Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
The Curragh

Default The Departed and The Guardian

The Departed - I "attempted" to watch this movie last night. This is the first Martin Scorsese film I did not like. I could not even follow it half the time. For one thing, Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg look very similar in this film. My biggest comlpaint, and the reason I did not even watch the whole film was it just kept jumping around and was hard to follow.

The Guardian was a very pleasent surprise. Great film, great action scenes and a cool story line. The ending was not a surprise, but the action scenes more then made up for that. They did a good bit of the filming for this at the Bering Sea.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
The Departed - I "attempted" to watch this movie last night. This is the first Martin Scorsese film I did not like. I could not even follow it half the time. For one thing, Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg look very similar in this film. My biggest comlpaint, and the reason I did not even watch the whole film was it just kept jumping around and was hard to follow.

If you were confused by Damon and Wahlberg you would really have a tough time with the original movie " Infernal Affairs ". It's terrific, but it is also extremely tough to follow who's who unless you are familiar with the different asian actors.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Del Mar

How can you confuse Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon in this or any movie? Were you drunk? I thought it was very good, I call it Goodfellas with cell phones. So it wasnt nearly as great as Goodfellas but nothing of this kind of film will ever be. I wanted Leo to live but you cant have everything. Hes a really good actor as is Matt Damon (especially when he plays someone from Boston). I dont really care for Jack Nicholson all that much but he was good too.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Idlewild Airport

The Departed was my favortie movie of 2006. Surprised you didn't like it. I'm looking to rent the Asian version as I've also heard good things about that one and don't mind subtitles.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
How can you confuse Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon in this or any movie? Were you drunk? I thought it was very good, I call it Goodfellas with cell phones. So it wasnt nearly as great as Goodfellas but nothing of this kind of film will ever be. I wanted Leo to live but you cant have everything. Hes a really good actor as is Matt Damon (especially when he plays someone from Boston). I dont really care for Jack Nicholson all that much but he was good too.
Darn it...I wish I hadn't read this before seeing the movie....
Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Del Mar

The only movie I saw in 2006 I liked better was Blood Diamond. Leo is far and away my favorite actor. The guy can do anything and I really enjoy watching him on screen.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Coach Pants

Oh sonofabitch. I knew I shouldn't of read this thread.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Del Mar

Sorry Sightseek, my bad. One thing about this movie, if you are offended by strong violence, its not for you anyways. I would say it worse than Goodfellas in that respect.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
The only movie I saw in 2006 I liked better was Blood Diamond. Leo is far and away my favorite actor. The guy can do anything and I really enjoy watching him on screen.
And if you are a chick he is deliciously yummy.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Del Mar

Now that I have ruined everybody's day, I will get out of here. Have a great day and sorry about the movie. I should have known better.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Flemington

Quote:

Sorry Sightseek, my bad. One thing about this movie, if you are offended by strong violence, its not for you anyways. I would say it worse than Goodfellas in that respect.
That's OK, I'll probably still watch it eventually.

The only movie that has ever bothered me with violence was Pans Labrynth...I don't know what it was about that movie because I've certainly seen more violent, but the Captain really scared me to death.

We've watched tons of movies lately, but one that I thought really deserves a watch is Das Boot. Whatever you do though, don't watch the English talk-over version, destroys the movie. Life is Beautiful is probably the only movie that I thought got better by not reading the subtitles because the dialog is so quick.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Thumbs up The Departed......

May not win Best Picture at Sunday's Oscars, but it is the best film I saw in 2006. Superb acting by the entire cast, with the exception of Vera Farmiga, who's character I feel could have been written a little sharper. Your entitled to your opinion, I feel though it wasn't hard to follow at all. The film is 3 hours long, and It was so amazing, I wanted it to be longer!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:37 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I had a slight buzz, but it was from way too much food intake topped with popcorn and green grapes and a nice cigar (what a combination).