Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
1) Street Sense
2) Scat Daddy
3) Great Hunter
4) Curlin
5) Any Given Saturday

Super sleeper- Grapelli... With a full field and a hot pace, this guy could make a run for it..Although his entrance into the derby seems unlikely due to graded earnings, I really believe this horse has a big upside.
I agree. Loved Bella Belluci and remember Drysdale scratching her day of Alabama as I loved her in that spot. being a Thunder Gulch distance not an issue and I feel if he devlops, Grapelli could be a sleeper to hit the board and be a factor down the road of his 3 YO season. Saturdays race he had no shot in with pace scenario and short field. Give him some pace and a little maturity and he could be a factor
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Sunshine Park

Oh and my top 5 would be

1. NBLS
2. Any Given Saturday
3. Circular Quay
4. Notional
5. Liquidity- Hanging on here but will give him one more chance
Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjf1031
Oh and my top 5 would be

1. NBLS
2. Any Given Saturday
3. Circular Quay
4. Notional
5. Liquidity- Hanging on here but will give him one more chance
As should I, but his run in the LA Derby was awful. I think the talent is definitely there.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Churchill Downs

My list in order:

1. Circular Quay (This horse is awesome).
2. Notional (So is this one).
3. Ravel (I don't like the fact that he will have only two starts; at least he will have run two 1 1/8 races though)
4. Any Given Saturday (I didn't like his action in the Tampa Bay Derby; he barely made my list)

Sam P. and Cobalt Blue are both improving, so I will be watching them carefully.

I like Great Hunter and Scat Daddy a little bit, and will have to see one more start from them. I will also be watching Adore the Gold and Hard Spun to see what they do, especially Hard Spun because I really don't think that Adore the Gold is good enough.

I don't think Nobiz Like Shobiz is good enough at this point. This horse is going to have to improve.

I will be very surprised in Street Sense is even in the starting gate.

I love both Curlin and Belgravia, but they are too rushed.

Stormello, Liquidity, and that horse that finished second to Circular Quay (I can't spell his name...Ket...; Stromello and Ket...are very good, tough horses though) will get burnt up on the front end. I don't like any others at this point, but will be watching everyone very closely.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
4. Any Given Saturday (I didn't like his action in the Tampa Bay Derby; he barely made my list)
What didn't you like about his action? He ran a very good race and literally got beaten by a head bob. He was also closer to the pace than Street Sense was. Just curious...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
What didn't you like about his action? He ran a very good race and literally got beaten by a head bob. He was also closer to the pace than Street Sense was. Just curious...
The way that he moved...It wasn't pretty. He's a good horse though so we will see...

Street Sense also does not move as pretty as he did before the BC Juvy either.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
The way that he moved...It wasn't pretty. He's a good horse though so we will see...

Street Sense also does not move as pretty as he did before the BC Juvy either.
Hmm... I couldn't disagree more. Did you hear this from Joel?

I was there and didn't see anything wrong with the way either one of them moved (and I'm a picky biatch.)
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Hmm... I couldn't disagree more. Did you hear this from Joel?

I was there and didn't see anything wrong with the way either one of them moved (and I'm a picky biatch.)
I haven't talked to Joel for a long time. It's been a month or more. Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old. He was much more fluid as a younger horse.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Only two horses have a chance to win the Derby. The exacta will be Notional and Circular Quay. Haven't decided the order but they are sure to be 1-2. It's as much a lock as Smarty and Lion Heart were going in in 2004. The sleepers are Curlin, Rags to Riches, and Scat Daddy. No others matter.

The Tampa Derby was a nice race. But I predict that it was so hard on those two that one or both will be out of the Derby. I believe one will be knocked out before the Derby and the other will be done for the year before the summer is over. Neither of these two horses finishes the summer.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I haven't talked to Joel for a long time. It's been a month or more. Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old. He was much more fluid as a younger horse.
LMFAO...

We were in the paddock right in front of both of them and NEITHER one looked sore in the slightest bit.

I was just curious if you'd heard this from Joel because I know he was there on Saturday, and I was curious as to how you were so certain both horses were sore since you weren't there. I thought maybe he had seen something and told you.

I also have a pretty good eye for sore horses (although I'm no expert on thoroughbreds) and if there had been something that stood out, I probably would have noticed.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Newmarket

Keep it coming people. The inside information and predictions being put up on this thread is absolutely priceless. This is one for the archives I'm sure.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
As should I, but his run in the LA Derby was awful. I think the talent is definitely there.

im sorry to tell you LIquidity isnt the caliber horse you think he is, he will end up in the high level socal allowance races, and occasionally hit the board in grade 3's and possibly eek out a non graded stakes win down the road
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Keep it coming people. The inside information and predictions being put up on this thread is absolutely priceless. This is one for the archives I'm sure.
I have no predictions and no inside info... I was just stating what I thought about those two horses. I am definitely no expert and have no desire to proclaim to be one, but IMO, neither colt looked sore.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
im sorry to tell you LIquidity isnt the caliber horse you think he is, he will end up in the high level socal allowance races, and occasionally hit the board in grade 3's and possibly eek out a non graded stakes win down the road
LMFAO!!! Don't make me laugh, Jerry. Please... I'm begging you.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
LMFAO!!! Don't make me laugh, Jerry. Please... I'm begging you.

LOL WHAT? are you happy now I mushed the horse into winning the Big Cap next year..lol
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
LOL WHAT? are you happy now I mushed the horse into winning the Big Cap next year..lol
Heck yeah... you've put the good curse on him. Ha!!!

I actually like him a lot... I think he's very talented, but that doesn't mean anything if he can't utilize that talent. We'll see how he does in his next start.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
LMFAO...

We were in the paddock right in front of both of them and NEITHER one looked sore in the slightest bit.

I was just curious if you'd heard this from Joel because I know he was there on Saturday, and I was curious as to how you were so certain both horses were sore since you weren't there. I thought maybe he had seen something and told you.

I also have a pretty good eye for sore horses (although I'm no expert on thoroughbreds) and if there had been something that stood out, I probably would have noticed.
Not all horses who are sore will walk sore. Bute hides a lot of things. Sometimes it requires a jog, a canter, or even a gallop to pick it out, or a good feel of the legs.

That's why the people that I am associated with feel the horse's legs at the two year old sales. They can't tell everything by watching them walk or just by looking at their legs. We saw some that walked sore at a recent sale while we were pulling them out and looking at them, and some of the others who didn't walk sore had something majorly wrong with them like a bad tendon or suspensory when their legs were felt upon.

Street Sense definitely does not move as pretty as he did as a two year old, and I have never been a fan of the way Any Given Saturday moves, but it is not as fluid as it was when he was a two year old.