Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Silver Charm's Derby dogfight putting away Freehouse and holding off Captain Bodgit at the wire.

Silverbulletday's Oaks wasn't the most exciting race competitively, but the way she responded on cue when the button was pushed was one of the greatest (though predictable) moves I've seen.
I would like to have seen how Captain Bodgit's career would've turned out. Just peaking when he stopped.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Lincoln Fields

Live in person? hmmm it's a toss up between the 2002 TEST Stakes between YOU and Carson Hallow and last years edition of the Whitney with Invasor just hanging on. I think I would have to choose the 02 TEST.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
You & and the late great Carson Hollow in an epic battle at the greatest racetrack in the world. Summer of 2002 I believe.

What a race that was wan't it? I was at the finish line on the Clubhouse apron, Thank god I am 6'4'' and had just the best view of them batteling it out down the stretch. It still gives me chills how exciting that was.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Del Mar

I'll go with a more recent race - Second of June and Read the Footnotes in the Fountain of Youth - Great stretch battle
Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey
I'll go with a more recent race - Second of June and Read the Footnotes in the Fountain of Youth - Great stretch battle
Great call, Bogey... that was exciting.

RIP Second of June
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Arlington Park

2004 darley alcibiades:
Runway Model, Sharp Lisa, In the Gold, Dance Away Capote, Sense of Style ; in that order, blanket finish.
we were at the finish line. we could see Runway Model won, after that we had to wait for the photo.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

That Belmont was pretty exciting. Then again, any Triple Crown race is at reat to see in person.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Woodbine

Maybe not the "best" race, but Ouija Board's win in the F&M Turf this year was truly a performance for the ages. I get goosebumps just thinking about that race... In my mind the best horse on the grounds at the '06 BC.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Narragansett Park

The Best and the Worst in one Race:

1990 Breeders Cup Distraff was by far the greatest and most memorable race I have ever witnessed in person. With Bayakoa and Go for Wand hooking up right out of the gate and dueling for a mile and a sixteenth, until Go for Wand went down.

That was probably the saddest thing I have ever seen in racing.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Maybe I was more impressionable when I was a youngster, but one that stands out in my mind was the 1971 San Juan Capistrano, when His Felinity, Cougar II (all turn to the south and bow low), came flying past turf champion Fort Marcy and drew out. I hugged a complete stranger that day, which if you knew me, you would find astonishing. I also saw Ack Ack win the San Antonio that year, but it didn't make the same impression on me. That was the difference between those two horses - Ack Ack was a workmanlike runner, while the Coug was a dramatic one.

Other races that come to mind are Agitate winning the Hollywood Derby (12f turf in the summer) over Stardust Mel, the filly La Zanzara winning the San Juan Capistrano over the guys (a damp, misty day), and the gutsy win of the 'pretty horsie' Solar Salute over the hulks Quack and Royal Owl in the Santa Anita Derby.
Oh my God, I loved Solar Salute!!!!!! I haven't heard that name in eons!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Gulfstream Park

1978 JCGP Exceller, Seattle Slew and Affirmed, a blast from the past
Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Santa Anita

1979 Ohio Derby...Smarten set a track record that still stands today at venerable junk heap T-down! Of course that was my only visit to a thoroughbred track!! For some reason talked my dad into taking me for my 13th birthday and he did...increased my birthday payroll just a tiny bit with my 10 dollar win bet on Smarten...(low odds though!) Good horse, destroyed the field!! Seen lots of good quarter horse races, but those don't count.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Oaklawn

John Henry winning the Goodwood at Santa Anita before he was a racing God. He payed 7/2 that day.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Detroit Race Course

Conquistador Cielo's ('82) Belmont wire job, laying off 6 days from a track record in the MET Mile!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Apparently I posted in the wrong thread earlier. The best races I've seen in person are probably the 2005 and 2006 Whitneys.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
The Curragh

1. 1973 Secretariat & Sham- my first Derby
2. 1997 Preakness- Silver Charm, Free House & Captaim Bodgit
3. 1966 Scarborough Downs- cheap claimers in Maine, but a triple dead heat for win
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Gulfstream Park

cigar tying the streak at arlington is my obvious choice!!!!!! it was the first year i started going to the track and that, horse and race and arlington itself all in that same day made me fall in love with this game!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Monmouth Park

Not necessarily the best race from a competition stand point, but for sheer atmosphere, it was Smarty Jones in the Preakness....

Best race....'06 Azeri Breeders Cup....Round Pond vs Happy Ticket from gate to wire....was a great race.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Aqueduct

I was at the 78 Travers but I don't remember it although I vividly remember knowing Affirmed was a champion while I watched his last few races on the Channel 9 Frank Wright show.

The two most important races I've seen in person were the 1994 Travers where there was a cause for Concern but he held him off. The other was the 1997 Travers when Deputy Commander nosed out Behrens.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
I was at the 78 Travers but I don't remember it although I vividly remember knowing Affirmed was a champion while I watched his last few races on the Channel 9 Frank Wright show.

The two most important races I've seen in person were the 1994 Travers where there was a cause for Concern but he held him off. The other was the 1997 Travers when Deputy Commander nosed out Behrens.
That 1997 Travers was an excellent stretch duel. Behrens lost a couple tough ones in the lane at Saratoga.