Default The Albertrani Effect

if any?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

who?!
----------
Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Bold Reasoning

If I were lucky enough to own a racehorse, I would like Albertrani to be the trainer. Bernardini has it in his genes, but he needed Tom Albertrani to do the right things with him.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM
FairPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Reasoning
If I were lucky enough to own a racehorse, I would like Albertrani to be the trainer. Bernardini has it in his genes, but he needed Tom Albertrani to do the right things with him.
The horse was so impeccably bred and talented that I feel that another trainer might actually have gotten a whole lot more out of him. First, after the walkover in the Preakness, how could he possibly have been allowed to skip the Belmont. An AP Indy colt going 1 1/2 against that level of competition should've been a cakewalk. Jazil has proven that he was even a greater classic winning fluke than Giacomo. Then, for his final Breeders' Cup prep race, he basically puts him in a position for a public workout rather than shipping him somewhere, anywhere, he could actually be tested. When it came time for his big test against a prime time horse, he failed because of lack of fighting skills more than anything else.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Bold Reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairPlay
The horse was so impeccably bred and talented that I feel that another trainer might actually have gotten a whole lot more out of him. First, after the walkover in the Preakness, how could he possibly have been allowed to skip the Belmont. An AP Indy colt going 1 1/2 against that level of competition should've been a cakewalk. Jazil has proven that he was even a greater classic winning fluke than Giacomo. Then, for his final Breeders' Cup prep race, he basically puts him in a position for a public workout rather than shipping him somewhere, anywhere, he could actually be tested. When it came time for his big test against a prime time horse, he failed because of lack of fighting skills more than anything else.
Your points are well-taken. I sensed the Sheikh had something to do with Bernardini not running in the Belmont. I certainly was very disappointed.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
The Curragh

I'm not going by any stats here, but here's the Albertrani effect on me. When I see some ridiculously priced and/or well-bred horse under his care, I give them a chance to win at first asking. If Eoin Harty is the trainer of the same horse, I generally toss him.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Keeneland

Does anyone know if Albertrani's wife still is an excercise rider? Remember her being Cigar's morning rider when Tom assisted Mott's NY string before he moved to Dubai.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Well the final prep turned out to be more of a public workout because nobody wanted to face him. That's not his fault. I'm sure there would've been much better horses in the race if he wasn't running.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
FairPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiznowthegreat
Well the final prep turned out to be more of a public workout because nobody wanted to face him. That's not his fault. I'm sure there would've been much better horses in the race if he wasn't running.
There was no law against shipping him out to California to take on Lava Man in California in the Goodwood on that same day. That likely would have been a battle and done him [Bernardini] a great deal of good.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Flemington

Albertrani seems like a pretty capable trainer to me.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Bold Reasoning

Quote:
There was no law against shipping him out to California to take on Lava Man in California in the Goodwood on that same day. That likely would have been a battle and done him [Bernardini] a great deal of good.
I read awhile ago that the Sheikh does not want to run his horses in California. This point came up during the time that the breakdowns were out of control.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Santa Anita

I do like the patience his handlers showed with Berbardini.