Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Aqueduct

Default Curiousities about Flying First Class

Due to DruggieS bashing of Man o War, I decided to dig a little into this Lukas 3yo that just won, flying first class.

There are some very interesting and odd things about this horse.

First, he's bred and owned by OLD ENGLISH RANCHO! I left California 3.5 years ago, and I certainly never remember lukas training a single horse for them. Now don't get me wrong, they've bred some marvelous calbreds, but I think Headley is about the biggest name trainer I can remember them going with. Are they using Lukas now?

If this is the only horse they've given Lukas, then why this particular horse?

Another thing about Old English Rancho, is that it's an exceedingly rare day when they ship a horse of theirs out of state. Again, why with this one colt?

I've read that this horse wont be able to route, yet he debuted in a route race back in September, at Turfway Park. He made a nice move in the race and finished a pretty good second. I wouldn't swear to this, but he also looked a bit green, as if maybe he wasn't getting a good hold of the track.

Oddly enough, another debuter beat him. What's odd is that the horse that beat him was a filly owned by Tabor and Smith, and trained by PB. She's a 650k yearling by Giant's Causeway. As far as I can tell, she only ran one more time. Her name is Her Majesty, and she came back to run a much better than looked third in that weird sounding 2yo filly stakes race called the Darley Albicades (please forgive my butchering of the stakes name).

She was 3/5 debuting against colts and then went off 12/1 in that stakes race. She got hung out very wide on the first turn (I think she had PP 13) and went 6-8 wide the whole way) and ran a very valiant third. She has since disappeared as best I can tell, and has no published works listed at drf.com.

So, we have a horse that supposedly cannot route who actually did run a bang up 2nd to a highly regarded filly that came back in a g2 and could easily have won that race.

He is pretty impressive visually and looks like one big mofo who should have no problem going longer distance, if you ask me.

Of course, everything druggieS says about Lukas and rushing him will come into play, but otherwise, this could be a very nice horse to watch, especially as the distances increase.

Then again, he is a cheap calbred, and his first 3 dams I believe had a combined 2 starts between them.

Can anyone think of any other old english rancho horses that have been trained by DWL, or even shipped out of state to race permanently? Seems odd for a calbred that could be picking up easy money against state breds!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Flemington

Her Majesty also raced in the Breeder's Cup Juvie Fillies. If you recall, the start got delayed when a horse refused to load...that was Her Majesty.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 AM
bongster420

Her Majesty probably should have been no worse than second in the Darley. Also, in the paddock before the BC Juv. Fillies she was very excited and then would not load, so I am assuming she has been put away to "grow up" a little bit and will resurface at The Spa this summer. As for the Lukas horse...this is certainly the first horse he has trained for them that I can remember. I actually feel quite sad for this horse as others have mentioned because he WILL NOT miss a dance from now until late June.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Oaklawn

She seems typical of many of the GC babies. Many have talent that is hidden by a stubborn streak.

FFC might be a nice one, good horses come from all sorts of places.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Flemington

DRF has a small write-up on FFC in the Santa Anita track reports....next stop Rebel Stakes on March 17th at Oaklawn.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Her Majesty also raced in the Breeder's Cup Juvie Fillies. If you recall, the start got delayed when a horse refused to load...that was Her Majesty.
I thought she might have raced three times, but when I looked up her races at calracing, they only listed her as having 2 starts.

kind of a duh moment for me there! thanks for the correction!