Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I'm not interested in the chart. I watched the race, and particularly the start, quite a few times. Nobody got "crushed." Hyperbole is a dangerous thing.

If people rely on the chart comments in KY for their wagering decisions, they are broke.
Well....
You asked for me "to point out one horse that even steadied hard".
I gave you six.
Far from hyperbole.........all I did was point out the facts.
Considering you watched the race,I'm quite surprised you can't see the obvious.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Well....
You asked for me "to point out one horse that even steadied hard".
I gave you six.
Far from hyperbole.........all I did was point out the facts.
Considering you watched the race,I'm quite surprised you can't see the obvious.
No, you quoted a chart. I watched the race. Nobody got "crushed." There was some bumping. It's a 20 horse field going 1 1/4. All things considered, there wasn't a significant amount of trouble.

What hurt Classic Empire most about the bumping was that it cost him position, something that was very valuable in this particular race. Couple that with him being forced to rally wide, and there's a more than reasonable argument that he ran the second best race.

IMO, it's best to focus on what actually happened, and how it may have affected the horses involved. Horses have trouble all the time that ultimately proves irrelevant.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
No, you quoted a chart. I watched the race. Nobody got "crushed." There was some bumping. It's a 20 horse field going 1 1/4. All things considered, there wasn't a significant amount of trouble.

What hurt Classic Empire most about the bumping was that it cost him position, something that was very valuable in this particular race. Couple that with him being forced to rally wide, and there's a more than reasonable argument that he ran the second best race.

IMO, it's best to focus on what actually happened, and how it may have affected the horses involved. Horses have trouble all the time that ultimately proves irrelevant.
Everybody watched the race........come on.
And everybody saw with their own eyes the bumper car chain reaction caused by IWC.
I just presented the chart and some of the quotes because they were accurate.
When word(s) such as "victim of the melee"/"hammered off stride"/"steadied out of the jam up"/"forced in and jostled"/"was jostled hard soon after the start"/"forced into tight quarters" appear,they are used because that's what actually happened..
And please spare me the cheap shot on the Kentucky chart callers trying to justify your mistaken view of the race.........they are skilled/trained professionals who do an outstanding job day in and day out.
Look,I'm sure you're a decent sort............but man you got this one wrong.

Last edited by taxicab : 05-12-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I feel so much better.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Everybody watched the race........come on.
And everybody saw with their own eyes the bumper car chain reaction caused by IWC.
I just presented the chart and some of the quotes because they were accurate.
When word(s) such as "victim of the melee"/"hammered off stride"/"steadied out of the jam up"/"forced in and jostled"/"was jostled hard soon after the start"/"forced into tight quarters" appear,they are used because that's what actually happened..
And please spare me the cheap shot on the Kentucky chart callers trying to justify your mistaken view of the race.........they are skilled/trained professionals who do an outstanding job day in and day out.
Sometimes horses get in trouble in races and it actual works to their advantage. So just saying or in this case repeating that a horse was subject to trouble only matters if it adversely effected the horses chances to get to the rail and or lead. Just repeating a chart can be dangerous, Oh and the paid professional line is a real dussy.. The kid working the Fryolator at DQ is also a professional
Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I'm not interested in the chart. I watched the race, and particularly the start, quite a few times. Nobody got "crushed." Hyperbole is a dangerous thing.

If people rely on the chart comments in KY for their wagering decisions, they are broke.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quick look at the field, feels like a pretty paceless race...should be much slower pace than derby.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Sometimes horses get in trouble in races and it actual works to their advantage. So just saying or in this case repeating that a horse was subject to trouble only matters if it adversely effected the horses chances to get to the rail and or lead. Just repeating a chart can be dangerous, Oh and the paid professional line is a real dussy.. The kid working the Fryolator at DQ is also a professional
Again with the chart talk ?
What went on during the initial stages was in plain view and everybody saw it.
I mentioned that I used the chart because it was convenient(and accurate).

From post #220,I explained that I didn't even look at the chart until last night after BTW post(#219):
FYI......I didn't look at the chart of this race until after your post because I thought the demolition derby at the beginning of the race was obvious

BTW.....I don't think the connections of Classic Empire or McCraken think your theory about trouble sometimes helping a horse out in a race applies in this instance.
But don't take my word for it by any means.

John Oxley's Classic Empire, fourth in the Kentucky Derby after a horrendous start and trip

Casse said Classic Empire was “wiped out” at the start of the race as he emerged from the gate,

“I watched the replay a couple of times yesterday,” Casse said. Honestly, I think our horse probably got more respect out of that performance (from) anyone who really watched the race, because he overcame a lot just to finish fourth. I'm proud of him, and look forward to trying Always Dreaming again.

“Classic Empire is very fast. Our intentions were to be up laying close to the pace. In fact, I told Julien that I'd love to be able to get up and get over. Because I thought there was definitely an advantage to being inside. And 100 yards out of the gate, it was pretty well over, I thought.

