Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy View Post
I can't have any of this Andy and had to respond - if you want to say more accomplished etc yeah than the races that Zenyatta has won has trumped Black Caviar in terms of prestige and accomplishment but I doubt you could find a rating system that had Zenyatta as a better horse than Black Caviar - Timeform and Racing Post Ratings have BC as a fair few pounds ahead of Zenyatta. For example Zenyatta never ran a race according to the Racing Post Ratings over 130 - in comparison Black Caviar has 9 such races! her recorded times, speeds etc are extraordinary in a fairly competitive open sprint market in Australia beating very good sprints comfortably.

In my eyes there is no question who the better horse is but hey that's just my take on it - I'm just interested in how you can rate Zenyatta as a far superior horse?
Disagreements make the world go round. I'm just glad you didn't have a temper tantrum and call me a slew of names.

I don't rank turf sprinters very highly. After seeing what a horse like Cannonball did at Royal Ascot a few years ago, it's hard for me to rate even the best one of all time as one of the greats in the game, and given what we saw Saturday, I can't elevate Black Caviar substantially in my esteem. Perhaps this is ignorance on my part, and surely I am not familiar with Australian racing, but given the evidence I have witnessed in the sport, I am not ready to change that opinion. Doesn't make me right....but it's still my opinion.

As far as Timeform ratings, especially for American horses, given I don't have any idea how they are formed, and what factors are used, I am not inclined to pay them great heed in this case. I prefer to stick with what has worked for me. I'm not knocking them, I just don't understand them, therefore I can't use them to form my opinions.

I'm not trying to knock Black Caviar, and God knows I'm no big Zenyatta fan, but I still think her overall talent exceded that of Black Caviar. Like I said, it doesn't make me right, but someone is going to have to do a lot more to convince me otherwise.

In thinking about this, I ask myself how I would compare Zenyatta to Groovy, perhaps the best dirt sprinter I ever saw, and I'm not sure how I would answer. With all due respect, at their very best, I am not qualified to rate Black Caviar as highly as Groovy. Maybe she is better, but I can't evaluate any evidence that would say so. So maybe I shouldn't even have made the original analogy, though I still believe I am right, but I don't have a problem if someone feels otherwise. I feel much more strongly that Zenyatta wasn't one of the five best fillies or mares I ever saw race. That I could easily back up.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I don't rank turf sprinters very highly. After seeing what a horse like Cannonball did at Royal Ascot a few years ago, it's hard for me to rate even the best one of all time as one of the greats in the game, and given what we saw Saturday, I can't elevate Black Caviar substantially in my esteem.
Are you rating your esteem of Black Caviar on one race?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Disagreements make the world go round. I'm just glad you didn't have a temper tantrum and call me a slew of names.

I don't rank turf sprinters very highly. After seeing what a horse like Cannonball did at Royal Ascot a few years ago, it's hard for me to rate even the best one of all time as one of the greats in the game, and given what we saw Saturday, I can't elevate Black Caviar substantially in my esteem. Perhaps this is ignorance on my part, and surely I am not familiar with Australian racing, but given the evidence I have witnessed in the sport, I am not ready to change that opinion. Doesn't make me right....but it's still my opinion.

As far as Timeform ratings, especially for American horses, given I don't have any idea how they are formed, and what factors are used, I am not inclined to pay them great heed in this case. I prefer to stick with what has worked for me. I'm not knocking them, I just don't understand them, therefore I can't use them to form my opinions.

I'm not trying to knock Black Caviar, and God knows I'm no big Zenyatta fan, but I still think her overall talent exceded that of Black Caviar. Like I said, it doesn't make me right, but someone is going to have to do a lot more to convince me otherwise.

In thinking about this, I ask myself how I would compare Zenyatta to Groovy, perhaps the best dirt sprinter I ever saw, and I'm not sure how I would answer. With all due respect, at their very best, I am not qualified to rate Black Caviar as highly as Groovy. Maybe she is better, but I can't evaluate any evidence that would say so. So maybe I shouldn't even have made the original analogy, though I still believe I am right, but I don't have a problem if someone feels otherwise. I feel much more strongly that Zenyatta wasn't one of the five best fillies or mares I ever saw race. That I could easily back up.
Groovy the best dirt sprinter you ever saw? I really didn't think there was anyone left who thought that.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Groovy the best dirt sprinter you ever saw? I really didn't think there was anyone left who thought that.
Who was better?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Who was better?
He will tell you Phone Trick.

