Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34 View Post
Lol. Blasi is not fired, he is simply not on the staff currently. He will be back. You're crusade is misguided. For anyone to think Asmussen should bow down to the PETA crowd because of an edited video that showed nothing horse related other than his asst cusses often is truly comical.

You mean other than admitting giving thyroid medicine to horses that don't have a thyroid problem to enhance performance, right?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
What ever happened to the KY vet that was double dosing horses with Lasix?
Hopefully for society's sake she has been double dosed with lithium.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
You mean other than admitting giving thyroid medicine to horses that don't have a thyroid problem to enhance performance, right?
You do understand that is not illegal correct?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
That it may not be explicitly prohibited doesn't make it right or ethical (especially in light of what happened from Baffert's use of similar medication).

As I stated earlier in this thread, we should not kid ourselves that everything in the PETA video is completely benign. The part about putting a gel cast on a horse to "fool" the state vet about a horse that he scratched (to Blasi's dismay) is pretty bad stuff.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Well, that is debatable. I'm pretty sure it requires a prescription. If I'm right, somebody is doing something that isn't legal, either a vet or a trainer.

Even if it is legal, that is the kind of thinking that will doom the sport. You can't use drugs designed for a medical purpose as a performance enhancer. The sport will not survive without public support, and if that kind of stuff becomes commonplace, that support will vanish, and vanish quickly. It shows complete disregard for the horses.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
That it may not be explicitly prohibited doesn't make it right or ethical (especially in light of what happened from Baffert's use of similar medication).

As I stated earlier in this thread, we should not kid ourselves that everything in the PETA video is completely benign. The part about putting a gel cast on a horse to "fool" the state vet about a horse that he scratched (to Blasi's dismay) is pretty bad stuff.
I am not arguing that much of the video is hard to watch, however to make widespread accusations based on it would be incorrect. Regarding the specific gel cast issue, Blasi was in a relationship with the girl. Everyone knows that. Scott is a rough around the edges guy. Have you, or any other guy you know (because I sure have) ever run off at the mouth to "impress" a new girl with your bravado? Sure you have. Could that clip be explained by that context? Sure it could.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Well, that is debatable. I'm pretty sure it requires a prescription. If I'm right, somebody is doing something that isn't legal, either a vet or a trainer.

Even if it is legal, that is the kind of thinking that will doom the sport. You can't use drugs designed for a medical purpose as a performance enhancer. The sport will not survive without public support, and if that kind of stuff becomes commonplace, that support will vanish, and vanish quickly. It shows complete disregard for the horses.
I do not disagree that the sport has plenty of things to clean up. My point is, jumping to conclusions based on a VERY edited video that shows nothing illegal is a disservice to all.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I do not disagree that the sport has plenty of things to clean up. My point is, jumping to conclusions based on a VERY edited video that shows nothing illegal is a disservice to all.
The problem with making the "jumping to conclusions" argument is that it is not like Asmussen has a regulatory record that is anywhere close to pristine. I agree that some of the previously-adjudicated rules violations are not necessarily consistent with "cruelty to animals." That said, the notion that a guy with his track record was on the verge of entering the Hall of Fame is troubling (and is evidence that the sport largely condones his behavior).
Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I am not arguing that much of the video is hard to watch, however to make widespread accusations based on it would be incorrect. Regarding the specific gel cast issue, Blasi was in a relationship with the girl. Everyone knows that. Scott is a rough around the edges guy. Have you, or any other guy you know (because I sure have) ever run off at the mouth to "impress" a new girl with your bravado? Sure you have. Could that clip be explained by that context? Sure it could.
That's respectfully BS.. He is running his mouth to prove how great he is by being an Ahole? Very impressive.. Explained and condoned? Please the team including all the vet's and farriers should be accountable.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

If it requires a prescription, then using it for another purpose is illegal. Am I wrong that a prescription is required from a vet?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post

