Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Joe Silverio Simulcast Center
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut
one more thing.. what is my girlfriend doing on your avatar?
Making you think what you did wrong in life !
Old 04-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Mike Smith may be a shadow of his former self these days, but he is a Hall of Fame rider and is still capable of well-executed rides. His effort on Boca Grande last year (was it the Matron?) was so stunningly good that I wasn't sure it was actually him. Don't be skewed by blanket judgements about guys like him when they have a chance to win $45,000 in 1:49.0.

I knew Mike Smith when he was riding at Arlington Park.I told him one day what I thought of his ride.There were are lot of good ones,and a lot of bad ones.Hall of Fame jockey,ummm,let me think about that one.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Hate to be red-boarding but I threw a $2 WP on Tiago at the OTB (one of 4 bets on that race) and I did it as a lark because I had been hitting with some nice long-shots in other races earlier in the day (Call Me Clash, Reporting for Duty, Themis Valentine)... today seemed like a long-shot kinda day but I didn't think he'd win...
Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past Post
I guess the point is,I could never use Tiago on Top,2nd 3rd or 4th yes.

As far as Mig. giving that horse King of the Roxy a good ride. NO !!!
Way to wide for my liking.Plently of time to settle in and get a better trip then what he got.
Settle where though? You can't settle with a horse that has natural early speed like that from 8 paths out. He let him 'settle' on the backstretch when he got him to relax. That enabled him to get as close to winning as he did. There are only so many battles you can win in a race. You make tactical decisions that are designed to get your horse as close to the wire "whole" as you can. Mig did that well. Note that he kept going when all the other speed-attending runners had stoped. Again.. he was caught in the shadow of the wire.. beaten less than 2 jumps.

Last edited by Kasept : 04-07-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Flemington

LOL......This is all too hilarious.SON OF A BTCH HAS TALENT........There was no doubt,but he has stopped when he used his speed to make a middle move to the front.He only responded to cross the wire 1st when?... When he was treated EXACTLY LIKE GIACOMO(Smith on,blinks off,and allowed to relax and come late.)Let me explain something about these 2 horses....he and his half bro come from the same odd planet somewhere.They are like quakes....can happen any time,but you can't predict them.What did you call him,Steve? Curious COLT..LOL..
Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Steve,

D. Wayne Lukas is a hall of fame trainer. I just can't include him either.

I left Mike Smith out on personal prejudice and it cost me. I get burnt once and I remember. I woud have had Tiago if Mike wasn't up.
I'm sure he is a great guy and I don't have any real ill will towards him. If he was walking across the parking lot I would stop and let him buy.

btw

Today was a good day to be a Jon Court fan. Jon can never owe me money
Keeneland

Well, I'll be damned if I get beat by the half to Giacomo in the derby if he's in the gate. I don't care how stupid it is, but I'll have $10 to win on him just in case.
Delaware Park

Quote:
Settle where though? You can't settle with a horse that has natural early speed like that from 8 paths out. He let him 'settle' on the backstretch when he got him to relax. That enabled him to get the as close winning as he did. There are only so many battles you can win in a race. You make tactical decisions that are designed to get your horse as close to the wire "whole" as you can. Mig did that well. Note that he kept going when all the other speed attending runners had stoped. Again.. he was caught in the shadow of the wire.. beaten less than 2 jumps.

Million dollar question is,do you think if he found a shorter route around the track he would of won the race.I sure wish SA had Trakus like they have at Keenland to prove how much added ground this horse ran.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Oriental Park

I played the horse a bit and would offer

1) it was a very weak race on paper, in that case you really should be against the grain of the betting public (I did use same p though)

2) the pace of the race really screamed meltdown, and the horses who were weak were also part of this pace

3) Tiago worked really really good. In fact I believe it was Smiths idea to remove the blinkers for this race after his work two or three back.

4) anyone who has watches horses knows this horse is a better prospect then his brother, and despite the constant ridicule his brother was ok.

5) he was 30/1 in this race.....should have been around 10/1
Old 04-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I liked the blinkers off move and the improving Beyer's. I used him in the 2nd spot in exactas and in the 2nd & 3rd holes in trifectas. I couldn't see him winning it though. Thought I was cashing big coming into the lane
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf
I liked the blinkers off move and the improving Beyer's. I used him in the 2nd spot in exactas and in the 2nd & 3rd holes in trifectas. I couldn't see him winning it though. Thought I was cashing big coming into the lane
Glad someone looked at the way I did.Saved pennies to lose thousands today,but just my way of capping and betting.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Glad someone looked at the way I did.Saved pennies to lose thousands today,but just my way of capping and betting.
What!! They didn't have the Dime Super!!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
All right Point,I am happy for you that you made money.The reason you bet him is because he was an up and comer to shock them ??? Are you f--king kidding me.Please explain that phrase if you would please.No doubt you got a lot of help on the ride of Mig taking this horse wide,o so WIDE.Good job Mig on King of Roxy you chump.But,please tell me what you saw from this horse to be and up and comer.Maybe Randall can help me on this.
i must have saw enough i have been talking about him for 2 weeks, i liked him enough to go $100 wps on him, i liked him enough to put him on my derby list as my #1 sleeper.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Well, I'll be damned if I get beat by the half to Giacomo in the derby if he's in the gate. I don't care how stupid it is, but I'll have $10 to win on him just in case.
You're spending your entire Derby allotment on him?!?!

What about 'Daddy?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
All right Point,I am happy for you that you made money.The reason you bet him is because he was an up and comer to shock them ??? Are you f--king kidding me.Please explain that phrase if you would please.No doubt you got a lot of help on the ride of Mig taking this horse wide,o so WIDE.Good job Mig on King of Roxy you chump.But,please tell me what you saw from this horse to be and up and comer.Maybe Randall can help me on this.
He can't.He doesn't know either.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTGIVEN1985
i must have saw enough i have been talking about him for 2 weeks, i liked him enough to go $100 wps on him, i liked him enough to put him on my derby list as my #1 sleeper.
PG: all I can say is Well Done.....great payout for you!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Mike Smith may be a shadow of his former self these days, but he is a Hall of Fame rider and is still capable of well-executed rides. His effort on Boca Grande last year (was it the Matron?) was so stunningly good that I wasn't sure it was actually him. Don't be skewed by blanket judgements about guys like him when they have a chance to win $45,000 in 1:49.0.
Thanks for the memory! That was the G-2 Demoiselle. That was a HOF ride by Smith who squeezed through a narrow opening and came up the rail to win going away. Gutsy horse to race pinned in like that too.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Del Mar

I liked Tiago because:

- He had some trouble in earlier races- ran deceptively better because of the trouble. . .

- Has been improving with every race

- Blinkers off helps horses rate/come from off the pace

- Clearly a race full of pace

- Faves looked very beatable. . .
Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
You're spending your entire Derby allotment on him?!?!

What about 'Daddy?
Shut your trap! You're lucky I didn't text you all of the results yesterday.

I'll spend a couple hundred on derby day, as always.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Shut your trap! You're lucky I didn't text you all of the results yesterday.

I'll spend a couple hundred on derby day, as always.
You win any money yesterday?