Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 AM
Saratoga

Default Songbird Has a Baby

A little girl...

https://twitter.com/BH_AEberhardt/st...66949184684033
Old 01-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Havre de Grace

She's beautiful like her Mom. I wonder what they will name her ?
Photogate ?
Mom Actually Won ?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Close Hatches > Songbird
Icon Projects best race > Songbirds best race
Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Close Hatches > Songbird
Icon Projects best race > Songbirds best race
Icon Project's best race was better than Accelerate. A little unfair, however, to say either of those horses were better than Songbird. How about Songbird's 2YO season? Can you name any recent 2YO fillies that were better than her on dirt? I don't think I can. Songbird was a better 3YO than Close Hatches as well. She just didn't improve off her 2YO form. Sort of shows how good she was as a 2YO.

Songbird was overrated as a 3YO by some....but she was still VERY good.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Icon Project's best race was better than Accelerate. A little unfair, however, to say either of those horses were better than Songbird. How about Songbird's 2YO season? Can you name any recent 2YO fillies that were better than her on dirt? I don't think I can. Songbird was a better 3YO than Close Hatches as well. She just didn't improve off her 2YO form. Sort of shows how good she was as a 2YO.

As a whole do you think Songbird was better then Close Hatches? I dont. Close Hatches big win over Beholder and that Princess horse does it for me. Songbirds Del Cap was an eyesore. Her loss at Saratoga was inexcusable, we all liked FU, but Songbird had everything her own way that day and was run down.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:47 AM

As for her 2yr old season, i dont remember Bob having anything. In the BC she beat up on Pletcher and Nicks horses who never really did much after. Then she spent time beating up on Carina Mia as a 3yr old who Mott and Chad couldn't get much out of. I find her overrated as a whole, while acknowledging she was accomplished.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
As a whole do you think Songbird was better then Close Hatches? I dont. Close Hatches big win over Beholder and that Princess horse does it for me. Songbirds Del Cap was an eyesore. Her loss at Saratoga was inexcusable, we all liked FU, but Songbird had everything her own way that day and was run down.
Wasn't Beholder hurt in that race?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Wasn't Beholder hurt in that race?
Possibly. My memory is getting bad with old age.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
In Delaware, she fought gamely for the win off of the lay-off. No shame in that.
In her lone loss, She was racing while injured and would have won if Mike Smith had taken her out to see Forever Unbridled coming. smith said he didn’t want to blow the ground going 5 paths out, but if he had to do it again, he would have give Songbird a chance to see her coming. The same Forever Unbridled that had no excuse in the Distaff, where Songbird got placed second in error. It’s all there to see on the slow motion replay where JD Bailey called Songbird the winner.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
In Delaware, she fought gamely for the win off of the lay-off. No shame in that.
In her lone loss, She was racing while injured and would have won if Mike Smith had taken her out to see Forever Unbridled coming. smith said he didn’t want to blow the ground going 5 paths out, but if he had to do it again, he would have give Songbird a chance to see her coming. The same Forever Unbridled that had no excuse in the Distaff, where Songbird got placed second in error. It’s all there to see on the slow motion replay where JD Bailey called Songbird the winner.
No excuse? An argument can be made that she was best in the Distaff that year. Slow pace shes the only horse to make up ground.
Forever Unbridled > Songbird
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Havre de Grace

Question. Answer honestly. Did you think FU was going by Songbird and Beholder in the Distaff ?

You see where FU was on the turn. When she is in that position, does she not usually roll by ? What happened? Certainly if she was better, she would have showed it late vs 2 who had battled head and head for so long.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

Nicest thing you ever said about Songbird... is Zenyatta next?
Old 01-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
As 4YOs, Close Hatches was the better horse, as Songbird was not particularly good as a 4YO and Close Hatches was, until she wasn't...which shouldn't be ignored.

Suggesting Songbird wasn't a good 2YO because Baffert didn't have a good one is idiotic. She was a brilliant 2YO. Once again, tell me the last one that was better. Her 3YO year was sensational. She just didn't improve from two to three, but she was still much better than her ( admittedly ) weak competition. Don't forget, Forever Unbridled was a 4YO when they met in the BC. As a 3YO, Forever Unbridled couldn't have warmed up Songbird.

You are going WAY overboard....frankly more than her delusional fans that dramatically overrated her. She was a terrific horse. It's not her fault some of her fans evaluated her unreasonably.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Longchamps

Songbird was a fun horse to watch and amazing at 2 years old. Overall 9 grade 1 wins. On a side note watching your nets up in Boston tonight Andy.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Songbird was a fun horse to watch and amazing at 2 years old. Overall 9 grade 1 wins. On a side note watching your nets up in Boston tonight Andy.
Stephen A says they have a shot at AD.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I wasn't her biggest fan, but I had a ton of respect for the horse. She shipped everywhere and won. Graded stakes wins at Del Mar, Santa Anita, Keenland, Saratoga, Parx, Belmont and Delaware. At distances from 6F to 10F.

Her speed figures weren't legendary, but she ran a lot and didn't duck anyone.
Cool horse.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Stephen A says they have a shot at AD.
Nets or Celtics? He will be in Boston if lakers don’t get him this season
Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Nice. Tough game but they're competing. They need to work through the injuries over the next six weeks.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Nice. Tough game but they're competing. They need to work through the injuries over the next six weeks.
They keep grinding. Every time Celtics look like they pull away nets come right back. Wish my Knicks had this heart
Old 01-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Nets or Celtics? He will be in Boston if lakers don’t get him this season
Nets.