Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Oriental Park

Default Contest Clarifications and thoughts going forward . . .

Some questions have been asked, so here are the clarifications in answer to them:

1. Our handicapping year ends the last contest/weekend before Breeders Cup and the Gallivan Cup challenge, thus how the top ten is determined going for the Cup.
2. Points totals and ROI totals for our handicapping year conclude as the end of the same contest. BC points and ROI returns are not included in the handicapping year totals.
3. Points wins, scores (including the BC card) do not roll forward into the start of the new handicapping year which starts two weekends after Breeders Cup (thus the week off). It's a whole new handicapping year.
4. The one thing does roll forward is the winner of the Breeders Cup points contest does select the venue to start the new handicapping year off.

Thoughts going forward or tweaks to the contests to be considered . . . post them in this thread please.

Thank you playing and hanging in with us . . . yas all knows how much I luvs yas!!!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:52 AM
The Curragh

My suggestion is to eliminate the monthly bonus points. The Breeders Cup ROI will now only be used for "stat" purposes. Technically the yearlong contest ends the week before the Breeders Cup and the Gallivan Cup will stand on it's own as I understand it.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
The Curragh

1. Our handicapping year ends the last contest/weekend before Breeders Cup and the Gallivan Cup challenge, thus how the top ten is determined going for the Cup.

2. Points totals and ROI totals for our handicapping year conclude as the end of the same contest.

** BC points and ROI returns are not included in the handicapping year totals

***3. Points wins, scores ***(including the BC card) do not roll forward into the start of the new handicapping year which starts two weekends after Breeders Cup (thus the week off).
It's a whole new handicapping year.
========================
HUH?

OK ~ IF I understand this correctly ~
Then how is that FAIR to the BC Winners to get NO credit for the WIN
in this year or next much less the BONUS Points for Repeat!

The WIN in BC according to what this says is that he/she gets NO CREDIT at all!

*Either let the BC results in Both contests be added to the official year end
totals / Standings = Makes Sense since the BC Days are part of current year ~

OR let the new season start with the Points gained by both winners

Just seems terribly unfair to me (not because I had repeat Win / Points)
but not fair to anyone who wins either game and gets NO credit at all!

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Oriental Park

Ruffian: I guess I can see why you think it might be unfair but this is the way this forum has been set up for many years. As RQ mentioned, the BC - Gallivan Cup weekend stands alone all by itself as a single "BIG (2) DAY EVENT", basically rewarding the top 10 to play for the Cup. You have a Cup now, be happy and be proud of the fact you have joined that "lofty and exclusive" club. JolyB doesn't have one or does he, hmmmmm?

You were the points winner last weekend and can choose the venue for the weekend after next as we start into a new handicapping year and we all start with zero points. If you don't want to be in the Gallivan Cup Club, let me know with a PM.

After all this is all really for fun, isn't it?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Oriental Park

To all:

Lets try and recruit or re-recruit some more players. I know, JB, Ruff, CT and RQ would like some more and better competition. I'll even try to do better and play the whole year this time.

There has to be some more horse racing lovers out there that would enjoy all the challenging friendly fun we have here and it may even improve their handicapping skills.

Thank you all again for who you are and your allegiance to the forum. It adds to the fun time of my weekends and keeps the calculus/differential equation deciphering side of my brain awake. That would a terrible thing to waste.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 PM
The Curragh

Default To Clarify ~

So sorry if my wording was Misunderstood!

My Suggestion had NOTHING to do with Gallivan Cup at all

I simply thought that the Winners of BC Points & ROI should
have their totals included in an Official Year End Standings
since those 2 contests are Separate from Gallivan Cup, and
are a part of the current yearly contests

Just because things have been one way for a long time
Does not also mean that sometimes, Change is Good

NO offence was intended with my previous comments
Only a Simple Suggestion that seems valid & fair

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Randwyck

The only benefit here is to whoever cup of coffee get filled up by the rest of us
please delete me from this website..I'm begging you
Old 11-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzan200246 View Post
The only benefit here is to whoever cup of coffee get filled up by the rest of us
please delete me from this website..I'm begging you
I will be polite saying that this post makes no sense what so ever and I'll leave it at that. You may leave on your own free will. No reason to delete or ban you and no hard feelings on my side. And if you decide to come back I'll buy you a cup of that coffee your talking about if I can find it . . . and I'll sweeten up so it's not so bitter it's a joke Cruz, a joke.

