Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Goodwood

Congaree wasn't good enough to overcome the 125/1 I got him for in the Derby future book right after he broke his maiden.

Awesome horse though. His derby was one of the most impressive losing performances I remember ever seeing.

I think Macho Uno was a much better horse than most people realize too. He seemed to have some mental issues, but I seem to remember that his trainer was insanely cold for about 2-3 years and finally got fired for not being able to win anything with a lot of nice stock.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
As for Vindication .. he's in the discussion for the 3rd or 4th spot.
I think I would have him in the top 4, but I am especially surprised to see YOU give the nod to Street Sense over Vindication given your often-stated low opinion of Street Sense.
His races at AP as a 2yo were fairly unimpressive, and though he ran a very good race in a 3rd place effort at Keeneland on a surface he never liked, his CD race was the only truly superb effort of his season in my opinion.
I'd take Vindication's four races as a 2yo over Street Sense's four races.

Good list though DrugS. It makes for some good conversation.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I think I would have him in the top 4, but I am especially surprised to see YOU give the nod to Street Sense over Vindication given your often-stated low opinion of Street Sense.
His races at AP as a 2yo were fairly unimpressive, and though he ran a very good race in a 3rd place effort at Keeneland on a surface he never liked, his CD race was the only truly superb effort of his season in my opinion.
I'd take Vindication's four races as a 2yo over Street Sense's four races.

Good list though DrugS. It makes for some good conversation.
If you had to ask him who the most overrated horse of the last 15 years is, and you forced him into giving an answer, he'd almost certainly tell you Vindication.

He was the president of the anti Vindy fan club. He disliked that horse like PG1985 loves Giant's Causeway. It was almost pathological.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Congaree wasn't good enough to overcome the 125/1 I got him for in the Derby future book right after he broke his maiden.

Awesome horse though. His derby was one of the most impressive losing performances I remember ever seeing.

I think Macho Uno was a much better horse than most people realize too. He seemed to have some mental issues, but I seem to remember that his trainer was insanely cold for about 2-3 years and finally got fired for not being able to win anything with a lot of nice stock.
He had my weight of my future book bet as well. Was my first trip to Vegas and I was determined to bet a real KY Derby futures bet (not the parimutuel crap Churchill offers) and it was the weekend Drugs mentioned, where he won an N1X only a tick slower than Point Given- I think that was the race now known as the Robert Lewis(?) Was like 50-1 or something. Still, he ran amazing in that Derby to have the lead at the 3/16ths pole. He was an awesome horse. Too bad he sucks as a sire.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Goodwood

Yeah, I was expecting a bit more from Congaree as a sire. Usually horses with his running style and quality are great sire candidates.

Much like his own sire!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
His victory over Sun King that you mentioned came before the BC. If you read my post, you'll see that I said he was dominant after the BC (that is what "subsequent" means). Perhaps "dominance" was not the best choice of words, but I do consider his post-BC performances to be extremely impressive in that he overcame an outrageously bad trip in the Donn, and then ran a very fast race in the DWC.

Congaree was certainly a very good horse who flashed brilliance at times in his career. He also threw in his share of clunkers. On a list of this nature,the consistency of a horse like Invasor puts him ahead of a horse like Congaree in my book.
Have to agree with Invasor. The only blemish on his record was a 3rd in the Dubai Derby which was followed by 6 straight G1 wins..Pim Special, Suburban, Woodward, BCC, Donn, and DWC.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper
Have to agree with Invasor. The only blemish on his record was a 3rd in the Dubai Derby which was followed by 6 straight G1 wins..Pim Special, Suburban, Woodward, BCC, Donn, and DWC.
I think that if Congaree or M D'Oro ran against the same horses they would likely have 6 straight G1 wins too. Their records don't look as good on paper, but in reality I really do think they are better horses.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Absolutely War Pass was the best.

I wasn't a big fan of his going into his 3-year-old season .. but that was more because I didn't like the way he projected as a triple crown series prospect.

However, it would be extremely foolish to deny him the honor of decades top 2yo. I think he's one of the easiest choices.

He was undefeated, his win in the Champagne was sizzlingly fast. He won the Breeders Cup Juvenile in 1:42.67 - Indian Blessing needed 1:44.73 to soundly defeat Proud Spell that same day.

Respectable precocious middle distance horses like Kodiak Kowboy and Tale of Ekati ran 3rd and 4th .. beaten 16.75 lengths and 17.50 lengths .. in an 11 horse field.

Just a mind boggling performance against the clock. War Pass's 113 Beyer that day was higher than the 112 Beyer Hard Spun ran for finishing 2nd in the BC Classic that day .. both races used the exact same variant.

As for Vindication .. he's in the discussion for the 3rd or 4th spot.

Like War Pass, he was also 4-for-4 at two, and with two stakes wins. He won the Grade 3 Ky Cup Juvenile over a terrible field in very slow fashion - but had to overcome some trouble.

