Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
As an attorney, I'm well aware of a lawyer's obligation to advocate for his client. However, unless required by a court to represent a particular individual, I'm also very aware of the fact that a lawyer is free to pick and choose who his clients are. Unless the horseman's groups that Foreman represents believe that Biancone is being unfairly targeted - or are against stricter penalties for severe violations of the rules (I suspect that neither is the case), to my way of thinking, Foreman has made a poor choice in taking on this "crusade."

At a minimum, his comments suggest that professionally he does not believe in strong deterrents for rule breakers - and these statements come despite the fact that he is a Vice Chair of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium. See www.rmtcnet.com. I wonder how the other members of an organization that has led the charge in trying to clean up the sport feel about "one of their own" representing Biancone in what is probably the most highly publicized/severe case in the past few years, and advocating for only a fine.
I agree 1000% and I think you very clearly expressed this point.

Eric
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I take it that though we have typically much firmer turf courses here than in Europe, the medication(s) that these horses receive more than offset running on firmer courses, which, absent such medication(s), would seem counterproductive.
I'm not really sure what you said but training on different surfaces is the main culprit
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i was reading the drf article about teuf, and this gem was underneath:

Biancone off to slow start

Trainer Patrick Biancone was handed a one-year suspension for medication violations by the Kentucky stewards just hours before the meet began Friday, and things didn't get any better once the races began. Biancone went winless with his first 12 starters over the three-day opening weekend, including a rash of beaten favorites in major races.
Biancone runners were favored and lost in four of the FallStars Weekend features: Irish Smoke in the Darley Alcibiades, Baroness Thatcher in the Thoroughbred Club of America, Lady of Venice in the First Lady, and Nownownow in the Bourbon.
False favorites, at least a couple of them. Smoke Glacken over Gilded Time does not a 2-turn Polytrack horse make.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
False favorites, at least a couple of them. Smoke Glacken over Gilded Time does not a 2-turn Polytrack horse make.
i was making a point that, since his vet was suspended, and i would assume he's behaving himself as well, his % has suffered as a result.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
While I didn't particularly care for any of them, I think Nownownow is the only one who probably was a "false favorite." (Clement's horse should have been the favorite, although I understand why he wasn't with only a maiden victory to his credit.) While I agree that Irish Smoke's pedigree suggested that she was suspect at the distance, off her dominating Spinaway victory, I don't know who else would have been the favorite. Same for Lady of Venice, winner of the CashCall Mile, and Baroness Thatcher off placings in the Ballerina and Test. Even if they were false favorites, they each ran poorly.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
My problem is with the owners that blindly support these guys who routinely violate the rules and turn a blind eye toward it or worse justify the the breaking of the rules. That the Walmac guy is actively defending Biancone (he has horses with him) on another board is SO typical of a response that he cant see that HE is the problem than Biancone. Without owner support, trainers are out of business.
Interesting Thursday Blood-Horse "Talking Horses" interview with "the Walmac guy", who was indeed defending Biancone on another board.

Read the first questions in the interview.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Trainers get busted it's time off
Jockey gets busted it's lifetime ban

there is a cast system in racing