Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Worst TV shows of the 1990s

I have a friend I've known for over 30 years, who, much as I like her, has kind of execrable taste in television. She was waxing rhapsodic recently about finally getting season one of "The Adventures of Sinbad" (1996-1998) on DVD and I decided to watch a few episodes to see what she was so crazy about. And it is a terrible, terrible show. Even for the 1990s the special effects stink, the writing is clunky, and I was surprised there was any scenery left after the villains were done chewing it. I nominate it for one of the worst series of the 1990s.

What shows from the 1990s do you think were terrible? Network or syndication, doesn't matter, but must have reached a national audience (no Yanni Stamos Diaries. No what? all of you who don't live in NYC say. Exactly.) and at least half of the series must have originally aired between 1990-1999.

Warning: If anyone says Beverly Hills, 90210, I will cut you. That show was AWESOME in its first few seasons. Donna Martin graduates!

I will admit that, while I was a big fan of Friends at the time, that show does not hold up. At all.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Hialeah Park

Hated - Home Improvement

Loved (and still watch re-runs) - Married with Children.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Belmont Park

COP ROCK

I feel kinda bad issuing a thread closer in the 3rd post, but you cannot possibly beat this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwNT...FA433B86301F71

Last edited by Rudeboyelvis : 05-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
COP ROCK

I feel kinda bad issuing a thread closer in the 3rd post, but you cannot possibly beat this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwNT...FA433B86301F71
OMG
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Worst TV shows of the 1990s

"Byrds of Paradise," although many in its cast went on to bigger and better things (Seth Green, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Timothy Busfield).

I think it ran for one season (1994?), and I only watched it to see Arlo Guthrie's performance and the Hawaii locale shots.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
"Byrds of Paradise," although many in its cast went on to bigger and better things (Seth Green, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Timothy Busfield).

I think it ran for one season (1994?), and I only watched it to see Arlo Guthrie's performance and the Hawaii locale shots.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Jennifer Love Hewitt.. me too..

Fell in love (again) with her in the movie.
Heartbreakers (2001 film)Jennifer Love Hewitt,Sigourney Weaver

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Randwyck

Alright I'll take a stab at this:

Beverly Hills 90210. I couldn't stand that show. Sorry, I can't sympathize with the rich whiney brats and their problems.

Harry and the Hendersons - Crap for a movie turn into a TV show?

Family Matters - annoying and stupid
The Nanny - see above

Baywatch and Baywatch nights - great eye candy. Horrible acting....even got worst after the 1st season when Erica Eleniak left.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Belmont Park

Uh oh
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Keeneland

Slam Dunk

My ex-wife's fav Harry and the Hendersons.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
Alright I'll take a stab at this:

Beverly Hills 90210. I couldn't stand that show. Sorry, I can't sympathize with the rich whiney brats and their problems.
What are you TALKING about? The main characters were middle class kids from Minnesota! (with very expensive wardrobes) Andrea Zuckerman was poor and lied about her home address so she could go to the better public school! (and was never caught, probably because the teachers were too busy trying to figure out why a 30-year-old was still in high school to even notice where she lived).

I still remember the hullabaloo in Middle America after FOX aired the episode where Brenda had sex and didn't immediately die of AIDS or get pregnant.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Jennifer Love Hewitt.. me too..

Fell in love (again) with her in the movie.
Heartbreakers (2001 film)Jennifer Love Hewitt,Sigourney Weaver
She was a cutie, but she's kind of scary looking now on The Client List. Why did she do all that stuff to her face?

I recently rewatched her in I Know What You Did Last Summer (shut up; I love horror movies) and, speaking of the 1990's, was reminded of one of the poorer fashion trends then- girls in overalls. I was guilty of it, too. We all thought we were so cute, but really, we just looked like we needed a pitchfork and shovel.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
What are you TALKING about? The main characters were middle class kids from Minnesota! (with very expensive wardrobes) Andrea Zuckerman was poor and lied about her home address so she could go to the better public school! (and was never caught, probably because the teachers were too busy trying to figure out why a 30-year-old was still in high school to even notice where she lived).

I still remember the hullabaloo in Middle America after FOX aired the episode where Brenda had sex and didn't immediately die of AIDS or get pregnant.
haha, now that's funny.
never watched the show. surely mcgyver should be on the list. not sure who was the worse 'actor', the guy who played mcgyver or chuck norris in walker, texas ranger.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
She was a cutie, but she's kind of scary looking now on The Client List. Why did she do all that stuff to her face?

I recently rewatched her in I Know What You Did Last Summer (shut up; I love horror movies) and, speaking of the 1990's, was reminded of one of the poorer fashion trends then- girls in overalls. I was guilty of it, too. We all thought we were so cute, but really, we just looked like we needed a pitchfork and shovel.
Where is that show, never hoid of it..
and i dig horror movies too..all the way back to The Wolfman and Frankenstein...and Jason with the hockey mask...

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
haha, now that's funny.
never watched the show. surely mcgyver should be on the list. not sure who was the worse 'actor', the guy who played mcgyver or chuck norris in walker, texas ranger.

Chuck Norris is an actor

Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Hollywood Park

Doogie Howser, M.D. was pretty bad

Frasier and Seinfeld were great !!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Where is that show, never hoid of it..
and i dig horror movies too..all the way back to The Wolfman and Frankenstein...and Jason with the hockey mask...
It's currently running on Lifetime- she plays a high class prostitute. Or something like that. I confess I only see the ads for it while I'm watching Project Runway.

My first horror movie was The Blob, when I was five. I was terrified. Now, the scariest thing is Steve McQueen playing a teenager. There's one scene where his character is stopped by the cops and tries to get out of a ticket by pretending he's drunk (ah, the 1950s!), but because he's like 35 years old, he just comes across as slightly retarded.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
haha, now that's funny.
Oh, God, it was SUCH a scandal. Heaven forfend a teenage girl lose her virginity and be okay about the whole thing.

My husband was on an episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger." He still gets the occasional residual check. For like a dollar. I was very impressed about it when we met (that he was on the show, not about the dollar residual checks), but he told me that because the show shot in Dallas, virtually every actor in Texas was in at least one episode. He said if you were a Texas actor and weren't on Walker at least once, casting directors assumed something was wrong with you.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post

all time BEST imo...MASH, Cheers, all in the family not far behind...

Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post

Seinfeld holds up amazingly well. Still a really, really funny show. I haven't seen Frasier recently, but I loved it when it was on.

I hadn't realized Doogie Howser aired mostly in the 90s. Y'all have better memories than I do, for sure.