Nevermind the fact that they met on the track.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/21/sp...s-victory.html
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
He will tell you Phone Trick.

Nevermind the fact that they met on the track.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/21/sp...s-victory.html
Dude, I was there.

Phone Trick was great as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I wasn't
Were you even born yet.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Who was better?
Chinook Pass

Midnight Lute
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Were you even born yet.
Yes.

As a matter of fact -- at birth, I wasn't delivered in a traditional manner -- rather, I JUMPED out of the womb, on my way to doing a 360 up in the doctor's face, and in doing so, I impressed the nurse* to no end with my smoooove game, making it a simple matter to get those panties off, and drop the hammer with my erect since day one instrument of female bliss.

From that moment on, I knew I was destined for Internet greatness.

* - OK...so she was a little chunky. I was young, cut me some fucl<ing slack
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Chinook Pass
Very doubtful. He was 0-for-3 lifetime in Graded Stakes races and got caught at Los Al in his California debut.

Maybe the fastest horse for a quarter mile or half mile of all-time -- but he does not belong in the discussion of all-time top dirt sprinters IMO.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Very doubtful. He was 0-for-3 lifetime in Graded Stakes races and got caught at Los Al in his California debut.

Maybe the fastest horse for a quarter mile or half mile of all-time -- but he does not belong in the discussion of all-time top dirt sprinters IMO.
Laffit Pincay told me he was not only the best sprinter he ever rode, but one of the best horses period.

I think he very much does belong in that discussion.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Pincay Jr. is a jockey. Chinook Pass never won a Graded Stakes race. He was just 1-for-5 lifetime beyond 6.5 furlongs. He was a run-off speed horse.

Here is the lifetime record of Chinook Pass when he had a lead of 1.5 lengths or less at the 1st call.

June 27th 1981: Washington Bred maiden race at Long Acres. Chinook Pass leads by 1.5 lengths at 1st call. Wins by 2 lengths.

Aug 30th 1981: Gottstein Futurity for Washington Breds at Long Acres: Chinook Pass led by only a half length at the 1st call -- he finished 11th beaten 17 lengths.

April 10th 1982: $3,000 Allowance race at Portland Meadows. Chinook Pass led by only 1 length after the 1st call. He won the race by one length.

July 5th 1982: Seattle Slew handicap at Long Acres. Chinook Pass led by just a head at the 1st call. He finished last of 14 and was eased in the stretch.

Aug 22nd 1982: Long Acres Mile. Chinook Pass leads by just a half length at the 1st call. Finishes 2nd.

Nov 14th 1982: National Sprint Challenge Division 2: Chinook Pass had a poor start and didn't make the lead. Finished 3rd.

Jan 2nd 1983: Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita. Chinook Pass leads by 1.5 lengths at the 1st call. Finishes 6th beaten 16 lengths.

Mar 13th 1983: Phoenix Gold Cup at Turf Paradise: Chinook Pass is only in front by a head at the 1st call. Finishes 5th at odds of 2/5.

Just a record of 8-2-1-0. One of the two wins came in a Washington Bred maiden race. The other came in a $3,000 allowance race at Portland Meadows.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Pincay Jr. is a jockey. Chinook Pass never won a Graded Stakes race. He was just 1-for-5 lifetime beyond 6.5 furlongs. He was a run-off speed horse.

Here is the lifetime record of Chinook Pass when he had a lead of 1.5 lengths or less at the 1st call.

June 27th 1981: Washington Bred maiden race at Long Acres. Chinook Pass leads by 1.5 lengths at 1st call. Wins by 2 lengths.

Aug 30th 1981: Gottstein Futurity for Washington Breds at Long Acres: Chinook Pass led by only a half length at the 1st call -- he finished 11th beaten 17 lengths.

April 10th 1982: $3,000 Allowance race at Portland Meadows. Chinook Pass led by only 1 length after the 1st call. He won the race by one length.

July 5th 1982: Seattle Slew handicap at Long Acres. Chinook Pass led by just a head at the 1st call. He finished last of 14 and was eased in the stretch.

Aug 22nd 1982: Long Acres Mile. Chinook Pass leads by just a half length at the 1st call. Finishes 2nd.