Last edited by DonGuido : 11-10-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN-333 View Post
So sorry if my wording was Misunderstood!

My Suggestion had NOTHING to do with Gallivan Cup at all

I simply thought that the Winners of BC Points & ROI should
have their totals included in an Official Year End Standings
since those 2 contests are Separate from Gallivan Cup, and
are a part of the current yearly contests

Just because things have been one way for a long time
Does not also mean that sometimes, Change is Good

NO offence was intended with my previous comments
Only a Simple Suggestion that seems valid & fair
Ruffian: lets see if others feel the same way and we'll go from there. We have made some positive changes over the years and maybe we need to do more. And change is not always good . . . look what happened 2 days or so a go.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Oriental Park

OK, I just cleaned out my PM boxes if anyone needs to get something off their chest or just send me polite PM.

Thank you,
DG
Old 11-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Hawthorne

Just thought I'd stop by and say I missed playing with my C-Note today.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 PM
The Curragh

Rumor has it that your C note will be worth more next week. The Ruff is a big fan of Kamloops.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Oriental Park

So I kind of agree with RQ in eliminating the monthly bonus points for the ROI. Maybe there's a more equitable way to award ROI adroitness. We have a week or so to think about this and propose something. If not, I would agree we do away with the monthly ROI bonus since it's often too prone to throwing darts at a board with names, horse colors and other crystal ball picks that bring in sporadic mega buck ROI's.

Just my take and keeping it real . . . essssh am I sounding like Trump???

I believe we need to reward the ROI winners but it's slanted right now and we need to right that ship or do away with it.

Comments?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:26 AM
The Curragh

Here is my take on the year ending contest. We have always ended on the week before the Breeders Cup. Plenilune expertly tally's the points portion and it is my opinion that the year long totals should include the Breeders Cup since it is the biggest day of the year. Why do we not award points and bonus points on that day? The Gallivan Cup should stand on its own but a year long contest for totals should last all year. I have always added the Breeders Cup to the yearly totals right or wrong. If our contest year ends prior to the BC and ROI results are finished the week prior then there is no point even doing the ROI the last week. Summing it up, my opinion is there should be a YEAR long total point winner, an ROI winner and a Gallivan Cup winner and no monthly bonus points for ROI (and I have calculation reasons which have nothing to do with who picks what). Thanks all.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
Here is my take on the year ending contest. We have always ended on the week before the Breeders Cup. Plenilune expertly tally's the points portion and it is my opinion that the year long totals should include the Breeders Cup since it is the biggest day of the year. Why do we not award points and bonus points on that day? The Gallivan Cup should stand on its own but a year long contest for totals should last all year. I have always added the Breeders Cup to the yearly totals right or wrong. If our contest year ends prior to the BC and ROI results are finished the week prior then there is no point even doing the ROI the last week. Summing it up, my opinion is there should be a YEAR long total point winner, an ROI winner and a Gallivan Cup winner and no monthly bonus points for ROI (and I have calculation reasons which have nothing to do with who picks what). Thanks all.
RQ, I think you make some good points and help to clarify any confusion on points totals and year end stats. And the recap on the year has not been posted yet as there has always been, since I've assumed "The Don" role here a Champ for Year in Total Points and Total ROI is announced . . . and totals for each will include the results of the Breeders Cup card.

RQ, you of course have the honors to recap and announce the Year's ROI Champ and I will do the same for the points totals with an obvious note on the Gallivan Cup winner.

One last clarification. When we start a new handicapping year, we all start off with zero points. The results on Breeders Cup weekend are not carried forward to the card starting the new handicapping year.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:01 PM
The Curragh

I agree that Breeders Cup Points should not be carried over to the new year but henceforth should be included in the year end totals.