Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Can you really make money in this game ?

I really dont think that you can. Its such a hard game to win money on, i go for a day at stimucast and handicap 3-4 tracks all day catch a couple big hits and at the end of the day still finish down. Its so hard to win over the long run betting horses...i feel the only way i win is if i spot play 1 maybe to races a day, bet them and thats it. I find it so hard to go to otb with my buddies and bet for a whole day and finish up.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Del Mar

Read "Six Secrets of Successful Bettors" from DRF Press. It totally changed my outlook on the game. . .
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Read "Six Secrets of Successful Bettors" from DRF Press. It totally changed my outlook on the game. . .
Frank? Will you autograph a copy if I send it?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Gulfstream Park

thanks i just orderd the book will be here in 3 days... i will read it as soon as it arrives
Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Del Mar

Funny, Pillow. . .
Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Frank? Will you autograph a copy if I send it?
LMAO... oh lord.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Flemington

I think you can,but you have to ONLY bet when certain conditions exist.Many of us(including myself) rely on horses with mediocre( or bad) trainers.If I look back at who anchored my last 3 nice multi-race wins(Biancone,Canani,and Zucker,) and compare them to (the trainers of) my last 3 close calls,then I can see where some editing could have been done.It is a matter of entertainment value versus making money.I can tell you that the average trainers (even when they have the best horse)often run 2nd-4th.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Del Mar

Something to remember is the amount of money you lose is more important than the amount of money you win. If you play this game there will be days where you finish down and you need to 1) Accept this for certainty that you will have crummy days and 2) Avoid chasing money that you lose. I do it all the time, I'll be down a few hundred and play a race I normally wouldnt play just to try and get even for the day. Thats how you get yourself in trouble, take it from somebody with more experience on the subject than most on here.

If you cant take the losses and going home feeling like a worthless loser, than stop playing this game and get another vice.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTGIVEN1985
I really dont think that you can. Its such a hard game to win money on, i go for a day at stimucast and handicap 3-4 tracks all day catch a couple big hits and at the end of the day still finish down. Its so hard to win over the long run betting horses...i feel the only way i win is if i spot play 1 maybe to races a day, bet them and thats it. I find it so hard to go to otb with my buddies and bet for a whole day and finish up.

I'm no expert, but I try my best to limit my plays.. For me, betting on dozens of races at several different tracks is usually a recipe for disaster. So, I focus on the few races I really want to bet. If I really can't help it and want to play other races, I'll use a 'smaller' fund set aside for that, otherwise the bulk of my 'investments' will be for the main race(s) I want to bet.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
The Curragh

Here's an idea. Go to the track with no $ except for your bank card. Get as drunk as you possibly can so the next day you can't remember how many times you actually hit the ATM. No matter how much you bring home, it seems reasonable the next morning.

However, this only works if you purposely don't pay attention to bank statements and/or your wife doesn't know what's going on either.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
WillSmith

<snip> i go for a day at stimucast and handicap 3-4 tracks all day<snip>

bet one track ( two at most ), follow trainers, jockeys, patterns, and play the horizontal wagers.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 PM
The Curragh

in my humble opinion the key is to focus your attention and betting dollar on no more then 2 meets. with time, patience and some smart money management skills you should find yourself having a good time. betting strategy is CRUCIAL. exotic bets, etc etc. For me, I roll with betting to win and place, pick 3's and the occasional pick 4.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I play for the action. I have accepted that. I win this week next week I lose
a total wash

then I lose , lose, lose... time to take a break

I only get down on myself when I save money and it ends up costing me thousands.

Seems like the only time I make money is when I go through all the races. Bet the 10 or 20 I like and go home.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Oaklawn

Yes you can end up with a small fortune in this game, but you have to start with a very large fortune and know when to quit.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Something to remember is the amount of money you lose is more important than the amount of money you win. If you play this game there will be days where you finish down and you need to 1) Accept this for certainty that you will have crummy days and 2) Avoid chasing money that you lose. I do it all the time, I'll be down a few hundred and play a race I normally wouldnt play just to try and get even for the day. Thats how you get yourself in trouble, take it from somebody with more experience on the subject than most on here.

If you cant take the losses and going home feeling like a worthless loser, than stop playing this game and get another vice.
Well said, Tim. That's the best advice that's come along.
Just a little story...
At Finger Lakes there were two retired gentlemen. I saw them just sit and watch. They paid attention.
I only saw them go to the window about three times. I don't know how much they bet, but I do know they cashed each time.
The key word is "patience".
Never bet "stupid".
Watch and wait.
It's very hard for me to do also, but if one wants to make money rather than
"entertainment", their approach might be the best way.
Just my two pennies.
DTS
Old 02-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Yes you can end up with a small fortune in this game, but you have to start with a very large fortune and know when to quit.

I enjoyed that a lot

my sides hurt
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 PM
SteelKrtan

Here's my trick One bet a week study all form & go to trials ,decide which is your best bet for the week,dont let how much it is the paying influence you, place $100 on the nose if it wins split half into a tin spend other half taking family out to dinner. If loses go back to work & repeat each week for 3 months, Open tin at end & take yourself & family on a holiday it's a win win situation
I did it & had $8,000 in the tin so was great for a overseas holiday, placed $100 on a horse as i was going to the airport it came in paying $16 & had $1,600 when i came back which was good cause i was broke
Old 02-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
This is the best line of the thread,imo....the races are like the stockmarket..up and down.. some days you hit it good and others you're baffled....it takes alot of hard work to win consistently...as the top cappers here say...so have fun while you're learning and then proceed with caution
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Belmont Park

I'd second the notion that you limit your focus to one track. get familiar with the jocks, trainers, horses. I find it give me an etherial feel especially when playing trainer/ J/T angles.

I also find that going to the paddock and looking at the horses will help you find a diamond in the rough or an underlay that may not seem to have his heart in it. Not every race by anymeans, but a couple-three times a day on average you can pick up some hints by watching the body language of the trainers giving instructions, and most importantly the horses themselves.

The last time I was at TBD I saw a horse that looked like he was ready to beat the world. 27-1 on the tote board seemed to disagree. a 10.00 win ticket proved the horse, not the board, was right..
Conversely on the same card, I witnessed a 6-5 favorite with a peculiar foot flight. Could have been the shoes, don't know, but I knew there was something amiss. Left him out of my exacta, with what turned out to be good reason - he came in third...
Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
I'd second the notion that you limit your focus to one track. get familiar with the jocks, trainers, horses. I find it give me an etherial feel especially when playing trainer/ J/T angles.

I also find that going to the paddock and looking at the horses will help you find a diamond in the rough or an underlay that may not seem to have his heart in it. Not every race by anymeans, but a couple-three times a day on average you can pick up some hints by watching the body language of the trainers giving instructions, and most importantly the horses themselves.

The last time I was at TBD I saw a horse that looked like he was ready to beat the world. 27-1 on the tote board seemed to disagree. a 10.00 win ticket proved the horse, not the board, was right..
Conversely on the same card, I witnessed a 6-5 favorite with a peculiar foot flight. Could have been the shoes, don't know, but I knew there was something amiss. Left him out of my exacta, with what turned out to be good reason - he came in third...
i ate up md racing for years-had that down to a tee--bad thing was, i wasn't able to bet. lol

just wish i had the time now that i had then.