Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator
And a rollin' they are

Looks like somebody lit a fire under that broad index today.

Maybe Pants will help me load the U-Haul when I cash out.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oba...tock-investors
Pelosi's husband? Blago? LOL

Can you say Ponzi?

Back the U-haul up soon, take the money and invest in foreign stocks. Soon they will own us!!!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Flemington

I'm still trying to figure out how a major company like GM files for bankrupcy and the market goes up 200 points.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I'm still trying to figure out how a major company like GM files for bankrupcy and the market goes up 200 points.
It will drop 185 tomorrow
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Gulfstream Park

Got 20% of the portfolio in an international stock index fund, dellinger

Just have to make sure I bail at the right time if another dumb con like Bush somehow gets elected and drives the economy off a cliff again.

By the way, you do know that, historically, the market has performed better when a dem has been in the White House ... right?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Coach Pants

It's just amazing how the market dropped like an atom bomb and you didn't post of any losses...but all of a sudden you're playing and making money.

It's utterly laughable.

You're excuse will be because Bush was in office..and that only adds to the fact that you're a moron.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Gulfstream Park

You're clueless, Pants.

Of course I lost money during the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson Financial Meltdown of 2008. Heck, even Buffett lost a bundle in that nightmare.

But instead of squealing like a little 9yo girl (and high-pitch Hannity) back in early March and wondering if/when I should pull what was left out of the market, I transferred 63k into my Vanguard account and bought as many shares of their S&P 500 index fund as I could.

Needless to say, things have worked out swimmingly well to this point.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You're clueless, Pants.

Of course I lost money during the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson Financial Meltdown of 2008. Heck, even Buffett lost a bundle in that nightmare.

But instead of squealing like a little 9yo girl (and high-pitch Hannity) back in early March and wondering if/when I should pull what was left out of the market, I transferred 63k into my Vanguard account and bought as many shares of their S&P 500 index fund as I could.

Needless to say, things have worked out swimmingly well to this point.
You think the housing collapse had nothing to do with the market? The fact Fannie May was handing out loans based on HOPE they would be paid back? The fact republicans tried to sound the alarm only to be called racist by the likes of Maxine Waters and Barney Frank? Yea it was all George....LMAO
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
You think the housing collapse had nothing to do with the market? The fact Fannie May was handing out loans based on HOPE they would be paid back? The fact republicans tried to sound the alarm only to be called racist by the likes of Maxine Waters and Barney Frank? Yea it was all George....LMAO
Fome Wikipedia - Maxine Waters

Stock Ownership of OneUnited Bank

Miss Waters arranged meetings with U.S. Treasury Department officials (in September, 2008) for OneUnited Bank to plead for federal cash. It had been heavily invested in Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and its capital was "all but wiped out" after the U.S. government took them over. Her husband is a stockholder (more than $250,000 as of May 2008) and former director of the bank. The bank's executives were major contributors to her campaigns. Rep. Barney Frank counseled her against participating in the matter. The bank has its headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts, and offices in Los Angeles and Miami. It did secure $12 million in TARP money

Dell - even barney frank knew this stunk
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
And a rollin' they are

Looks like somebody lit a fire under that broad index today.

Maybe Pants will help me load the U-Haul when I cash out.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oba...tock-investors
The markets did get way over sold. It was a situation where stocks were being valued based on a worst case scenario. Right now things look a little better and people are starting to think that the worst may be over. People are thinking that there could be a recovery in the economy starting next year.

I think this market probably goes higher over the next month or two. But once people figure out that there isn't going to be a recovery and when they figure out that the worst is not over, you will see the market make new lows. I bet you that in one year from now stocks will be much lower than they are now.

This is nothing more than a bear-market rally. But as long as a high percentage of people think that this is only a bear-market rally, the market will continue to go higher. When it finally gets to the pont where everyone is convinced that we are in a new bull market and everyone is back in, that is when this market will take a huge dive. We're not quite to that point yet but I think we will be in another month or two.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
The markets did get way over sold. It was a situation where stocks were being valued based on a worst case scenario. Right now things look a little better and people are starting to think that the worst may be over. People are thinking that there could be a recovery in the economy starting next year.

I think this market probably goes higher over the next month or two. But once people figure out that there isn't going to be a recovery and when they figure out that the worst is not over, you will see the market make new lows. I bet you that in one year from now stocks will be much lower than they are now.

This is nothing more than a bear-market rally. But as long as a high percentage of people think that this is only a bear-market rally, the market will continue to go higher. When it finally gets to the pont where everyone is convinced that we are in a new bull market and everyone is back in, that is when this market will take a huge dive. We're not quite to that point yet but I think we will be in another month or two.
Well put.

Let me add...when you flood the world with currency, what is going to happen to equities? Are US companies in any better shape NOW than they were before the rally started?

Rupert is a wise man.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Well put.

Let me add...when you flood the world with currency, what is going to happen to equities? Are US companies in any better shape NOW than they were before the rally started?

