Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Hollywood Park

Default 11/11 ATR: The Great HOTY Debate

I love hearing you get so passionate, Steve.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Santa Anita

That caller "John" got my blood pressure going too. Unbelievable. Of course he's entitled to his opinion, but that last bit about the result being the same no matter who Zenyatta faced on whatever surface -- absurd.

Would that have worked with other horses? "I mean, take out Gio Ponte and substitute Secretariat...what's the big deal?"
Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Steve Byk

It's rather remarkable how a singular performance can somehow promote complete abandonment of rationality. Zenyatta's performance was terrific... But take it for what it was, where it was and who it came against. How it magically elevates her 'year' to equal or beyond that of Rachel Alexandra's defies logic or cognition.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
It's rather remarkable how a singular performance can somehow promote complete abandonment of rationality. Zenyatta's performance was terrific... But take it for what it was, where it was and who it came against. How it magically elevates her 'year' to equal or beyond that of Rachel Alexandra's defies logic or cognition.
Pretty astounding isn't it....
Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:

But horse racing is not logical. If it were then the favorites would win every horse race and we would not have the need for betting. I find it odd that people are trying to put HOY into such a logical box. It could be compared to MVP voting in other sports in that the statistical leaders do not always win MVP and there is always the debate of what "valuable" means.

I do not think there is a definition of HOY just as there is not a definition of MVP. Both horses are great choices of HOY and the choice does not have to be logical. There is subjectivity involved in which horse will win HOY and people will say that Zenyatta's "moment" was more powerful than RA and that is OK.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycat
But horse racing is not logical. If it were then the favorites would win every horse race and we would not have the need for betting. I find it odd that people are trying to put HOY into such a logical box. It could be compared to MVP voting in other sports in that the statistical leaders do not always win MVP and there is always the debate of what "valuable" means.

I do not think there is a definition of HOY just as there is not a definition of MVP. Both horses are great choices of HOY and the choice does not have to be logical. There is subjectivity involved in which horse will win HOY and people will say that Zenyatta's "moment" was more powerful than RA and that is OK.
WTF......Objectivity is how we are to judge. Subjective means Well Armed's Dubai World Cup, the richest race in the world), should make him HOY.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
WTF......Objectivity is how we are to judge. Subjective means Well Armed's Dubai World Cup, the richest race in the world), should make him HOY.
I doubt Trevor Denman will ever say this about the girls:

"She’s run another clunker"

Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Nothing like Byk on target.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:

Perhaps we should beg for a new eclipse award Horse of the Moment..
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Perhaps we should beg for a new eclipse award Horse of the Moment..
I like that idea....Black Beauty for me.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

There's already an ESPY for this.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
There's already an ESPY for this.
Best Performance By A Mare On Carpet Fibers----handed out by Pollard's Vision disciple Stewart Scott.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Best Performance By A Mare On Carpet Fibers----handed out by Pollard's Vision disciple Stewart Scott.
I think dissing Zenyatta is just as silly as calliing her HOY. She is a great mare and deserves a lot of credit for a wonderful career. It isn't the mares fault that her connections precluded her from racing in NY against competition befitting her abilty. It is what it is lets move on to Rachel and her 4 year old campaign.

Imagine if we didn't have the mare and the filly Summer Slop would have been racings star. While he is OK UGH
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Idlewild Airport

Actually I wasn't dissing her at all. She is great. She isn't horse of the year.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
With all due respect, I think it is statements like this that prompt the emotion that you have seen in the debate on this board. People don't like being told that they are "irrational" or without cognitive ability just because they have a different opinion.

Agree to disagree. Fine. Don't tell someone that they are stupid.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'm just really hoping Rachel Alexandra does turn into Ashado next year. I can recall watching Ashado get run down in the slop by Silmaril on the undercard of Funny Cide's unfortunate effort in the 2005 Pimlico Special. I can recall to this day a lady disconcerted with Ashado's performance coming down the stretch yelling "Come on, don't get beat by this Maryland-bred nag!"
Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
With all due respect, I think it is statements like this that prompt the emotion that you have seen in the debate on this board. People don't like being told that they are "irrational" or without cognitive ability just because they have a different opinion.

Agree to disagree. Fine. Don't tell someone that they are stupid.
Just because someone doesn't have strong cognitive abilty doesnt mean they are stupid nor would Byk call anyone stupid. It isn't irrational to call Zenyatta HoY it's just iirresponsible to the award.

It was a wonderful moment in racing when a classy terrific mare beat an ok field of colts and horses. She wasn't campaigned for HoY she was pointed to win the Classsic. Congrats she was awesome and thrilled all
Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
There is a definition of Horse of the Year. It's the horse that accomplished the most over the course of their season. There may be tangential influences, but the race record compiled and gravity thereof remains the overwhelming criteria. There is no possible interpretation of their comparative seasons that places Zenyatta even at a level of equality with Rachel Alexandra in 2009.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Steve Byk

For those wanting some detail to appreciate the nuances of the campaigns...

Zenyatta ran in 5 races this year over 7 months (May 23-Nov 7) over 3 racetracks versus 33 entrants (25 horses)... 4 of which were repeats of races she ran in and won last year (Milady, Vanity, Hirsch, Lady's Secret) and one the Breeders' Cup Classic. She never left California in the 4 races and the Cup happened to be at one of the tracks she frequented most in her career (5/5). Anyway, she won all the races in which she ran, all on synthetic surfaces, and with authority.

Rachel Alexandra ran in 8 races this year over 7 months (Feb 15-Sept 5) over 7 different race tracks versus 50 entrants (47 horses). She demolished her own sex by a cumulative 40 lengths in 5 tries including 2 Oaks (Fair Grounds and Kentucky) and faced 3yo males twice, including in an American classic (Preakness) and in another highly regarded Gr. I (Haskell). She completed her year against older males in the Gr. I Woodward. Her winning a race versus elder males is an accomplishment that hadn't been done in more than 125 years in American racing.

Zenyatta beat these 25 horses in 2009:

---14 females---
Life Is Sweet (3X)
Allicansayiswow (2X)
Gambler's Justice
Champagne Eyes (2X)
Taste's Sis
Briecat (2X)
Dawn After Dawn (2X)
Hot n' Dusty
Modification
Anabaas Creation (2X)