oaks and Derby Day back-to-back sucks balls.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM

You know, I've never not taken a bus to the Preakness before. This year, I'm driving on my own, and frankly, I'm ascared. I have no clue how to get there and not end up in Beirut.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:47 PM

I actually figured it wouldn't hurt to buy a parking pass this year just in case a bus fell through. Thusly, I have Rogers Avenue parking. I have no idea what this means, I just know I somehow need to find Northern Parkway in order to find the track.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I actually figured it wouldn't hurt to buy a parking pass this year just in case a bus fell through. Thusly, I have Rogers Avenue parking. I have no idea what this means, I just know I somehow need to find Northern Parkway in order to find the track.
I usually go I-83 to Northern Parkway (west), then continue on to Rogers Ave, you'll pass the hospital that Cardus is referring to. There's usually a sh!tload of kids waiting to get into the infield there. It's actually pretty easy but a lot of traffic. If you can, park at a light rail stop (either Timonium in the north or Linthicum in the south are best) and take that, it's a lot easier.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I'm in the general DC area. I'm also staying in Baltimore for the night, so I am thinking driving is still probably the best answer.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Hialeah Park

I parked near the hospital last year for free. Either Cylburn Ave or W Garrison St. Really not that bad of a neighborhood over there unless you're a sheltered suburbanite. Short walk to the track although depending on where you are sitting you might have to go all the way around. Afterwards you can cut up from there to W Cold Spring Lane and get right on 83 to get in the Inner Harbor area. I avoided all traffic that way. Personally I'd rather walk a bit than be stuck in a traffic jam.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM

I thought I had discovered the mother of all traffic james at Pimlico back in 2005 until I tried to get out of Papa John's Stadium a couple weeks ago in L-ville. There's one side of Papa John's that is wicked easy to leave after the Derby, and then there's the other side. I'd suggest parking in the lot closer to the stadium than across the road.