There is no evidence that any of Bafferts deaths were caused by thyroid medication except for the internet speculation and experts that have declared it proof.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Please the team including all the vet's and farriers should be accountable.
Accountable for what?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
There is no evidence that any of Bafferts deaths were caused by thyroid medication except for the internet speculation and experts that have declared it proof.
Didn't Baffert suggest it as well?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Accountable for what?
For not allowing a horses hoof to grow out with plain old time in the field. For trying desperately to do patch work repair when the real answer was time. For giving EVERY single horse a type of medication that should only be used vs. abused when indicated. You use medication when indicated not as part of a regiment. Every horse in the barn doesnt need clenbuetrol because there is hay in the air. Every horse doesnt need gastrogard or double doses of Adaquan just because it worked on a particular horse. It simple is redefining horsemanship to who has the most stuff. And that is helping create super trainers as much as anything else.

When this stuff stops being the norm especially with as you describe super trainers things will be better. It's hard enough finding the nefarious stuff but isnt this stuff just as ridiculous when EVERY horse needs all this crap? I am sure you werent taught to give every horse the same crap regardless if needed or indicated. It BS but I respect others opinions who think its the norm I just dont see how it helps the sport or the breed for that matter.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Didn't Baffert suggest it as well?
Of course he would. There is no penalty or further investigation that way and he doesnt even have to admit anything. While we dont know what else he was giving them, blaming thyroid powder is about the best excuse you could come up with because the vast majority of vets would say that they have used it on tens of thousands of horses without ever having had a rash of deaths. Makes it look like a fluke thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
For not allowing a horses hoof to grow out with plain old time in the field. For trying desperately to do patch work repair when the real answer was time. For giving EVERY single horse a type of medication that should only be used vs. abused when indicated. You use medication when indicated not as part of a regiment. Every horse in the barn doesnt need clenbuetrol because there is hay in the air. Every horse doesnt need gastrogard or double doses of Adaquan just because it worked on a particular horse. It simple is redefining horsemanship to who has the most stuff. And that is helping create super trainers as much as anything else.

When this stuff stops being the norm especially with as you describe super trainers things will be better. It's hard enough finding the nefarious stuff but isnt this stuff just as ridiculous when EVERY horse needs all this crap? I am sure you werent taught to give every horse the same crap regardless if needed or indicated. It BS but I respect others opinions who think its the norm I just dont see how it helps the sport or the breed for that matter.
You dont know anything specific on the horses in question so how can you make these judgments?

The idea that legal medications are somehow harming horses is counter to basically all medical evidence.

Gastrogard never hurts horses, ever.
Adequan never hurts horses, ever.

It is funny I read internet experts telling me that pin firing and freeze firing and leg paint and internal blisters and all the old methods are all archaic. I also read all the people saying that all the new methods of shock waving and medications are all bad too.

Makes me wonder where I should get the horses who dont get sick or hurt?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
If it requires a prescription, then using it for another purpose is illegal. Am I wrong that a prescription is required from a vet?
A prescription is required.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Sha Tin

"It is fairly commonly used at the racetrack," the report said. "However, the blanket prescribing of thyroxine to all horses in Baffert's barn does appear unusual. In a sense, the medication was treated more as a supplement than a medication. Thyroxine is most commonly used by veterinarians to assist weight loss in overweight horses, especially when they come in from the farm."

Because all of Baffert's horses received the medication, its use "does not explain why all the fatalities occurred at Hollywood Park," said the report. Arthur noted that Baffert conducted an internal review of his supplement program and discontinued the use of thyroxine in April.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2yuXk0SU5
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Arlington Park

Thyroxine is used to treat insulin resistance. Using it as a weight loss drug may be legal but ethical? Guess it all depends on your point of view.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley View Post
Thyroxine is used to treat insulin resistance. Using it as a weight loss drug may be legal but ethical? Guess it all depends on your point of view.
Regular (non racehorses) horses that are overweight and show signs of cushings or laminitis are also often given thyroxine to help control their weight. I have a IR horse that gets special feed and has been prescribed thyroxine. Literally thousands of vets prescribe thyroxine as a weight control tool.