“And then (Sunday) Classic Empire could hardly open his eye. I don't know when that occurred, whether with all the bumping. First thing Julien said to me was, ‘I don't know how we didn't go down.' He said he really got hit hard. Anybody who has ever had the wind knocked out of him, you have to wonder about that as well.' He has about four or five abrasions on his right front — one was pretty close to needing stitches.

The juvenile champion did return to the barn with several superficial cuts, likely from the intense bumping at the start, as well as a swollen right eye. Mark Casse reported that the recovery of Classic Empire's eye would be a large factor in determining a Preakness try.

McCRAKEN (8th) – Trainer Ian Wilkes said that Whitham Thoroughbreds' McCraken came out of the Kentucky Derby with a puncture on his left hind leg, but otherwise was none the worse for wear Sunday morning.

“He just walked this morning,” said Wilkes, who normally jogs his horses a day after a race or work. [I]“I didn't want to risk the chance of infection.”[/i]
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
I feel so much better.
I took it easy on you.
You're welcome.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:37 PM
The Curragh

Timeline in the Belmont will be the wiseguy horse for sure
Old 05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
Im a fan, but today didnt prove much.

American Anthem could be a big time sprinter.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Im a fan, but today didnt prove much.

American Anthem could be a big time sprinter.

nah, think he beat a really bad field and got a very good ride....he can definitely pick up checks against the 2nd group of 3yo sprinters.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
nah, think he beat a really bad field and got a very good ride....he can definitely pick up checks against the 2nd group of 3yo sprinters.
He tripped out for sure, but horses like him with natural speed will make the trip. The runner up has a big race at 7f and got a big pace to run into and couldnt get him. I thought he was OK today.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:24 AM
Ellis Park

Emerging sires really on display in the Preakness this year.....
Bodemeister: Always Dreaming
Pioneer of the Nile: Classic Empire
Uncle Mo: Conquest Mo Money/Royal Mo
Dialed In: Gunnevera
Lookin At Lucky: Lookin At Lee

I'd say the Preakness is a pretty good calling card for Empire Maker also.
He's the sire of Bodemeister and Pioneer of the Nile.
I guess that's how you become a "sire of sires"........I suspect EM stud fee is going to crack 100k for 2018(currently 85k).

Last edited by taxicab : 05-14-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Not likely to run in Belmont. Per Chad Brown in Bloodhorse:

""I'll speak to Bill Farish, who manages this horse, and we'll go from there. We had spoken earlier in the day that if we had some success here, the Haskell (G1) is a race that we have a lot of interest in, with maybe one race between now and then," Brown said of the colt's near future. "He doesn't strike me as a mile-and-a-half horse, but I'm not going to declare him out of the (Belmont Stakes). I'll discuss that with Mr. Farish, but that wasn't really my plan going in here. We're still in the developmental stage with this horse."
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Steve Byk

Royal Mo injured during his work. Transported to New Bolton.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Steve Byk

Gary Stevens: Royal Mo has fractured sesamoid, headed to New Bolton
Jay Privman

Royal Mo fractured a sesamoid bone in his right front ankle when working at Pimlico Race Course this morning in preparation for the Preakness Stakes next Saturday and is currently en route to New Bolton Center in Pennsylvania, according to Gary Stevens, the Hall of Fame jockey who was aboard Royal Mo for the workout.

According to Stevens, the fracture is non-displaced but will be career-ending.

"He won't run again, but he'll make a good daddy," Stevens, reached by telephone, said of the son of Uncle Mo.

Stevens was working Royal Mo five furlongs in company when the incident happened near the quarter pole.

"Luckily I had a stranglehold on him. He was just rattling off 12s. He was going to go in a minute," Stevens said. "I was thinking about how much I was going to let him gallop out. And then I heard a loud pop. I was hoping he had just overreached, but that wasn't it.

"He was relishing the track. The track had a good bottom. The track had nothing to do with it. He was on cruise control."

Stevens said Royal Mo had ankle wraps on his ankles and that those bandages, affixed by the groom, helped prevent further damage.

New Bolton is where Barbaro was treated for a hind leg fracture after he broke down in the 2006 Preakness. Stevens said trainer John Shirreffs was on the van taking Royal Mo to New Bolton.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
A.D. is going to smoke this field.
unless it comes up muddy again, he will be hot and dirty. Would have been nice if Someone mentioned he had a good mud foot . One would think with all the people there, that someone would have noticed. I guess you don't notice unless you put your racing form or iPad down once in a while and look at the hosses.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 PM
The Curragh

barring something unforseen or a freak performance by Classic Empire, AD will have a chance for a Triple Crown..wow
Old 05-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
barring something unforseen or a freak performance by Classic Empire, AD will have a chance for a Triple Crown..wow
Long way to go my friend