Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Sanjaya is in the TOP FOUR GUYS?!?!?!?!?

Antonella got by on looks this week, but won't make it much further.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer

Agreed about Antonella, she's beautiful. Might make it on looks a little farther than you think. As far as Sanjaya,they said he was in the top 4 in votes for the guys. There must be a lot of Indian teenyboppers watching the show. If that is the case this kid could be around for a while!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Sanjaya got the sympathy vote because the judges were so hard on him.

Antonella better go home before some of the other girls or I will be very angry.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Agreed about Antonella, she's beautiful. Might make it on looks a little farther than you think. As far as Sanjaya,they said he was in the top 4 in votes for the guys. There must be a lot of Indian teenyboppers watching the show. If that is the case this kid could be around for a while!
My roommates and I talked about this one last night.

There may be a few reasons Sanjaya is in the top four guys. He's young, and we've seen in past seasons that young teenagers can get far just based on the high school vote, and they get the sympathy vote because they aren't that experienced. The Indian population watching Idol has nobody else to love (not saying that everyone just votes based on ethnicity, but it's rare for someone of Indian descent to make it this far, really).

I also think he's getting some of the repressed homosexual vote. Kid is gayer than a Liberace museum and there aren't clear reads on anyone else in the competition. Just like the Indian population, gays may be voting for their own (not me, though, I value musical talent and good looks too highly to vote for him!)

Antonella makes me swoon, but she was just AWFUL.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
My roommates and I talked about this one last night.

There may be a few reasons Sanjaya is in the top four guys. He's young, and we've seen in past seasons that young teenagers can get far just based on the high school vote, and they get the sympathy vote because they aren't that experienced. The Indian population watching Idol has nobody else to love (not saying that everyone just votes based on ethnicity, but it's rare for someone of Indian descent to make it this far, really).

I also think he's getting some of the repressed homosexual vote. Kid is gayer than a Liberace museum and there aren't clear reads on anyone else in the competition. Just like the Indian population, gays may be voting for their own (not me, though, I value musical talent and good looks too highly to vote for him!)

Antonella makes me swoon, but she was just AWFUL.
I do think alot of people do vote because of ethnicity or lets say demographics. What I mean is if I was a 17 years old teenage boy I would be doing everything I can to make sure Antonella and Alaina are back every week. Do you really think a 17 year old cares about a singing competition? Hell no, they will watch because ther are hot girls. That's why I think that Nick guy will go far. He will get the teeny girl vote. It is a singing contest, but early on it is treated like a beauty contest. Look how far Kelly Pickler made it the year before. She was very pretty, but she was not a good singer. Don't forget that there is also a group of poeple out there that purposely vote for the WORST people. I think that they might even have their own web-site. They try to make a mockery of the show. Look how far that kid John Stevens got that year, he was the worst. So if they go with Sanjaya watch out, the kid could have the votes to go far.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Monmouth Park

I admit it, we watch it faithfully....but we (or at least I don't) watch the stupid audition stuff. The only two guys that I think have any talent at all, is the beat boxer from Seattle and the guy with the bushy hair and glasses. (sorry, haven't learned the names yet) Outside of those two, there were probably 9 girls that were better than any of the boys.....I'm interested to see what this "new" twist is this year. Supposedly at the midway point there is going to be some new twist that is going to turn things upside down..I saw some talk show the other night and they were trying to figure out what it was going to be and the thought was bring back people from other seasons.