In the Breeders Cup Juvie ... Vindication had a great trip and needed 1:49.61 to score. By comparison, Storm Flag Flying won the Juv Fillies by a half length in final time of 1:49.60 - Hold That Tiger ran 3rd by 5 lengths to Vindy - but had an extremely tough trip.

I think Toccet had a good case to steal the Eclipse from Vindication. He won 4 Graded Stakes as a 2yo at or beyond a mile. He took the Champagne, Laurel Futurity, won the Remsen over Empire Maker, and beat Kafwain in the Hollywood Futurity. He was a complete no show in the BC Juvie though - basically fading after a few furlongs.
Solid points, but I still see War Pass as a one-race wonder. His Champagne was a fine effort, but Pyro didn't exactly come back to light things up at three. Nor did Z Humor, Ready's Image or Majestic Warrior.

I also think Declan's Moon should be mentioned, though he always was overlooked for skipping the BC.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Flemington

Quote:
If you had to ask him who the most overrated horse of the last 15 years is, and you forced him into giving an answer, he'd almost certainly tell you Vindication.

He was the president of the anti Vindy fan club. He disliked that horse like PG1985 loves Giant's Causeway. It was almost pathological.
At that time ... there were a lot of silly people talking about Vindication like he was an all-time great horse.

I was one of the people who thought Toccet was slightly more deserving of the Eclipse ... but I knew he wasn't getting it .. as an extreme emphasis is placed on the BC Juvie result.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
At that time ... there were a lot of silly people talking about Vindication like he was an all-time great horse.

I was one of the people who thought Toccet was slightly more deserving of the Eclipse ... but I knew he wasn't getting it .. as an extreme emphasis is placed on the BC Juvie result.
Aren't you guilty of putting an "extreme emphasis" on the BC Juvie by including Street Sense in the top four?
Good point about Toccet. He was a very good 2yo. I would probably put him above Street Sense as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Aren't YOU putting an "extreme emphasis" on the BC Juvie by including Street Sense in the top four?
I think its the way he won and what was behind him.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
I think its the way he won and what was behind him.
What was behind him? Circular Quay, Great Hunter, Scat Daddy, Stormello, C P West, U D Ghetto, King of the Roxy, Skip Code, Teuflesberg, Pegasus Wind, Malt Magic, Got the Last Laugh and Principle Secret?

Real murderers' row right there..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
What was behind him? Circular Quay, Great Hunter, Scat Daddy, Stormello, C P West, U D Ghetto, King of the Roxy, Skip Code, Teuflesberg, Pegasus Wind, Malt Magic, Got the Last Laugh and Principle Secret?

I was just going to post that, I know at least three of those horses have started for a tag since that race.

The best of that crop was not in the field. I should stop though because I am a noted SS hater.

NT
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

I basically agree with your point, but Circular Quay was a pretty good 2yo (not to mention the key horse for most of my big horizontal and vertical wagers that day at CD )
Old 12-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I basically agree with your point, but Circular Quay was a pretty good 2yo (not to mention the key horse for most of my big horizontal and vertical wagers that day at CD )
I was a big fan of his, and was extremely disappointed with his three and four-year-old seasons. If they had kept him around one turn I think he might've turned out to be more than he was.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Solid points, but I still see War Pass as a one-race wonder. His Champagne was a fine effort, but Pyro didn't exactly come back to light things up at three. Nor did Z Humor, Ready's Image or Majestic Warrior.

I also think Declan's Moon should be mentioned, though he always was overlooked for skipping the BC.
I agree that Declan's Moon is in the mix for the 4th spot.

A lot of excellent 2-year-olds come back and flop at 3. Just as some very moderate 2-year-olds will bloom into sensational 3yos and older horses.

Go back and read the press clippings about Pyro's 3yo return race... they might seem laughable now ... but he did run a really great race in his 3yo return.

War Pass might have been moved up a lot by the slop .. but his Champagne was still gigantic - and he just crushed in every race. The 3yo version of him was a total cripple.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Aren't you guilty of putting an "extreme emphasis" on the BC Juvie by including Street Sense in the top four?
Good point about Toccet. He was a very good 2yo. I would probably put him above Street Sense as well.
Yes - but Street Sense's Juvie win was gigantic ... and maybe he got the 4th spot because I didn't want it to appear like I had some personal bias against him. Which I don't.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I was a big fan of his, and was extremely disappointed with his three and four-year-old seasons. If they had kept him around one turn I think he might've turned out to be more than he was.
I always really liked CQ as well. He certainly had one of the most talked about debut races in the history of this board (back in the days of oracle).
Found it: http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...=circular+quay
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I always really liked CQ as well. He certainly had one of the most talked about debut races in the history of this board (back in the days of oracle).
I liked him too, and he didn't turn out to be a complete disaster, just not what was expected. At least he found the Fair Grounds quite agreeable.

NT
Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
...said the Pot.