Nov 14th 1982: National Sprint Challenge Division 2: Chinook Pass had a poor start and didn't make the lead. Finished 3rd.

Jan 2nd 1983: Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita. Chinook Pass leads by 1.5 lengths at the 1st call. Finishes 6th beaten 16 lengths.

Mar 13th 1983: Phoenix Gold Cup at Turf Paradise: Chinook Pass is only in front by a head at the 1st call. Finishes 5th at odds of 2/5.

Just a record of 8-2-1-0. One of the two wins came in a Washington Bred maiden race. The other came in a $3,000 allowance race at Portland Meadows.
He was clearly in the class of Groovy and Phone Trick.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gary Stevens was the worst at that. He had a new 'best horse I ever rode' every season.

Kent Desormeaux is pretty close as well. He was on a lot of good horses including Formal Gold in his prime -- and after the Preakness he called Big Brown the best he ever rode.

Mike Smith called Zenyatta the best he ever rode -- and that included Skip Away, Cigar, and Holy Bull among others.

Can anyone imagine Affirmed getting beat by 7 or more lengths at Long Acres on 3 different occasions? Or how about Affirmed getting caught late at Los Alimotis. Or, how about Affirmed finishing 5th at Turf Paradise.

I don't fault anyone for thinking Chinook Pass was one of the fastest horses ever for a half mile or so and he was definitely a great performer on a few occasions -- but he was a runoff and had a lot of bad races on his form.

I have no idea who the greatest sprinter ever was. Dr. Fager was pretty amazing sprinting. There are a lot of great sprinters throughout history starting with Roseben and ending with horses like Kona Gold and Midnight Lute.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Gary Stevens was the worst at that. He had a new 'best horse I ever rode' every season.

Kent Desormeaux is pretty close as well. He was on a lot of good horses including Formal Gold in his prime -- and after the Preakness he called Big Brown the best he ever rode.

Mike Smith called Zenyatta the best he ever rode -- and that included Skip Away, Cigar, and Holy Bull among others.

Can anyone imagine Affirmed getting beat by 7 or more lengths at Long Acres on 3 different occasions? Or how about Affirmed getting caught late at Los Alimotis. Or, how about Affirmed finishing 5th at Turf Paradise.

I don't fault anyone for thinking Chinook Pass was one of the fastest horses ever for a half mile or so and he was definitely a great performer on a few occasions -- but he was a runoff and had a lot of bad races on his form.

I have no idea who the greatest sprinter ever was. Dr. Fager was pretty amazing sprinting. There are a lot of great sprinters throughout history starting with Roseben and ending with horses like Kona Gold and Midnight Lute.
He may not have been the best. But my all time favorite sprinter is Dancing In Silks

Hey. Here's something that might be fun. The interview I did with Pincay was in 2003 for a radio piece I did for his 50th birthday.

In that conversation he spoke of the 4 or 5 greatest horses he ever rode. Can you guess who they were? One caught me completely off guard.

Added note: Laffit is going to be a guest this year at the Handicapping Seminar at the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa. He'll be appearing alongside Russell Baze on Sat. July 28. Over 21,000 wins sitting on one stage in Wine Country. The show is hosted by Frank Miramahdi and Michael Patricks. Pretty cool huh?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Randwyck

What about Lost in the fog or Caller One
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Who was better?
Phone Trick, as Salami will no doubt say I am going to say. PT lost because of the instructions Mandella gave Pincay and he's blamed himself ever since.

Groovy, on a loose lead, was damn tough, but he was not the most consistent or gamest horse ever.

On the Line, once Lukas figured him out, was awesome. Lit De Justice ran races that could take your breath away.

I'd say those three, on their best days, would beat Groovy on his best day.

One could make cases for horses like Kona Gold, Chinook Pass, maybe Reraise (who knows how good he may have been?).

Phone Trick though? Wow.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM
Goodwood

Quote:

You speak in ignorance with this one. The graded stakes race thing is meaningless. Racing was different back then (the way stakes were structured) and quite a few of those listed stakes are now graded. It's too bad you've never seen video of him run.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
He was clearly in the class of Groovy and Phone Trick.
Especially as a four year old.

Anyone who ever saw that horse run when he was older knew they were watching greatness.

I'd like to have seen Ack Ack run. Were you ever so lucky to see him race?