Rupert is a wise man.
only if you believe state run companies are superior to privately run companies. Look at how great our state run schools are doing compared to private ones. That's why Obama's kids are getting a public education. OOPS strike that last point. How about the Post Office compared to UPS OOPS that's a bad example as well. I suppose the answer is NO
Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
It will drop 185 tomorrow
Up 19

Probably easier stabbing at that weekend Pick 6 than trying to predict market activity these days.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Gulfstream Park

Who knows what will happen going forward, RP ... but I'm not all that concerned since I'll likely be holding these low-cost index funds for a loooooong (at least the next 25 years) time.

Just gunna keep dollar-cost-averaging money into the account ... rebalance occasionally ... and adjust the stock to bond ratio as I get older.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
only if you believe state run companies are superior to privately run companies. Look at how great our state run schools are doing compared to private ones. That's why Obama's kids are getting a public education. OOPS strike that last point. How about the Post Office compared to UPS OOPS that's a bad example as well. I suppose the answer is NO
Does it always have to be so partisan? The economic catastrophe that this country is trying to work its way out of was hardly obama's fault and to blame it all on bush or republicans or democrats or any one group is silly. This is the end game of a cycle that has been playing out for many years.

Obama walked into a collosal heap of steaming ****. I really don't know what he should have done differently.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Who knows what will happen going forward, RP ... but I'm not all that concerned since I'll likely be holding these low-cost index funds for a loooooong (at least the next 25 years) time.

Just gunna keep dollar-cost-averaging money into the account ... rebalance occasionally ... and adjust the stock to bond ratio as I get older.
There is a very bright economist named Harry S. Dent that I have followed for years. He is a Harvard MBA. He wrote the book The Great Boom Ahead back in 1992 where he predicted that the Dow, which was around 2000 at the time, would go up all the way to 10,000 or higher. Then he wrote the Roaring 2000s in about 1998. In that book he updated his estimates and predicted the Dow would probably go up to 20,000 and possibly as high as 30,000 which turned out to be overly optimistic. In both those books he predicted that we would have a huge boom period that would last until approximately 2008 or 2009. But he always predicted that the prosperity would come to an end sometime around 2008 or 2009 and that after that we would go into a terrible depression that would last for years. And back in around 1990, he predicted that the Japanese economy would collapse and would not recover for more than 20 years.

His predictions are based mainly on demographics. His numbers are never going to be perfect. He can't tell you exactly how low the Dow will go. The low could be 3000 or it could be 4500. Nobody knows exactly. And there can be unforseen short-term events that can throw things off course temporarily. But in terms of market direction on a long term basis, I think Dent has been very accurate. He says that the next boom period will not start until somewhere between 2020 and 2023. By the way, he also accurately predicted the housing crash. His timing may have been off by a year, but all the way back in 1998, he warned something to the effect of, "Don't be buying your $10 million dream house any time around 2007, which will be the top of the housing market, because you will see the house lose around 70% of its value.

Anyway, Dent's new book is called The Great Depression Ahead.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Does it always have to be so partisan? The economic catastrophe that this country is trying to work its way out of was hardly obama's fault and to blame it all on bush or republicans or democrats or any one group is silly. This is the end game of a cycle that has been playing out for many years.

Obama walked into a collosal heap of steaming ****. I really don't know what he should have done differently.
how about letting the market work it's own way out or at least cut back and save for the storm that's a coming. If you were in debt 20K last couple years and are now in debt 50K with less income coming in are you better off?

I forgot if you had a machine to make money you'd be OK.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

when the government gets its hands on private sector businesses there's a huge problem. Case in point our mailman at the office who does 8hrs of work in 2 hours, sleeping or playing talk show host during the rest of his 6 hrs. Then he needs a shrink cause he's overworked? And he's one of the star employees hence the one office complex delivery per day. Schools in our area who dare mention God are far superior to anything public at a fraction of the cost per student. So what happened?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
For what it is worth,
you and I will both be stockholders in
the new GM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
For what it is worth,
you and I will both be stockholders in
the new GM.
Yeah I get to be a stockholder in a company that fails , yippee skippe just what I have been looking for.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
how about letting the market work it's own way out or at least cut back and save for the storm that's a coming. If you were in debt 20K last couple years and are now in debt 50K with less income coming in are you better off?

I forgot if you had a machine to make money you'd be OK.
Right...that was really effective in 1929 wasnt it? It was even more effective in 2007.

The system locked up in 2007 and the fed's first reaction was to let the market work itself out. That didnt work and set the stage for the implosion of 2008.

Locked credit markets dont "work themselves out". Letting the market "work itself out" would have led to a total collapse of our financial system last fall. To their credit, Paulson and Bush at least understood what was at stake in the end and did what they could to stave off catastrophe regardless of how left leaning their policies ended up being.

At least the current administration can be lauded for wanting to help the people instead of merely big business like the prior admin's policies. One of the only things BOTH admins have in common is that neither attacks the REAL problem. Government invertention was unquestionably necessary...its the idea of what the government should be doing that is in question.